Security Enhancements - Theft Deterrent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Security Enhancements - Theft Deterrent

I plan to purchase a locking pin for my draw bar (ball mount) and also a locking hitch coupler pin. But there's nothing to prevent someone from removing the two bolts that hold the hitch coupler to the trailer tow bar, replacing it with their own $15 coupler, and driving away with my new trailer. Can I simply replace one of the two bolts on the hitch coupler with a locking pin instead? I don’t want to a buy a wheel chock lock or wheel boot, especially.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
...the two bolts that hold the hitch coupler to the trailer tow bar...
I'm not sure what bolts you mean. On my late-model Scamp the coupler is welded to the tongue. I use three locks (which I bought as a set, keyed alike, from Reese): the padlock on the coupler latch, the yellow coupler lock (both shown) and a locking pin on the drawbar. I carry the yellow coupler lock with me and use it whenever I'm unhitched.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	91937
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Besides a coupler latch lock you might want to consider an Atwood coupler ball lock.
Attached Images

Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I can say that a lock is only a visual deterrent. Down here and probably elsewhere if the conditions are right they simply arm wrestle your hitch upon a bumper and chain it down and take off bypassing all physical locks on the hitch. Seeing a Gator or other device tells them its easier to move onto a trailer with less protection. JMHO. I do have the trailer wheel lock but only for storage and not daily use. I would suggest YouTube and search on Trailer Hitch Security and watch a few of those videos too. I know you will get a hundred suggestions; mine is just one.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Security

I'd simply go have it welded .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm not sure what bolts you mean. On my late-model Scamp the coupler is welded to the tongue. I use three locks (which I bought as a set, keyed alike, from Reese): the padlock on the coupler latch, the yellow coupler lock (both shown) and a locking pin on the drawbar. I carry the yellow coupler lock with me and use it whenever I'm unhitched.
Attachment 91937
Me too, but I also wrap the safety chains around the tongue and lock them down with the padlock on the latch. If somebody's going to chain it to his bumper he can use his own chains.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Attachment 91937
__________________________________________________ ________________

Jon, I have the same Reese set up you have, and I wrap my chains and clip with the padlock when leaving the trailer. One thing I found out was going to WalMart you may find extra padlocks like that sold separately. You can read the code numbers or you can try your key in many locks. Ultimately as I traveled I found 2 extra locks that fitted the same key. So my utility trailer has the same Padlock / key and I have one for a spare. It may take time to find an extra lock but it is a bit of a game, and I don't think thieves would ever find keys that fit as there are many, many code numbers. Also, now Reese may have moved on to other code numbers.
David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote