Scamp sway - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16ft.
British Columbia
Posts: 22
Scamp sway

I just bought a 98 Scamp 16ft an upgrade from a 73 Trillium. I added a bike rack to the back which seems to have caused a sway to happen, take the bikes and rack off tows fine. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject. Thanks John T.
__________________

__________________
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT33 View Post
I just bought a 98 Scamp 16ft an upgrade from a 73 Trillium. I added a bike rack to the back which seems to have caused a sway to happen, take the bikes and rack off tows fine. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject. Thanks John T.
You have solved your own problem and you are not the first to experience this.. or the 350th either.
__________________

__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT33 View Post
I just bought a 98 Scamp 16ft an upgrade from a 73 Trillium. I added a bike rack to the back which seems to have caused a sway to happen, take the bikes and rack off tows fine. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject. Thanks John T.
yup , here's my idea...( thanks for the picture Mary)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7915.jpg 1.jpg  
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Putting the bikes on the tongue will increase tongue weight. Note that Floyd has no propane tanks on the tongue ( or did you take them off for the picture ?).
Moving weight from one place to another is going to alter performance.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,565
Registry
The weight at the back has likely reduced tongue weight below the recommended 10-12% of total weight. Short-term solution is to add weight to the front of the trailer and reduce speed. Long-term solution might involve relocating at least one of the bicycles. It may depend on what kind of bikes they are and how much they weigh.

We do carry two on the back of ours without sway, but they are very light aluminum-framed bicycles, about 30 pounds each. Some large steel-framed bikes can approach twice that. We have nothing else heavy aft of the axle, and chairs, awning, ice chest, and water jug are stowed forward.

This is definitely not something to blow off. Sway is very dangerous. Here are some things that help:
  • Concentrate cargo weight over the axle rather than on the ends of the trailer.
  • Maintain at least 10-12% tongue weight.
  • Install ST tires designed for trailers with stiffer sidewalls.
  • Inflate tires to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
  • Empty the water tank.
  • Slow down.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Putting the bikes on the tongue will increase tongue weight. Note that Floyd has no propane tanks on the tongue ( or did you take them off for the picture ?).
Moving weight from one place to another is going to alter performance.
There are no propane tanks on that tongue because the rack was just fabbed and installed Friday,the day the picture was taken. The double tank rack was removed for the install and a single will replace it when the brackets are purchased. This is for fit and convenience, weight is only a secondary consideration.
Actually two decent bikes weigh little more than one full propane tank, the application in post#3 will add less than a net twenty pounds to the tongue including the bikes.
Below find my two bike rack which was my first design (now twelve years of successful towing).... note that the pictures are all at near maximum turning point.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0044.JPG   DSCF0045.JPG  

DSCF0046.JPG  
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The weight at the back has likely reduced tongue weight below the recommended 10-12% of total weight. Short-term solution is to add weight to the front of the trailer and reduce speed. Long-term solution might involve relocating at least one of the bicycles. It may depend on what kind of bikes they are and how much they weigh.

We do carry two on the back of ours without sway, but they are very light aluminum-framed bicycles, about 30 pounds each. Some large steel-framed bikes can approach twice that. We have nothing else heavy aft of the axle, and chairs, awning, ice chest, and water jug are stowed forward.

This is definitely not something to blow off. Sway is very dangerous. Here are some things that help:
  • Concentrate cargo weight over the axle rather than on the ends of the trailer.
  • Maintain at least 10-12% tongue weight.
  • Install ST tires designed for trailers with stiffer sidewalls.
  • Inflate tires to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
  • Empty the water tank.
  • Slow down.
I don't doubt your weight estimates, in fact my CRO-MO 820 weighs over 30 pounds with a loaded trunk on a rear rack, two bottle racks, etc. The trunk includes pump, tube, tools and a back pack. (27 pounds for the bike alone)
You got me curious so I went out and weighed two of my other bikes...

1988 Trek 400... double butt welded CRO-MO frame, fork and pedals, steel bar with clips, bottle racks and seat pack installed....24 pounds

1988 Trek 1400...glued aluminum frame,aluminum fork and bar with clips, seat pack and bottle rack....23 pounds.

I discarded the three position bars on both bikes and installed custom bars of my own design on each.
A bit of a surprise that the difference was only one pound.

Then there is the new Trek Emonda the lightest production bike in the world......
The Émonda is not just a super light dream bike, it is a full line of bicycles starting with the $1650 Émonda S4 that weighs 19.27lbs, to the $15750, 10.25lb Émonda SLR 10. An Émonda SLR frameset is $4200.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I have a 16' with a bike rack on the rear but no sway issues with either of the two tow vehicles I have pulled it with. I attribute that to a a number of factors:

1) I use the lightest good quality bike rack I could purchase - have a Kuat 2 bike rack - it only weighs 11lbs & rides very stable - very little movement of the rack. . Performs better than a couple of heavier more expensive racks I own & more stable.

2) I never carry heavy bikes such as mountain bikes on it. Only very light road bikes or crossovers containing a lot of carbon fiber. If I need to bring a heavier bike it rides in the trailer.

3) Move heavier items out of the rear hatches into the front hatches

4) Never travel with water in the fresh tank or the grey water tanks.

5) Keep my propane tank full.

6) As mine is the side bath model it has bunks at the front so there is really not a great deal of storage up front - so I tend to keep the tongue set slightly below level in order to get the weight up a bit more. Find I need at least 240lbs (if bikes on the rear I need 250lbs) on the tongue for it to be a solid tow at highway speeds - which is 10% of the axle weight which routinely comes in at about 2400lbs with the trailer loaded.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
The OP didn't mention speed at which sway was occurring. All trailer will go into sway at some speed. The trick is make sure that sway speed is well above the speed you tow at. The closer the two come together the more likely uncontrollable sway will happen.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,565
Registry
Scamp sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't doubt your weight estimates, in fact my CRO-MO 820 weighs over 30 pounds with a loaded trunk on a rear rack, two bottle racks, etc. The trunk includes pump, tube, tools and a back pack. (27 pounds for the bike alone)
You got me curious so I went out and weighed two of my other bikes...

1988 Trek 400... double butt welded CRO-MO frame, fork and pedals, steel bar with clips, bottle racks and seat pack installed....24 pounds

1988 Trek 1400...glued aluminum frame,aluminum fork and bar with clips, seat pack and bottle rack....23 pounds.

I discarded the three position bars on both bikes and installed custom bars of my own design on each.
A bit of a surprise that the difference was only one pound.

Then there is the new Trek Emonda the lightest production bike in the world......
The Émonda is not just a super light dream bike, it is a full line of bicycles starting with the $1650 Émonda S4 that weighs 19.27lbs, to the $15750, 10.25lb Émonda SLR 10. An Émonda SLR frameset is $4200.
My bicycles are far more modest than those, Floyd. We bought aluminum-framed, single-speed cruiser bikes (La Jolla, about $100 from Walmart.com). The manufacturer lists them at 33 pounds, but I removed the fenders and store the seats inside for towing, so about 30 pounds.

Point is when carrying bikes on the back of very small trailers, pounds matter. There's a big difference between the lightest and heaviest bicycles.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16ft.
British Columbia
Posts: 22
Thanks everyone for the input I am looking at a couple of options one being storing bikes in the trailer for traveling which is a pain but maybe the best option. The other building a platform rake on the back and mounting the spare under the tongue which may do it. Thanks again for the ideas. John T
__________________
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT33 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input I am looking at a couple of options one being storing bikes in the trailer for traveling which is a pain but maybe the best option. ...
Somewhere (on this forum I think) I saw where someone had adopted a bike roof mount (the type where you remove the front wheel and attach the bike's front fork to a bracket) and used it inside the trailer. If I recall right, it was on a board that could be stored in the front porta-potty space and slide out as needed.
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Somewhere (on this forum I think) I saw where someone had adopted a bike roof mount (the type where you remove the front wheel and attach the bike's front fork to a bracket) and used it inside the trailer. If I recall right, it was on a board that could be stored in the front porta-potty space and slide out as needed.
This one?

carrying bikes
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,333
Those fork mounts can be purchased from etrailer, Amazon, and other places. I mounted two on a piece of plywood that sets in my pickup bed. I have to pull off the front wheels because I have a cap on the truck, not high enough to stand the bikes upright with both wheels on.
__________________

__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sway with a 16" scamp Dawn HSV Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 57 02-17-2016 08:49 PM
13' Scamp..do we need sway bars? Ric Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 41 02-15-2013 11:10 PM
WDH and sway control for Scamp 16 ft Tom and Karin Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 10-01-2012 04:37 PM
sway bar recommedation, Scamp 13 vs Casita 13 Karen M Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 7 02-13-2009 08:04 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.