Seeking recommendations for a travel jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Seeking recommendations for a travel jack

I look for a similar post but couldn't find one. If there is one hopefully someone can send me a link!

I am wondering what kind of jack everyone carries on a trip in the event they will have to jack up a trailer and change a tire? I would want something light, but on my trailer the best jack point is the rear bumper so I need something that has some height to it. If a floor jack weighed

Thanks!

Mark
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I wouldn't jack it up by the bumper, I would use a scissor jack under the axle. Jacking at the bumper can stress and possibly distort the frame. I have a couple scissor jacks that have a long handle. It's always good to have a couple blocks of wood along, or those plastic leveling blocks. This was a recent discussion on another trailer forum, some had the idea to put down the rear stabilizers and raise the wheels with the tongue jack. NOT a good idea.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
The jack on most tow vehicles should work under the axel of your trailer. DON'T jack under the bumper.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And don't jack on the axle either! On the frame close to the wheel. After all, that's where you're trying to gain height.

I have one of these: Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®, 1.5 Tons

and carry two foot long pieces of 2x4s
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I carried one of these, hoping to never use it
Search Results : Cabela's
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I use the scissor jack that came with my truck. We always carry a couple of 2 x 6's for leveling so one of those becomes the base. I prefer the trailer to be hitched to the tow vehicle for extra stability and I jack on the frame near the wheel as others have suggested.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry a six ton bottle jack (because it's easy to operate) and the Honda has a sissors jack if we needd it.

Mostly use the bottle jack at the frame near the wheel well. We also carry a couple of 2x6s.

I would not jack at the bumper.

I also like the bottle jack for measuring the tongue weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by p. Raz View Post
i use the scissor jack that came with my truck. We always carry a couple of 2 x 6's for leveling so one of those becomes the base. I prefer the trailer to be hitched to the tow vehicle for extra stability and i jack on the frame near the wheel as others have suggested.

ditto!
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I carry two 6 ton bottle jacks
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I use the bottle jack from the 4Runner or sometimes a racing jack at home. On the Burro, I always jack on the vertical frame flange to which the axle is bolted. I also anchor the thing by hitching on to runner and always use two jack stands--one forward and one aft of the axle on the frame longitudinal.

hack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I've learned the hard way over the past 25 years of enjoying 2 13' Scamps. I used to jack the trailer up under the axle until I read that this is NEVER to be done or one could bend the axle. I used to lower the tongue screw jack all the way down, then extended the STABILIZER jacks down, and just screwed the tongue jack all the way until the tires came off the ground, until I learned that this could bend the frame. ALL THESE ARE NO NO'S. I now have purchased 2 lightweight scissor jacks from Harbor Freight and have mounted them to the frame just behind the tires. I use my cordless electric drill to lower and raise them to not only change flats, but to level the trailer, then utilize the welded on STABILIZER jacks off the back bumper and small jack stands to stabilize the front frame between the door and the front of the trailer to help keep some of the weight off the tongue jack. I can remove the Harbor Freight jacks by just unscrewing one bolt that goes through the frame, when I need more ground clearance while off-roading (along with adjusting my Flexi-ride axle to a high ground clearance stance). Hope these ideas help.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #12

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Thanks for setting me straight Donna. Never having owned a tortion suspension i wasn't aware you couldn't jack on the axel. The frame make sense.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
Thanks for setting me straight Donna. Never having owned a tortion suspension i wasn't aware you couldn't jack on the axel. The frame make sense.
That's what we're here for George. To give assistance and information. Pay It Forward when you can.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote