Searchable Tow Ratings Data Base - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Searchable Tow Ratings Data Base

This Data Base from Camping Life provides some basic tow rating information over a wide range of makes and years.

Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine

That said, always verify the exact specifications for your vehicle with the owners manual or the manufacturer. (Not the verbal say-so of the service guy at the dealership)

Moderators: Should this be a sticky???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'd be much happier if it had the ability to add "Tow Package" to the vehicles that make that available as an option. I'd also like to see a bit more low end weight options - 2500 to 5000 is quite a jump, at least for fiberglass trailers.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Take a look at how it actually works:

Just select "0" lbs. minimum, and 5000 lbs maximum to get tow limit data on all models of the vehicle selected that will tow up to 5000 lbs..

Many of the results will show provide both with and without tow package information. Scroll down when you get to the data for the vehicle entered.

For example, for a 1995 Jeep Cherokee it shows theree different combinations, both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder and, although 2000 lbs is standard, it also shows 5000 lbs with the factory tow package.

Again, this provides a starting point, verify any and all information with the manufacturer.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
It is off by 1500 lbs fro my 2010 RAV4...

On edit - never mind - I got it to work.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

I made this thread a "sticky" so it won't get lost in subsequent conversations.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Thank You Fred....

Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While I agree that a searchable database is nice, I also agree that it is critical to confirm any information from it with a much more reliable source, much more specific to the vehicle being considered.

One problem is that if the database does suggest an inappropriate vehicle you can eliminate it in later verification, but if doesn't suggest a vehicle you'll just never know to consider it.

It also has lots of errors. For instance, the Toyota Sienna has a towing capacity of 3500 lb when properly equipped, in every year of three generations from 1998 to the present; although it is listed for 1998 and 2003, is not listed at all for 2004 or 2005 (which are more capable tugs than the 1998-2003) but is listed again for the mechanically identical 2006. Even more interesting, the 3.3 litre V6 engine of 2006 is listed as a 4.7L V8 (that would be one rockin' minivan!), and the 3.5 L 2007 is listed as 3.3L. None of the Sienna listings mention the tow package requirement or offer non-tow-package ratings.

Contents appear to be determined as much by marketing as by any kind of objective research, with little if any quality control... but they're still an interesting source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Red face Real world table for light weight trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I'd be much happier if it had the ability to add "Tow Package" to the vehicles that make that available as an option. I'd also like to see a bit more low end weight options - 2500 to 5000 is quite a jump, at least for fiberglass trailers.
We do not need this for our light weight trailers:

Many cars have a towing package option both retro fit and factory installed; the later may include trailer a traction control safety system the can tell if the trailer in need of help. (Takes a little getting used to)

Agree a table showing 1000 to 3500 lbs. (maybe to 5000) would be great for when replacing a TV. I could include cars braked and unbraked recommendations.

Include rules for different areas as this would be of interest
eg. the 50% rule in Ontario a car weighing 2000 lbs. can only pull 1000 unbraked or 2500 lbs. only pull 1250 lbs. unbraked regardless of what the manufacturer says the limit is. Dealer can say 2500 but you may need brakes to be legal.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Red face Real world table for light weight trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Table for 1000 lbs. to 4000 lbs. would work for most of us.

Problem is many cars have different configurations
Corolla for instance:
-V6, 2.4L, 1.8L, (V6 discontinued a while back, 2.4L not available after 2013 year.
-The older Corolla is a smaller car as well
-They have a tow package available not the same as a retrofit as we got a towing traction system the can adjust for the trailer automatically (takes a little getting used to)
-Ours has trailer brakes and 7 pin the retro kit is 4 pin

We had the trailer module catch fire last week; thank goodness for the fire extinguisher. (car is unhurt due to quick thinking by Carole)
The replacement was free under warrantee as it came with the car. The old unit was not cut in part of the harness but replacement will have to be cut in, it will be installed on Tuesday
Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

You can enter "0" for minimum and 2500 lbs or 5000 lbs for max and it will catch all that are in it's data base. Perhaps they will get the list updated in the future.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Problem is many cars have different configurations
Corolla for instance:
-V6, 2.4L, 1.8L, (V6 discontinued a while back, 2.4L not available after 2013 year.
Hi,

I'm pretty sure the only Corolla ever built by Toyota with a V6 engine (a 2GR-FSE) is the race car carrying the "Corolla" name (and otherwise not a Corolla at all) for a Japanese race car series. There's no real V6 Corolla, in any year.

... not that this matters to the towing rating topic at all.

Brian
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1988 Sunrader
Massachusetts
Bob, Any idea how to find towing capabilities for Toyota Sunrader RVs? I have a 1988 I purchased 3 years ago and want to tow my Nissan Altima behind it but can't find towing specs anywhere. Thanks. David
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #13

Sorry to be bringing bad news, but towing any vehicle and almost any trailer, with a Toyota motorhome is out of the question. This is an oft discussed topic on the several toyhome sites. Here's why:

1. Your 1988 has a GVW of about 5500 lbs and is at or above that already.

2. By 1989, when the v6 chassis came along, the builders finally started putting tags on them stating "This Vehicle is not designed for towing. DO NOT tow"

3. When towing with the 4 cylinder engine and A43D transmission, it is guaranteed that engine overheating and transmission failures will be in your future. When the 22RE engine overheats it often blows a head gasket.

4. In the past year at least two reports were heard of rear axle failures, one was towing a 1500 lb baggage trailer, the other was acknowledged to be very overweight.

5. The braking system is "just enough" for the heavy coach body and your stuff. Adding a heavy trailer or vehicle will further overtax that system.

6. A Canadian couple, touring the U.S. with a V6 version, attempted to tow a Smart Car and got to do an entire engine rebuild as a part of the trip when it started burning valves.

7. General agreement is that small baggage trailers, up to about 500-750 lbs are OK, but towing a car is out of the question.

As Toyota sold the Cab & Chassis as an "incomplete vehicle" there were no tow limits published by Toyota. The coach builders finally introduced the "Do Not Tow" stickers after being leaned on by the NHTSA when they were being investigated about the rear axle recall debacle on the 1979-1985 chassis.

Now, if you happen to have a 1988 Sunrader Adventure with a pop-up roof, it is light enough to tow about 1200 lbs, but still not a vehicle.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1988 Sunrader
Massachusetts
Thanks Bob.

Not what I wanted to hear but what I expected. Guess I'll start looking into a small electric bike instead of towing the car
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #15

Good Idea

I know of several Toyhome owners that pull a scooter, like a Vespa, on a small trailer.
BTW: You don't want to hang that electric bike on the back bumper. The frame extensions are not designed to hold any extra weight.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Not the good old days

Welcome to the world of high mileage vehicles. Weight is one of the biggest factors affecting mileage and lighter components are not as strong as their predecessors.

I remember the days when you could push one car with another because the bumpers, frames, everything was massive.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #17

Yep, and those were the days when cars truly were "Unsafe at Any Speed". Didn't last 100,000 miles, tires barely lasted 10,000 miles and exhaust systems were a consumable item.
Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Note this: "Please note that we have data for the years 1991 - 2011." They really NEED to make an update....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
This Data Base from Camping Life provides some basic tow rating information over a wide range of makes and years.

Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine

That said, always verify the exact specifications for your vehicle with the owners manual or the manufacturer. (Not the verbal say-so of the service guy at the dealership)

Moderators: Should this be a sticky???
The data base has no provision for lighter trailers 1000 to 2300 lbs and no adjustment for lower cars with a 8% tongue requirement; or listing for cars. Many at this web site pull light weight trailers, 10' 12' 13' 14' or 17' and are well under the 2500 lb limit of this table. It would be good to get or make one for our fellow members. It could have base ratings and upgraded ratings such as with and without tow package. wd, brakes, tansaxle cooler, hp, wheel base, even experienced uses would gain this would be hard to make so many factors such as hills and how steep is ok; our area has a lot of steep hills we go up and down them a lot. One is even so steep on rainy days the car tires can slip at the top while empty, (would never try to pull up it with a trailer in any TV it is that steep.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #20

The year pull down now goes up to 2013.

While not perfect, it provides some general guidelines. Again, one always has to refer to the owners manual for the specific manual to get actual values