Shredded Tire - Lessons Learned - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #81

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I use the jack from my 4runner
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #82

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I when on the highway try my best to change lanes as least as possible. When someone is merging I slow up and try to time it so he gets on, so I do not have to change lanes. Most times it works out, sometimes it does not. Then I do what I have to do. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #83

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
It was time to put some new treads on our EggCamper, even the aged-out spare, so I decided to give the Goodyear Endurance a try. Good looking tires, and yes, they do have visible mold marks/remnants....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00093.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #84

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Goodyear Endurance trailer tires replaced the Marathons. The Marathons had a maximum air pressure of 60 pounds. The same size 15" Endurance has a maximum air pressure of 80 pounds. The Endurance are US made. The Marathons were not.

I have 12,000 miles on a set of Endurance. So far no trouble. I had Marathons before with probably 25,000 miles on them. Getting ready for a trip last year and servicing wheel bearings I noticed a couple of them were out of round and starting to separate. If I hadn't caught that I would have had shredded tires within 75 miles. They still looked good with plenty of tread and were not weather cracked. I had bought them in 2010 so they were seven years old. The material in tires decomposes with age. After six years they cannot hold up under severe service, especially in hot weather.

I pull double trailers quite a bit. The back trailer is a light weight aluminum flatbed with 13 inch tires and it weighs 310 lbs. It carries an ATV that weighs 850 lbs. So there is less than 600 lbs weight on each tire. I pulled off of I-80 for gas at Evanston, Wyoming last month and found the problem pictured below. The tread had come off the tire and tore the fender most of the way off. Just to clarify that trailer had Carlisle tires in it, not Goodyears. The tire was not flat. I camped there for the night and went to the Walmart the next morning. A new Carlisle tire was $29 plus taxes and fees that made it $43. But they only had one. So I stopped later that day in Salt Lake City and got another one. It cost me $192 to get a new fender welded on the trailer.

The trailer was a 2012 model so I thought the tires were six years old. This prompted me to look at the date code which I found to be 4510, the forty fifth week of 2010. The trailer had been built in 2011 with tires from 2010. I bought it as a 2012 trailer and that is how it is titled. Just because you buy a new 2018 trailer doesn't mean the tires were made in 2018. Check your date codes. They are on every tire. Don't try to run tires that are over six years old on any highway vehicle.

Another little known secret is that all tires with a DOT number have a maximum speed rating. Finding out what it is like pulling teeth. It can be looked up on the internet though. Many trailer tires are only rated at 62 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer tire.jpeg  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #85

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wow Bruce, kind of surprised that no one pulled up next to you to signal you had a problem, lucky catch.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #86

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
In the 50 or so years I have been driving I can say I have never worn out a set of Goodyear tires, the have always separated first!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #87

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Found this from an industry newsletter a couple of years ago. Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are speed rated "N" which is 87mph:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...e-trailer-tire
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote