Size does matter (with tires) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 73 Trillium 13 ft / Toyota Landcrusier HDJ81
I recently replaced the axle on my recently purchased trillium. The axle had no suspension left and the frame was cracked as it had become the suspension. Sometimes you have to replace them.

I purchased an axle from dexter and added brackets to my frame to make it bolt on. I also added the ability to add a 3" lift if necessary.

There are benifts to a larger tire as well, if you drive rough roads it will tow much smoother and have less rolling resistance. I do a lot of backcountry camping with a lot of logging road travel. Mine came with 165s that are done, I can't decide whether to go with a 175 as trillium does now a days or go a little bigger on a bigger rim? In my case bigger is better!
E Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Here an update... it seems the first place I called ended up being the best place, they had the right size at $37 a tire with free mounting! (Mason's Tire Hwy 544, Conway SC.) Ordered them on Saturday, they came in Monday, I put them on the trailer Tuesday night. Two P165/80 R 13's for $86! Not bad. They fit just like they should.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07_13_10_1922.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	29515
She still has a bit of spring in the axle but it wouldn't hurt to rejuvinate it. How about someone telling more about those bolt-on shock kits. I can't spring (pardon the pun) for a new axle at the moment.

BTW I posted a photo album on facebook with more photos of the tire changing experience...

Thanks everyone for your inputs, you were all a big help!
ConwayBob

Tags
tires