Scamp Axle Replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
New Mexico
Scamp Axle Replacement

I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Here is the label from the new axle, as you can see, it is a 2200 lb axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp axle.JPG  

Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

New Mexico
Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks for the advice. Will call Scamp and get the details.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If your axel is welded on, now is the time to have the welder that removes it to raise and bolt on the new one.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look for the oldest welding shop around.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Havink View Post
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Nope, sorry, Michigan here.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Banashek View Post
I have a 1977 13" Scamp. Needs a new axle. Not sure what weight rating to use. The Scamp Owner's Manual says the 13 footer uses a 2200 pound axle. My trailer has no heater, frig, or toilet and is practically empty when I tow it. Has anyone else replaced a torsion bar axle? What weight rated axle did you use? Any other advice on replacing the axle?
Your trailer's original axle was a 1200 pound leading arm axle, but you could upgrade to the 2200 pound axle with no real negative consequences.
Going from a leading arm to a trailing arm would require a little more attention than a direct replacement but that too could be done eventhough they do make a leading arm 2200 pound axle as well.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You can also have an axle made and you can specify the load rating you want.
I had mine made by Flexiride and specified 3000 lb rating instead of 3300.
If the axle is rated too high the ride will be rougher.
In retrospect I should have asked for a 2800 lb axle.
The actual strength of the assembly is the same, but the deflection is less with the higher rating so less movement of the suspension results.
You may prefer the stiffer ride though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I replaced the axle on my '99 Scamp 13 earlier this year. I bought the axle from Scamp so that I was sure to get the correct one, plus, they had it in stock and shipped it out within 2 days, I had it within 4 or 5 days. The wait to buy it direct from the axle manufacturer was about 6 weeks.

I had a local metal fabricating company install the axle. I gave them Scamp's customer service number to call if they had any questions. They did, indeed, call Scamp and received all the measurements and suggestions from the Scamp folks to install the axle as a bolt on, instead of welded on. Will make any future servicing much easier. They said the folks at Scamp were extremely helpful. Not certain they would be so helpful if you bypass them for purchasing the axle - just a thought.

Plus, now is the time to add brakes, if you want them and don't have them. Some states require them on ALL travel trailers that use their highways.

Here is the label from the new axle, as you can see, it is a 2200 lb axle.
Can't read the name of the manufacturer that made the axle. Do you know what state they are in?
Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Lippert Component Inc.
574/312-6425
Variant # V000213737
S/N 045-0353566
P/N LCI DTB-63-49.75-OD-22U-HPIB-SM-L-545/7 GAWR 2200#
3501 County Road 6 East, Elkhart
Indiana 46514
574-535-1125
customerservice@lci1.com
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

New Mexico
Scamp Axle Replacement

Thanks so much! I am taking the trailer to a trailer repair place next week to get an estimate.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
I have the same exact model as you. The guy I bought it from replaced the axle with a straight axle and leaf springs. It raised the scamp about 8". It pulls great but it's just too high. I'm replacing the axle with this 4" drop axle—It's only $109.. Trailer Axle 2-3/8" Round Drop 65.25 Hf- 49937 | Round Trailer Axles 2.38 3500lb Drop | Tie Down Eng | TrailerPartsDepot.com
I'm getting it put on tomorrow
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

New Mexico
Scamp Axle Replacement

Let me know if it works for you.

Tags
axle, scamp