Scamp restore questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: david
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Scamp restore questions

Despite my 'not buying it if it needs a new axle' comment in my previous post--I bought it. So, now I need a new axle with hubs for a 1975 Scamp 13.

I've read a couple of posts on axle replacement, and have bookmarked the Dexter and Redneck Trailer websites, but I am hoping to get info and suggestions from FRV members on which axle, hubs and wheels to get.

I plan to stay under 1500lbsGVW, keeping me in the range of a Dexter #9, yes? And would not mind slightly larger wheels/tires if that is an option.

Any suggestions welcome. I shall update my profile promptly.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Congratulations. Perhaps Scamp will share the dimensions / specifications with you so you can order it exactly. My only other suggestion would be to be sure to upgrade to electric brakes at this opportunity.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
My axle was bolted on. I unbolted and removed it. I took it to the axle dealer and told them to match it, then add brakes. They did the measurements. In my case, they made a mistake and had to reorder. If they measure its their responsibility.

If you don't have brakes, now is a good time to add them.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I replace our 1990 13' Scamp axle with a Flexiride axle, because one can adjust the ride height at any time, and even adjust/level the trailer side to side for uneven perm. loads such as water tank location etc. The configuration was changed at this time from a leading arm to a trailing arm axle, and I was able to reuse our original hubs & brakes. I had it done at a trailer shop, and eventhough initially they built the axle off from the removed axle, they somehow screwed up and had to build another axle at their cost.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
.......... They did the measurements. In my case, they made a mistake and had to reorder..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
...... I had it done at a trailer shop, and even though initially they built the axle off from the removed axle, they somehow screwed up and had to build another axle at their cost.
Do I spot a trend? Measure carefully.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Do I spot a trend? Measure carefully.
Or just order from Scamp in the first place.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Florida
Thanks all, great info!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I have two suggestions, which may not be practical but worthy of consideration.

If you are changing axles and can match the wheel size, bolt pattern and offset of the tires and wheels of the tow vehicle to the trailer you can either eliminate the weight of carrying two spares or else have two spares suitable for both the TV and trailer. I lean towards carrying only one spare unless you are carrying a lot of weight on unimproved roads. Another option might be to carry only one mounted tire and a second unmounted.

I am considering this for weight savings, reliability, and because I don't have space for a full size spare in one TV and I plan to remove my spare from the other to make room for a large auxiliary fuel tank extending my range.

My other preference on trailer wheels is for galvanized wheels. I never garage trailers so the wheels rust and look unsightly eventually. Galvanized wheel never rust. I suppose Aluminum is as good but much more costly.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Or just order from Scamp in the first place.
That's what I did. They sent all the brackets I needed to make it a bolt on instead of weld on mount, frame sections and a new crossmember to raise the camper to the height I needed (all 3 pieces perfectly cut to length already), and an axle the right width, with the correct mounts, and the bolt pattern I wanted. They build the thing, who better to get it right the first time?

Easy choice for me.

As for spares, I couldn't care less if they match the vehicle. I won't leave the driveway without two dedicated spares for any trailer. The only exception is my 4x8 trailer which doesn't usually see over 500 lbs, I only carry one spare for that.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
If you are changing axles and can match the wheel size, bolt pattern and offset of the tires and wheels of the tow vehicle to the trailer you can either eliminate the weight of carrying two spares or else have two spares suitable for both the TV and trailer.
It happens that the stud pattern on my current axle matches my Element's pattern, and I would definitely eliminate a spare if I could. The Element is one of those 4 cyl 1500lb tow capacity vehicles, which was why I held out for a Scamp 13, instead of popping for a pop up.

Jared, Did you have to cut the old axle off, but could bolt the new one on? I am hoping for a no-weld reinstall.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Matching wheels from tug to tow is more than just matching stud patterns and size of wheel. Travel trailer wheels are zero offset. Vehicle wheels usually aren't and they will not fit on the tow axle. Don't assume anything. Before you get out on the road make absolutely certain a spare tire fits. You don't want to get stranded!

Been there, done that and it didn't work.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendavid View Post
Jared, Did you have to cut the old axle off, but could bolt the new one on? I am hoping for a no-weld reinstall.
The new brackets get welded to the frame, then the axle bolts to them.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

Florida
Thanks Donna and Jared, good to know about wheel offset and bracket weld.

Tags
scamp