Scamp Axle repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
Scamp Axle repair

I have a '77 Scamp that is a great tent on wheels, no working frig or heat though I did install a nice new fan on top. It is showing signs of needing a new axle (everything ends up on the floor that is not bungeed down when I travel with it, and the last time I took it to get the bearings greased, they had a very hard time trying to get the wheels off and on).

So, I'm concerned about the axle, but don't want to pay $1,000 (at least) to replace it. Is there any way to improve the performance of the axle without replacing it with a new one? I'm in Santa Fe. Anyone really savvy on axles out there?
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm moving this topic to the Towing forum, in hopes somebody can help Eileen with her question.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
When they greased the bearings,did they jack it up by the frame or axle?Even if the axle is worn out,if they jacked it up by the frame like they are supposed to the axle should drop down so the tires would come off pretty easily.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's not much you can repair if it's worn out. I was going to suggest Red Neck Trailer, but I don't see a location in your area. Check to see if you can find a utility trailer builder in your area. Replacing the axle on your trailer (with brakes!) will (should) be $500-$600. I'm sure it's time... your trailer is 34 years old.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
When they greased the bearings,did they jack it up by the frame or axle?Even if the axle is worn out,if they jacked it up by the frame like they are supposed to the axle should drop down so the tires would come off pretty easily.
Thanks, Brian

I don't remember how they jacked it up, except that it was still hitched to my truck and it looked like it was jacked up at a weird angle.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's not much you can repair if it's worn out. I was going to suggest Red Neck Trailer, but I don't see a location in your area. Check to see if you can find a utility trailer builder in your area. Replacing the axle on your trailer (with brakes!) will (should) be $500-$600. I'm sure it's time... your trailer is 34 years old.
Donna,

What a great idea! I bet I can find someone in Albuquerque.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Eileen, you could also call Redneck Trailer's main office (877-9Redneck) and find out the closest independent/distributor to you. The welder who ordered my Dexter axle uses Redneck Trailer to order his trailer parts, and we're a couple hours from the closest actual Redneck Trailer location. So, proximity may not matter - if you can find a local person who uses them. Also, my entire quote was $550 which included welding a couple other items too - so Donna was spot on!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp