Single axle tire safety - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Another member PM'd me with the observation that the point where trailer tires become unreliable is midway between purchase and mounting!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie J View Post
I...........
Will Costco mount and balance the tires? I have a Costco and Sam's Club membership. There is a Belle Tire about a mile from my house.
Yes, any of these will mount and balance a trailer tire.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer Tire Pressure Sensors

We have put new tires on each trailer we've purchased and have yet to have a flat on any of the trailers in 5 years.

This trailer year we added tire pressure sensor's to our trailer. It's interesting to see that their ambient temperature matches the environment on start up and how it grows with time. As well how the tires on the sunny south side are always warmer than the north side.

I don't know if the knowledge of pressure and temperature will ever help but at least I can continuously read it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Too, I think it would depend on your tolerance for problems and where you plan to drive. If you find you may be miles from a tire store of any kind or boondock up gravel/dirt roads... your tolerance for tire problems may be different from someone who stays on pavement and within a short distance of "towns." If I was going to camp within 50 miles of home, I'd feel totally different than hitting the road and traveling several thousands of miles. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tolerance

When we take off, as Donna suggests, we do carry an extra spare for places like Labrador. Happily after the longest dirt road I'll ever see it was never needed.....

Oops! They just opened an additional 250 mile section that we'll be driving next year...... that will make it even longer...Do I bring the extra spare?????

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #20

Name: Johnnie
Trailer: Hi Lo
Michigan
I called Camping World and the price they quoted was less than Sam's Club for the same tire. Plus, since the tires will be off, they will give me a discount on packing the bearings.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #21

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie J View Post
I called Camping World and the price they quoted was less than Sam's Club for the same tire. Plus, since the tires will be off, they will give me a discount on packing the bearings.
Good to know.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #22

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I think the problem with trailer tires stems from the date of mfg. to the date of installation. How fresh are those tires when you buy them???
Our new truck is a 2010 but was built in Jan. of that year. The tires were made-dated (5109) 51st. week of 2009. We bought the truck in Nov. of 2010 so the tires were 11mos. old already and had sat out in all sorts of weather too!!!
Now how many RV...trailer tires do they sell at the dealer you're about to use? How fresh dated is their stock or for that matter what they get sent in on order?
I believe Escape trailer buys their axles completely mounted with wheels and tires ,as needed, so the tires are as fresh as can be!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have put new tires on each trailer we've purchased and have yet to have a flat on any of the trailers in 5 years.

This trailer year we added tire pressure sensor's to our trailer. It's interesting to see that their ambient temperature matches the environment on start up and how it grows with time. As well how the tires on the sunny south side are always warmer than the north side.

I don't know if the knowledge of pressure and temperature will ever help but at least I can continuously read it.
Seeing the temperature is very good information, if under normal use on the highway one tire is warmer then the other it could be a good indication of a brake that is dragging or a bearing about to fail.

the heat from both situations gets radiated to the rims and could cause a potential blow out, unlikely but possible.

tire size has very little to do with increased potential for failure, parents have a pop up with those little 12 inch or so tires with many a mile and never an issue.

Simple things like maintaining tire pressure, repacking the bearings every year or other year and checking the tread periodically for foreign objects will go along way to avoiding failure.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Regulations are being considered, pertaining to expiration dating for tires...

The news media starts out with some sensational story to raise ratings so they can sell soap and prescription drugs, and the next thing you know you have a stampede.
Whether it's trailer tires, SUV's or egg cholesterol, this sort of thing inevitably leads to more regulations aimed at protecting those who won't subscribe to due diligence.
I think this will lead to prominent expiration dates on tires with new fines and disposal fees and land fills full of good tires,and/ or some enormous recycle fees.

The point here is that we must be cautious about this sort of thing or it could squelch technological progress. As I type, there are tires coming on the market designed for extended life in storage and greater resistance to to deterioration from the elements. A regulation for expiration dating on tires would halt research and development toward better products of this kind, which would be a loss for us all.

The good side is... the hyperbole may have been part of the impetus toward today's(and tomorrow's) better tire offerings.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #25

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Whether it's trailer tires, SUV's or egg cholesterol............
Good point. I never realized that camping in an egg could affect ones cholesterol.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Good point. I never realized that camping in an egg could affect ones cholesterol.
It's the campfire cooking!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #27

Name: KJ
Trailer: none
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I knew it wasn't the fries. Can't wait to show this to Dee! Keith
Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It's the campfire cooking!
I might go along with something like that! Sounds good!

Tags
axle