Smoothing out trailer ride - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to smooth out the trailer ride. The contents in our 13 foot Burro look like they have been subjected to a mixmaster when we arrive at out destination ?
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You don't say how old your trailer is, or how old the axle is. What you describe could be a sign of either a worn out torsion axle or not enough load on a newer axle.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
You don't say how old your trailer is, or how old the axle is. What you describe could be a sign of either a worn out torsion axle or not enough load on a newer axle.
Probably the only thing you can do is upgrade or tighten the cabinet catches. I had the same problem so I shaped some out of aluminum and bolted them on with aircraft nuts. The Scamp roller catches were always getting loose.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:

Roy The trailer is a 1985 U-haul and I assume the axle is the original.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Burro or Uhaul?
Either way, I'm not familiar enough with them to comment on the type of axle. Maybe somebody else can pipe in with the answer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Are you using automotive radial tires? As I understand it, car tires are thinner walled than trailer tires and as a result you will get more bounce. Also, last year we changed and upgraded the tired old axle on our '84 trailer and there was a huge change in the amount of bounce. That old original axle was rated at 1350 lbs and I suspect that our loaded towing weight was getting pretty close to it's maximum.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Are you using automotive radial tires? As I understand it, car tires are thinner walled than trailer tires and as a result you will get more bounce. Also, last year we changed and upgraded the tired old axle on our '84 trailer and there was a huge change in the amount of bounce. That old original axle was rated at 1350 lbs and I suspect that our loaded towing weight was getting pretty close to it's maximum.

I am running ST bias ply tires and am in the process of replacing the tires. I am thinking maybe ST radials and perhaps that will help with the ride as versus bias ply but I am a little concerned that the softer sidewall of the radial may lend itself to sway? Lee
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I am running ST bias ply tires and am in the process of replacing the tires. I am thinking maybe ST radials and perhaps that will help with the ride as versus bias ply but I am a little concerned that the softer sidewall of the radial may lend itself to sway? Lee
We just finished a week-long outing - over 1300 miles - with new Carlisle [b]radial trailer tires, and our camper (13' Trillium) bounced less and rolled nicer than with the old bias ply tires that were on it. Early indications are that the mileage is 1+mpg better.

MarvonW.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
The problem could be in the tow vehicle. We always had the same problem with cabinet contents.

Also (unrelated), the rear suspension of my Pathfinder is quite soft and would squat noticeably when we hitch up our Casita. So I installed air bags to firm up the rear springs. And guess what? The stuff in the cabinets stopped scrambling itself! I never realized the ride was that bouncy but I guess it was.

Marv (not Marv W, another Marv)
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How fast are you driving?
What's the tongue weight? Is it 10-15% of the total trailer weight?
Towing tongue up, tongue down... or level?
If you have boxes of food or coolers, put those right over the axle in the trailer.

Okay, I'm out of ideas.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lee.

You might want to have the trailer wheels balanced, if not already done. Shock absorbers can make a big difference. Monroe makes a kit for trailers, welding required. We have shock absorbers on our trailer.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
We just finished a week-long outing - over 1300 miles - with new Carlisle [b]radial trailer tires, and our camper (13' Trillium) bounced less and rolled nicer than with the old bias ply tires that were on it. Early indications are that the mileage is 1+mpg better.

MarvonW.
Marvon Thanks for your input I am sitting on the fence between bias ply and radial. Your experience may make the decision for me. Lee
Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
The problem could be in the tow vehicle. We always had the same problem with cabinet contents.

Also (unrelated), the rear suspension of my Pathfinder is quite soft and would squat noticeably when we hitch up our Casita. So I installed air bags to firm up the rear springs. And guess what? The stuff in the cabinets stopped scrambling itself! I never realized the ride was that bouncy but I guess it was.

Marv (not Marv W, another Marv)

Another Marv We are towing with a Honda Ridgeline and there is not any noticeable "squat" when we hook up. We also pull a 3300 lb stickie ( probably 3900 lbs loaded ) with some "squat" but not much. That's why my suspicions lean towards the trailer.
Thanks Lee
Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
How fast are you driving?
What's the tongue weight? Is it 10-15% of the total trailer weight?
Towing tongue up, tongue down... or level?
If you have boxes of food or coolers, put those right over the axle in the trailer.

Okay, I'm out of ideas.

Donna I try to stay at about 62 mph and seldom exceed that. I think tongue weight is o.k. as the we are pretty much tongue level, maybe just a little down. We will try putting more of our stuff right over the axle and see if that helps. Thanks Lee
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Lee.

You might want to have the trailer wheels balanced, if not already done. Shock absorbers can make a big difference. Monroe makes a kit for trailers, welding required. We have shock absorbers on our trailer.

Bob B I am going to put radial ST tires on the trailer next week ( I will be sure to have them balanced ) and if that doesn't help I think I will try the shock absorber approach you suggest. Did it make an appreciable difference in your towing? Thanks Lee
Old 08-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Bob B I am going to put radial ST tires on the trailer next week ( I will be sure to have them balanced ) and if that doesn't help I think I will try the shock absorber approach you suggest. Did it make an appreciable difference in your towing? Thanks Lee

so theres a kit for putting shocks on one of these torsion axles on a uhaul? I wonder if a newer axle wouldnt be easier and more "road compliant"..Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
My thought also leans toward how the trailer is packed with stuff. If your stuff (and weight) is too far back behind the axle, it'll make the trailer seesaw more over bumps. If you think your tow vehicle can handle the tongue weight, I would pack over the axle as much as possible and err by packing forward of the axle.

My advice and $4.00 might buy you cup of coffee at Starbucks.

-Carl

Carl O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
so theres a kit for putting shocks on one of these torsion axles on a uhaul? I wonder if a newer axle wouldnt be easier and more "road compliant"..Bruce

Bruce A new axle is next on my list. My Uhaul is now 24 years old and I can't imagine that the axle is not ready to be replaced. I have made arrangements for this to happen as soon as the little Burro stops rolling long enough for the work to be done ! Thanks Lee
Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #19

Carl We were at Bullard's beach this year and our weigh in indicated that we had 12% tongue weight so we should be o.k. there. However your suggestion is a really good one. Years ago I made the very mistake you point out by loading our then 16 foot Scamp to heavy in the rear and had a trailer sway incident of such magnitude that I almost piled the whole thing up in a heap! Next time you are in Twin Falls Idaho the Starbucks is on me ! Thanks Lee
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
As time went on and we loaded more and more crap into our 13' Burro the bouncing got less and less.
I tie wrapped the curtain rods in place and bungied the closet door. Placed the long stuff on the bed and sort of locked everything together on the floor. That's were it all ended up anyway.
After that, only on roads with really bad plates, I 355 in Illinois, I 90 eastbound in Minnesota ( the worse ever) did the trailer go into oscillation. Now we have the 17' Burro and so far I haven't noticed any bounce ( more room , more junk), but I haven't been on those roads yet either.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote