Single axle tire safety - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #29

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
I have on mine and would suggest light truck tires if your on a single axle trailer, we have had ours on for 5 years and a hair over 50,000 miles without a hiccup. They are made of better material, take longer to dry rot and deteriorate. I had 3 sets of trailer tires on mine before that and had blowouts with all of them. Ours are Maxxis, we bought them online and had them installed locally. LT tires are more expensive but they are far superior in construction than ST's

Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #30

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Tires

My previous tow was a 1970 20' sailboat. I sold it in 2005 with the same tires on it that were on it when I bought it in 1972 and presumably OEMs. Never knew that tires could get old without displaying some sign, checking, cracking, etc. I do think some of this hullabaloo is tire companies trying to line their own pockets. However, the dreaded government may have passed regulations re allowed chemicals, etc. and thereby affected tire life.

Presently, when we tow and stop at a rest stop or for lunch, I will feel the tires and the hubs, made easier by the spoked wheels on Homelet.

Picture is of lucky guy who got our boat. Now there is a tow statement. A Malibu pulling a 2800# boat/trailer. You can see the tires, while not the prettiest, do not look all that bad. Plus the trailer does not have trailer brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_1405.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #31

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... "Our Escape Hatch" is still resting on its OEM tires. 2007 Goodyear Marathon 15"ers. They have about 25,000 miles on them and I just might treat her to a new pair of rubbers this year.
I did change the 3 stems when I discovered they were all cracked...probably saved at least one flat. Only cost 30 bucks for the extra protection!!! 2007 was a bad year for tire stems.
It's about time to wake her up from fibernation and get ready for a trip south for the Egg Camping Club rally in Apr. Can't wait to go CAMPING!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Born On Date

Look at the four numbers. The last two tell you what year the tire was manufactured, and the first two tell you what week of that year the tire was made. So, if you see 1211, you know the tire was manufactured in the third or fourth week of March 2011.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #33

Ontario
Registry
Hi: Donna D... Thanks for the pic. that shows the most important date you might have. Nothing worse than finding out the new tires you just bought for your trailer are 2 yrs. old!!!
Seems wine improves with age...tires don't.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #34

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
carry a pair of work gloves, a jack and lug wrench.
then go buy two new tires. put them inside the trailer and head out.
if you make it all the way to where your going without having to change them,,, your good to go.
if they pop you at least got every last mile out of them and can get out and replace them with the new ones.
but remember, safety first.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #35

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
carry a pair of work gloves, a jack and lug wrench.
then go buy two new tires. put them inside the trailer and head out.
if you make it all the way to where your going without having to change them,,, your good to go.
if they pop you at least got every last mile out of them and can get out and replace them with the new ones.
but remember, safety first.

I would say this post comes from a younger fella
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #36

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Look at the four numbers. The last two tell you what year the tire was manufactured, and the first two tell you what week of that year the tire was made. So, if you see “1211,” you know the tire was manufactured in the third or fourth week of March 2011.
Thanks Donna, that picture will be most helpful!! (in confirming our suspicion that we could possibly have 20-30 + year old tires on our Boler)...don't worry everyone...we only pulled it home....and it hasn't been out of the garage since
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #37

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
...... that we could possibly have 20-30 + year old tires on our Boler)...............
My UHaul came with the original 1985 spare tire.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #38

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
I would say this post comes from a younger fella
god bless you for saying that.....from a fellow with a 23 y.o. brain that writes checks his 61 y.o. butt can't cash.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #39

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: Tire Age
Always check the date codes on the tires. Anything over 6 I would replace ASAP, over 8 I won't trust further than a trip to the tire store. The tires on our Scamp were already 3 years old when it was new. In the world of motorhomes, tire failures due to age, not wear, are frequently reported. I shop at COSTCO, but I buy my tires at America's Tire/Discount Tires. Super prices and service. BTW: If that's a Hi-Lo you are putting tires on, they are heavy out the door and get heavier real fast, buy at least one weight range above that recommended if possible.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
god bless you for saying that.....from a fellow with a 23 y.o. brain that writes checks his 61 y.o. butt can't cash.
Hi: john warren... What bothers me is "How much month I have left at the end of the money"!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Drive till they Pop???? NOT!!!

Can't say that is very good advice.... Good friends of our had a tire on an 18', single axle, Airstream blow out from old age (it was almost 11 y.o.) Started the trailer fishtailing, the driver lost control,. the trailer flipped on it's side and the tow vehicle left the road and was totaled..... Fortunately, other than two pairs of very wet pants, the couple suffered no real injuries and there was no collateral damage to others around them on the hiway.
That kind of accident is like landing a plane with the wheels up, it will ruin an otherwise perfectly good day.
Let's all be safe. If you don't know the birthdate of your tires, go out and check them today. It's not a plot by the manufacturers or the government, it's just plain safety. And, be forewarned, I am a real PITA on that topic
Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #42

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Can't say that is very good advice.... Good friends of our had a tire on an 18', single axle, Airstream blow out from old age (it was almost 11 y.o.) Started the trailer fishtailing, the driver lost control,. the trailer flipped on it's side and the tow vehicle left the road and was totaled..... Fortunately, other than two pairs of very wet pants, the couple suffered no real injuries and there was no collateral damage to others around them on the hiway.
That kind of accident is like landing a plane with the wheels up, it will ruin an otherwise perfectly good day.
Let's all be safe. If you don't know the birthdate of your tires, go out and check them today. It's not a plot by the manufacturers or the government, it's just plain safety. And, be forewarned, I am a real PITA on that topic
It's just plain safety to realize, as well, that a tire can fail anytime from the time of initial mounting, so however prudent it is to use the "Logan's Run" approach, it is certainly prudent to inspect them for defects and replace them when needed, even if they are practically new. Maintain your tire pressures and inspect your tires regularly. That is still at least as important as age disposal.
As the late Paul Harvey was prone to say...."Now you've heard the rest of the story"

Tags
axle