Smallest Car that can tow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
You should give the Subaru Forester a good look. Lots of folks towing 13' with those.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Diesel towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Possibly a bit of overkill for a 13 footer. It is rated to tow more than three times what my Scamp weighs! Of course, if it were sold in the US, they'd probably drop the tow rating to 500 pounds.
People were amazed that I towed with my '81 Rabbit diesel. It was very slow with 48 hp, and I pulled over at times to let people pass, but I had every confidence that nothing would break. I also had a second fuel tank, 20 gallons total--which gave me a 650 to 800 mile range. I could drive all over the place and never have to put fuel in it. Typically I got around 37-38, and less 32-34 if I drove it hard. 32mpg was basically floored all the time including downhill to make it up the next hill. I probably got around 28 towing the trailer. On long stretches of flat ground it did well.

The point I'm trying to make is that with a diesel you can tow with a manual transmission. I would never tow with an automatic unless it was an Alison behind a Duramax.

I'm a sailor, when I cruise, the idea is to minimize expenses. This is why diesel appeals to me. Plus it is a safer fuel.

The trade off with a diesel is trailering will be even slower, but you will get the best possible fuel economy. If I had a camper and a comfortable place to be, who cares if you have to drive slower and stop more often? Slower is also safer. I escaped a 30 car pile up on black ice because I was driving slower.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Possibly a bit of overkill for a 13 footer. It is rated to tow more than three times what my Scamp weighs! Of course, if it were sold in the US, they'd probably drop the tow rating to 500 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You should give the Subaru Forester a good look. Lots of folks towing 13' with those.
I drove a 2008 Forester. Installing a tow hitch was easy. It had a fair amount of power. I did not tow with it, but it was peppy enough to do it. Ours was an automatic--a five speed would have been better. I nearly bought an Outback five speed for a tow vehicle. I'm impressed with the build quality of these cars.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #18

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Barrie, What do you get for highway mileage when you are not towing?
The EPA rating is 23 mpg city/27.5 mpg highway. I get 30 mpg city and about 35 mpg highway. I drive carefully. I don't accelerate too quickly and I drive 55 on the highway when I can without disrupting the traffic flow. I live in a very rural area so my driving style is easy. If I lived in a more congested area my fuel economy wouldn't be positive as it is now.
A TDI will get better milage and provide better torque but diesel isn't available at all stations and is more expensive. If I could find a low milage (less than 100,000 miles) at a good price I'd be tempted but... TDI's are more expensive to buy and maintain so overall the advantage is a coin flip.
Barrie
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #19

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
The EPA rating is 23 mpg city/27.5 mpg highway. I get 30 mpg city and about 35 mpg highway. I drive carefully. I don't accelerate too quickly and I drive 55 on the highway when I can without disrupting the traffic flow. I live in a very rural area so my driving style is easy. If I lived in a more congested area my fuel economy wouldn't be positive as it is now.
A TDI will get better milage and provide better torque but diesel isn't available at all stations and is more expensive. If I could find a low milage (less than 100,000 miles) at a good price I'd be tempted but... TDI's are more expensive to buy and maintain so overall the advantage is a coin flip.
Barrie
See attached photo
Attached Thumbnails
mini.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
how about this
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #21

Name: Remi
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quebec
It's not the smallest, but I'd take a look at the Jeep Patriot. The engine oil cooler gives 2000 pound towing capacity, and it gets very good mileage with the manual transmission (if it's not a problem for you).
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking for a newer vehicle, my current is a 2000 Honda Civic, but I'm looking for something that will be good on fuel AND can tow my 13' Boler, up north never more than 5 hour drive.

I really like TDI's, but I'm thinking that won't quite do it. Google is useless for finding an official towing capacity, but I'm wondering if anyone would know if the jetta wagon would do it? The mk4s. My budget is around $5000.

Suggestions?
I am going to put a hitch on my 2011 TDI wagon and pull my surfside and I don't think it's a problem, google small cars pulling caravans and you'll be surprised at what they pull.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
No more tow vehicles for me!

I'm gettin' the retrofit kit that makes this possible
Motorized Trailer - YouTube
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Now that looks practical.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking for a newer vehicle, my current is a 2000 Honda Civic, but I'm looking for something that will be good on fuel AND can tow my 13' Boler, up north never more than 5 hour drive.

I really like TDI's, but I'm thinking that won't quite do it. Google is useless for finding an official towing capacity, but I'm wondering if anyone would know if the jetta wagon would do it? The mk4s. My budget is around $5000.

Suggestions?
You are talking about a very light trailer 1300 many cars can do the job.
I do beleive though trailer brakes are a good idea for any load over 500 lbs though. The 1300 should only need a class 1 hitch and maybe a sway bar setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Smallest Car That Can Tow????
Attached Thumbnails
ernie.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #27

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
The smallest car that can tow?

Saw this at Yellowstone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0829.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #28

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Smallerst towing vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail & Tom O. View Post
Saw this at Yellowstone.
Good joke, but Smart Fortwo are limited to VERY light towing capacity due to VERY flimsy rear bumper steel inserts into a light aluminium bumper.

Really, you must consider the maximum gross weight of your trailer (fully loaded max autorized weight) and find a matched vehicle for this load with a professionnaly installed hitch. Your car insurance will not cover if your trailer overloads the towing vehicle. Preferably you should look for electric brakes and a proportionnal brake controller (not just ON/OFF). The lighter and the shorter the towing vehicle, the more you will need anti-sway bar and electric brakes.

Towing capacity is often considerably increased by adding an automatic transmission cooler. Transmission internal plastic bushings willl otherwise overheat and fail prematurely. This will provide the towing power, but not the stopping power you need. Towing rating often specify that it requires independent brakes on the trailer: go ahead and read the fine prints of the specs !!! Another advantage of adding brakes on the trailer is that the towing vehicle brakes will last considerably longer. If you are towing for any significant distance in hills, independent brakes on the RV will pay for itself within a couple of seasons.

Good luck

Martin