Slow Tow? Let 'em Pass! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Talking Scary Road

I agree with everyone that Kernville is a wonderful spot. Havent towed our Cardinal up there yet but dont imagine it could be any worse then the road off of 395 @ Pearsonville that goes up to Kennedy and Troy Meadows. I think the next time I would try from the Kernville side of the mtn. Our trailer likes me to keep at about 60 mph and I try hard to be courteous to drivers behind me.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #16

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Francesca,
Where did you get your turtle? I'd like to add one to the back of the Cardinal. I have several stickers on the back of the trailer and think of them as something the drivers behind me can read until I can get over. Fred has great signage too.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Francesca,
Where did you get your turtle? I'd like to add one to the back of the Cardinal. I have several stickers on the back of the trailer and think of them as something the drivers behind me can read until I can get over. Fred has great signage too.
The turtle came from what we call "Chez Cheap": the Dollar Tree.
It cost a dollar!
Since their inventory changes so often (as a regular customer, I know!), I bought two at the same time so I'd have a replacement.
That was four years ago, and I still have the extra one. I'm actually surprised it's lasted so long, though I did coat it with UV- resistant polyurethane before I stuck it on the trailer with Liquid Nails. Maybe that's helped to preserve it.
It's hard to know if you could still find one at Chez Cheap, but since it was being sold as "Garden Art", this time of year would be a good time to look.

Francesca
Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #18

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I do have a question about using the cruise control. Does anyone use it or not? Is it a bad idea? Why or why not? Randy
I always use cruise control on the highway, unless I am on a hill that makes it work too hard. I find that I am unable to maintain a constant speed for long stretches of time without it. As for speed, I tow between 100 and 105 KPH on the highway (65 MPH at most), or the speed limit when it is lower. Never had a problem with the vehicle, although I formerly pulled a sticky trailer with the same minivan where the van would overheat if I went more than 90 KPH for more than a couple of minutes. One of the many reasons I like the fiberglass ones better.

Rick G.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Fred has great signage too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
When I'm towing a trailer, I certainly don't let some 16-year-old behind me determine my speed.
I agree. My cruise control is always set to 55; even on I-20 in Texas, and I stay in the far right lane. I rarely have problems; people readily go around me without incident.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0438.jpg   100_0362.jpg  

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I agree. My cruise control is always set to 55; even on I-20 in Texas, and I stay in the far right lane. I rarely have problems; people readily go around me without incident.
I'm with Frederick.
One point that is often missed maybe 2.
1. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph MAXIMUM.
2. Some states have 55mph towing speeds and some aren't posted.

I saw a bumper sticker that I thought about getting one like it. "I'm retired go around me"
Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #21

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm with Frederick.
One point that is often missed maybe 2.
1. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph MAXIMUM.
2. Some states have 55mph towing speeds and some aren't posted.

I saw a bumper sticker that I thought about getting one like it. "I'm retired go around me"
Hi: Byron Kinnaman... I had a local sign shop make me some. 3 each for my tugs that said..."I'M DRIVING AS FAST AS I CAN AFFORD" and 3 each for my trailers that said "I GO WHERE I'M TOWED TO". You could have some made for your trailer like "RETIRED... MORE TIME... LESS GAS". Or " PUSHING 65 IS EXERCISE ENOUGH".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #22

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Has anybody else had this scenario--there's a guy riding right on your bumper but he refuses to pass? With some tailgaters, I've had to pull off onto the shoulder in order to force them to go around me. Strange behavior.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #23

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Yes I have! Never could figure that one out. I was towing a popup that they could see around even and know it was clear. I slowed waaaaaaaaaaay down to around 45 or 50 mph and they still wouldnt go around! Decided that was a good time to get something to eat, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Has anybody else had this scenario--there's a guy riding right on your bumper but he refuses to pass? With some tailgaters, I've had to pull off onto the shoulder in order to force them to go around me. Strange behavior.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G
It seems like a lot of people drive VERY close to the car in front of them, even if they are comfortable at that speed. I don't think they realize that they are driving too close for comfort. You have to wonder who taught these people how to drive!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #25

Registry
Too true!
It's like people haven't heard of the "x" number of car lengths rule.
Towing or not, my favorite entertainment in heavy freeway traffic is to let the appropriate gap open up in front of me and try to predict which car will jump in to it. It's surprisingly easy to predict.
It's actually a great game for kids, too. We call it the "sucker game" since in our way of thinking we've "sucked" a clueless driver into a trap of our creation.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #26

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
On a road west of MPLS,MN, we have dots like this on the road, to try and keep tailgaters off your bumper.Click image for larger version

Name:	stoptailgating.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	35680
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #27

Registry
What a great idea!
I do sometimes wonder if some drivers can count that high, though

Francesca
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #28

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
LOL! I, too, wonder why some FLY up behind me (well exceeding the speed limit) and then ride my bumper and refuse to pass. I especially enjoy this at night when I am not towing and the idiot's headlights are glaring in all my rear view mirrors. Yeah, that's going to help; driving faster with a nut on my tail is not my idea of a good choice. In order to discourage any road rage, I have put on my right-turn signal and pulled over as if I am turning off, and then pulled back in the lane when clear. If the tailgater notices, I don't care -- at least s/he's not in a position to crash into me any more.

Tags
passing, slow, speed