Searching for best tow vehicle for Casita 17' - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2003, 12:33 AM   #29
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Orginally posted by Benny K

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Orginally posted by Charlie Crouchet

Well Folks, I am working up a solution to the tow vehicle delimma..
The answer, well the Dodge sales man told me the Durango would pull easily 10 to 12 thousland lbs. after I pulled out my printouts he said the manufacturer was being very conservative. I left after that . .
Hi Charles, I talked to one of my sons that works in service at a Chrysler dealership and he also told me that the tow on a Durango is high but he said that the salesperson probably quoted you the Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating and not the Gross Trailer Weight Rating that you actually wanted to know...I`ll get him to bring me a brochure on it...Benny[/quote]

Benny is 100 percent correct. I have the actual 2001 Dodge Trailer Towing brochure in front of me as we speak. That saleman was quoting GCWR (12,200) and not GVWR (6400) for a 5.9L engine. He didn't have a clue and this situation seems typical.

Max trailer weight:

4.7L @ 3.55 is 4400 LBS
4.7L @ 3.92 is 5700 LBS
5.9L @ 3.55 is 5600 LBS
5.9L @ 3.92 is 7300 LBS

Not much has changed in the specs since 1998 to the present date. If anyone out there needs info regarding Dodge Trailer Towing in general, this brochure has it all.

For what it's worth:

I own a 1998 Durango with a 5.2L engine. I have absolutley every option available in that year which includes the trailer towing package, Class IV Hitch, HD Battery and HD Alternator, tranny cooler, etc, etc. My axel ratio is 3.92 My Durango is rated somewhere between 6400 and 7200, I can't remember at the moment. The only thing I would have done differently at the time was get the 5.9L for the extra HP. Of course I never thought I would own an RV. It's interesting to note that the 4.7L has the same HP as my 5.2L

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote