Scamp Axle Replacement - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Posts: 29
Scamp Axle Replacement

I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?
__________________

__________________
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 446
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Here is the label from the new axle, as you can see, it is a 2200 lb axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp axle.JPG  
__________________

__________________
LyleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Posts: 29
Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks for the advice. Will call Scamp and get the details.
__________________
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 2,971
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If your axel is welded on, now is the time to have the welder that removes it to raise and bolt on the new one.
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Posts: 3
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
__________________
Karen Havink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 2,971
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look for the oldest welding shop around.
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Havink View Post
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Nope, sorry, Michigan here.
__________________
LyleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,497
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Banashek View Post
I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?
Your trailer's original axle was a 1200 pound leading arm axle, but you could upgrade to the 2200 pound axle with no real negative consequences.
Going from a leading arm to a trailing arm would require a little more attention than a direct replacement but that too could be done eventhough they do make a leading arm 2200 pound axle as well.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 934
You can also have an axle made and you can specify the load rating you want.
I had mine made by Flexiride and specified 3000 lb rating instead of 3300.
If the axle is rated too high the ride will be rougher.
In retrospect I should have asked for a 2800 lb axle.
The actual strength of the assembly is the same, but the deflection is less with the higher rating so less movement of the suspension results.
You may prefer the stiffer ride though.


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Here is the label from the new axle, as you can see, it is a 2200 lb axle.
Can't read the name of the manufacturer that made the axle. Do you know what state they are in?
__________________
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 934
Lippert Component Inc.
574/312-6425
Variant # V000213737
S/N 045-0353566
P/N LCI DTB-63-49.75-OD-22U-HPIB-SM-L-545/7 GAWR 2200#
3501 County Road 6 East, Elkhart
Indiana 46514
574-535-1125
customerservice@lci1.com
__________________
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Posts: 29
Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks so much! I am taking the trailer to a trailer repair place next week to get an estimate.
__________________
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Posts: 26
I have the same exact model as you. The guy I bought it from replaced the axle with a straight axle and leaf springs. It raised the scamp about 8". It pulls great but it's just too high. I'm replacing the axle with this 4" drop axle—It's only $109.. Trailer Axle 2-3/8" Round Drop 65.25 Hf- 49937 | Round Trailer Axles 2.38 3500lb Drop | Tie Down Eng | TrailerPartsDepot.com
I'm getting it put on tomorrow
__________________
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Posts: 29
Scamp Axle Replacement

Let me know if it works for you.
__________________

__________________
Eileen Banashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1984 Scamp 13 Axle Replacement JD Eben Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 08-05-2015 01:18 PM
Best (easiest?) way to lift a Scamp 5er - New axle vs Axle-Less Trailer Suspension dreschool Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 7 06-26-2015 04:28 PM
Leaf Spring/Axle replacement for a Scamp 13 DanMurphy Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 02-16-2008 01:56 PM
Axle replacement in S. Ontario Roy in TO Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 4 05-27-2006 06:33 AM
$2000-2500 Axle Replacement? Chris Seddon Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 03-28-2006 01:26 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Taco

Nate R

Bigfoot

Rick M
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.