Smoothing out my bumpy ride - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #21
KSM

Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
That's a very common misconception. Tire manufacturers publish charts and tables of pressure vs load. For Example.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

Walt
From Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV ...

"Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

I AM trying to "resolve poor ride quality" so I guess I should adjust the pressure...
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #22
KSM

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I saw this on Amazon and bought one for our hitch. We used it towing the Scamp from New Mexico to Denver without a single problem, but in bringing it from storage to the house this past weekend, we didn't put it on and it felt like the Scamp was bumping and banging around behind us. In reality it was the hitch making noise and allowing play. Put this gizmo back on the hitch to return it to storage, and it was once again a smooth, quiet ride. Might be worth a try as well.

Amazon.com: Roadmaster 061 Quiet Hitch: Automotive
This intrigues me although the cheap me is having a hard time parting with $25 for something that looks so simple. And I actually could use two, one where the hitch enters the receiver and one for the adjustment point on the drop hitch.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM View Post
From Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV ...

"Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."
This statement is true but anyone who has driven a vehicle where the tires are over inflated knows how unstable it can become. Have you ever driven a Corvair with 26 lbs* of air in the front tires? The car is all over the road.

Note the factory spec for Corvair front tires is 14LBS.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
KSM

California
As a follow up to this, I replaced the rattly adjustable ball mount with a fixed 8" drop and added a quiet hitch clamp. I also measured my tongue weight at 195#, which I think is just a bit light, and moved some stuff forward in the trailer to compensate. These things have made a big difference. I found it was a much better towing experience this weekend. Still thinking about tires. I'll update if I make any changes there.
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember one thing folks, if you're running 14" or 15" tires, you may be giving advice for those. Kyle is running 12" tires! Kyle, what does the sidewall say for PSI? It's Frederick's birthday today, but I'm betting he's got some tips and tricks that would help. You probably won't hear from him today however
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #26

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
So glad to hear that it towed better after making some adjustments!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #27

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I've been reading this thread and the tire pressure discussion interests me. I bought my scamp 13 standard last year and tires were supposed to be inflated to 50 pounds, according to decal on my scamp (2012). Always found ride too bouncy last year so am going to try 40 this year? I don't put much of anything in trailer aside from normal food and junk that doesn't weigh much under the bunk seats. I have new tug this year: a2007 chevy express 1500 high top wheelchair van with a v6. Sold the truck to have one vehicle as my bro is brain injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #28

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Just as all cars and trucks have a sticker giving the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, so does my Bigfoot. It's 32 PSI. I run them at 40 PSI.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Just as all cars and trucks have a sticker giving the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, so does my Bigfoot. It's 32 PSI. I run them at 40 PSI.

Walt
Why Walt? By comparison to the suggested 32lbs what difference have you seen/felt by running the tires at 40lbs???
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #30

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Ha ha. I kind of expected that question. No good reason, really, just a subconscious reaction to all the much higher pressures people are always talking about on the forums I guess.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #31

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
12" tires are going to ride rougher due the the small diameter and the meeting angle to the tread. That said the tires also spread the movement over the pair to some extent.
I went with 14" tiers over the Scamp 13" to improve this factor and gain more margin for load in the heat we have here in L.A. (Lower Alabama)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Just as all cars and trucks have a sticker giving the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, so does my Bigfoot. It's 32 PSI. I run them at 40 PSI.Walt
Wouldn't over inflating be asking for a tire failure?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Wouldn't over inflating be asking for a tire failure?
From one of the earlier posts:

When I first picked up the trailer the tires were soft and the ride was really terrible. The tires are actually rated for 90 PSI (I think). They are wee 12" tires. Seems I could only get about 70PSI out of the compressor I used to top them up. I should check where they are at now. They look firm but might still be relatively soft.
Thanks.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #34
KSM

California
Having discovered that one of my rims is bent and has a wobble, I'm looking at replacing all four rims and tires. Any recommendations on a 4.8-12 4 lug rim/tire combo? Seem to be a few choices out there and I'm not clear on the application - that is, are the higher pressure tires (990llbs @ 90PSI) better suited to boat and utility trailers? Is a 50PSI tire better for me? Also wonder If I could go to 13's for the extra inch of ground clearance?
Thanks for any suggestions.
K