Scamp trailer-TV connector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp trailer-TV connector

Recently I inspected a Scamp 16' mid-80's design. I was surprised to find that the wiring harness connector had a 7 round pin configuration as opposed to the flat tabs or slot configuration. Are there other versions than these 2 examples out there that a buyer should be aware of. Had I wanted to purchase and drive away i wouldn't have been able since i had a slot connector. Are there better terms to use when inquiring as opposed to my "round pin" or "slot/tab" descriptions? Nothing would worse than to drive a significant distance only to find the wrong connector. Are there temporary 4 to 7 adapters for both depending upon one might encounter while doing their search? I would rather not hard wire prematurely.
thanks for any feedback
Ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There are a number of connectors out there. You can learn more here:

Adapters Wiring | etrailer.com
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ramsey a mid-80s trailer is nearly 30 years old. Kinda like the one I have. I KNOW the connector has been changed at least three times in it's 24 year life. Nothing can be considered consistent when you're talking about the age of a trailer.

My suggestion, if you're going to look at a trailer and may buy, is ask the seller what kind of connector. OR, go by Wally World or any RV parts place and buy several adapters, use the one you need and return those you don't.

rv tow vehicle - Walmart.com
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The 7 pin connector has connections for 1 hot wire, back-up lights and brakes along with the Stop/Turn and running lights. Look to C if the camper has brakes and a battery.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While there are adapters for most combinations, luck has it that the one you have won't be the right one or the connector on the trailer won't be wired correctly.

What I did was buy an inexpensive set of Magnetic Tow Lights at Harbor Freight and take those with me when I go look a a trailer. If the connector fits, that's fine, if not I just string the wires to the back and attach the magnetic bases to the rear bumper and secure everything with wire ties. But this won't work on trailers with fiberglass covered bumpers, but you can use some duct take to hold them in place on those.

Costs less than $20 and you are prepared for any occasion.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
What I did was buy an inexpensive set of Magnetic Tow Lights at Harbor Freight and take those with me when go look a a trailer.........
Great suggestion. These light sets are frequently on sale for $10 with a coupon from popular magazines. I also agree about the duct tape. The magnet is only marginal.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you have ever had trailer lights stop working then you know just how important it is to carry a set of these Harbor Freight light sets.

Should it be the tow vehicle wiring that has gone bad, you can connect the light set to the on board camper battery to give running lights.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp