Single axle tire safety - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie J View Post
I called Camping World and the price they quoted was less than Sam's Club for the same tire. Plus, since the tires will be off, they will give me a discount on packing the bearings.
Good to know.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I think the problem with trailer tires stems from the date of mfg. to the date of installation. How fresh are those tires when you buy them???
Our new truck is a 2010 but was built in Jan. of that year. The tires were made-dated (5109) 51st. week of 2009. We bought the truck in Nov. of 2010 so the tires were 11mos. old already and had sat out in all sorts of weather too!!!
Now how many RV...trailer tires do they sell at the dealer you're about to use? How fresh dated is their stock or for that matter what they get sent in on order?
I believe Escape trailer buys their axles completely mounted with wheels and tires ,as needed, so the tires are as fresh as can be!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have put new tires on each trailer we've purchased and have yet to have a flat on any of the trailers in 5 years.

This trailer year we added tire pressure sensor's to our trailer. It's interesting to see that their ambient temperature matches the environment on start up and how it grows with time. As well how the tires on the sunny south side are always warmer than the north side.

I don't know if the knowledge of pressure and temperature will ever help but at least I can continuously read it.
Seeing the temperature is very good information, if under normal use on the highway one tire is warmer then the other it could be a good indication of a brake that is dragging or a bearing about to fail.

the heat from both situations gets radiated to the rims and could cause a potential blow out, unlikely but possible.

tire size has very little to do with increased potential for failure, parents have a pop up with those little 12 inch or so tires with many a mile and never an issue.

Simple things like maintaining tire pressure, repacking the bearings every year or other year and checking the tread periodically for foreign objects will go along way to avoiding failure.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Regulations are being considered, pertaining to expiration dating for tires...

The news media starts out with some sensational story to raise ratings so they can sell soap and prescription drugs, and the next thing you know you have a stampede.
Whether it's trailer tires, SUV's or egg cholesterol, this sort of thing inevitably leads to more regulations aimed at protecting those who won't subscribe to due diligence.
I think this will lead to prominent expiration dates on tires with new fines and disposal fees and land fills full of good tires,and/ or some enormous recycle fees.

The point here is that we must be cautious about this sort of thing or it could squelch technological progress. As I type, there are tires coming on the market designed for extended life in storage and greater resistance to to deterioration from the elements. A regulation for expiration dating on tires would halt research and development toward better products of this kind, which would be a loss for us all.

The good side is... the hyperbole may have been part of the impetus toward today's(and tomorrow's) better tire offerings.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Whether it's trailer tires, SUV's or egg cholesterol............
Good point. I never realized that camping in an egg could affect ones cholesterol.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Good point. I never realized that camping in an egg could affect ones cholesterol.
It's the campfire cooking!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I knew it wasn't the fries. Can't wait to show this to Dee! Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It's the campfire cooking!
I might go along with something like that! Sounds good!
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #29

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I have on mine and would suggest light truck tires if your on a single axle trailer, we have had ours on for 5 years and a hair over 50,000 miles without a hiccup. They are made of better material, take longer to dry rot and deteriorate. I had 3 sets of trailer tires on mine before that and had blowouts with all of them. Ours are Maxxis, we bought them online and had them installed locally. LT tires are more expensive but they are far superior in construction than ST's
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Tires

My previous tow was a 1970 20' sailboat. I sold it in 2005 with the same tires on it that were on it when I bought it in 1972 and presumably OEMs. Never knew that tires could get old without displaying some sign, checking, cracking, etc. I do think some of this hullabaloo is tire companies trying to line their own pockets. However, the dreaded government may have passed regulations re allowed chemicals, etc. and thereby affected tire life.

Presently, when we tow and stop at a rest stop or for lunch, I will feel the tires and the hubs, made easier by the spoked wheels on Homelet.

Picture is of lucky guy who got our boat. Now there is a tow statement. A Malibu pulling a 2800# boat/trailer. You can see the tires, while not the prettiest, do not look all that bad. Plus the trailer does not have trailer brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_1405.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #31

Registry
Hi: All... "Our Escape Hatch" is still resting on its OEM tires. 2007 Goodyear Marathon 15"ers. They have about 25,000 miles on them and I just might treat her to a new pair of rubbers this year.
I did change the 3 stems when I discovered they were all cracked...probably saved at least one flat. Only cost 30 bucks for the extra protection!!! 2007 was a bad year for tire stems.
It's about time to wake her up from fibernation and get ready for a trip south for the Egg Camping Club rally in Apr. Can't wait to go CAMPING!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Born On Date

Look at the four numbers. The last two tell you what year the tire was manufactured, and the first two tell you what week of that year the tire was made. So, if you see “1211,” you know the tire was manufactured in the third or fourth week of March 2011.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #33

Registry
Hi: Donna D... Thanks for the pic. that shows the most important date you might have. Nothing worse than finding out the new tires you just bought for your trailer are 2 yrs. old!!!
Seems wine improves with age...tires don't.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #34

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
carry a pair of work gloves, a jack and lug wrench.
then go buy two new tires. put them inside the trailer and head out.
if you make it all the way to where your going without having to change them,,, your good to go.
if they pop you at least got every last mile out of them and can get out and replace them with the new ones.
but remember, safety first.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
carry a pair of work gloves, a jack and lug wrench.
then go buy two new tires. put them inside the trailer and head out.
if you make it all the way to where your going without having to change them,,, your good to go.
if they pop you at least got every last mile out of them and can get out and replace them with the new ones.
but remember, safety first.

I would say this post comes from a younger fella
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #36

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Look at the four numbers. The last two tell you what year the tire was manufactured, and the first two tell you what week of that year the tire was made. So, if you see “1211,” you know the tire was manufactured in the third or fourth week of March 2011.
Thanks Donna, that picture will be most helpful!! (in confirming our suspicion that we could possibly have 20-30 + year old tires on our Boler)...don't worry everyone...we only pulled it home....and it hasn't been out of the garage since
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
...... that we could possibly have 20-30 + year old tires on our Boler)...............
My UHaul came with the original 1985 spare tire.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #38

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
I would say this post comes from a younger fella
god bless you for saying that.....from a fellow with a 23 y.o. brain that writes checks his 61 y.o. butt can't cash.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #39

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Tire Age
Always check the date codes on the tires. Anything over 6 I would replace ASAP, over 8 I won't trust further than a trip to the tire store. The tires on our Scamp were already 3 years old when it was new. In the world of motorhomes, tire failures due to age, not wear, are frequently reported. I shop at COSTCO, but I buy my tires at America's Tire/Discount Tires. Super prices and service. BTW: If that's a Hi-Lo you are putting tires on, they are heavy out the door and get heavier real fast, buy at least one weight range above that recommended if possible.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
god bless you for saying that.....from a fellow with a 23 y.o. brain that writes checks his 61 y.o. butt can't cash.
Hi: john warren... What bothers me is "How much month I have left at the end of the money"!!!

Tags
axle