So many bad setups - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
So many bad setups

Just got back from a 600klm road trip. There was a huge variety of rigs. We saw smaller cars towing pop ups all the way up to pickups towing very large 5ers.
Being a Friday we saw many rigs on the road and I couldn't help but notice so many were set up so poorly.

The most common issue was the nose up or nose way down problem. One pickup towing a pop up went by in the passing lane doing over 120kph (70mph) which had the trailer nose up about 3 or 4 inches too high. The back bumper of the trailer was just a few inches off the road

The good thing was we saw no accidents.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Iowa
I hear you loud and clear. The sad thing on many of the towable units is that all it would take on the receiver hitch is a rise or drop stinger. Then there's the large pickup trucks towing off the bumper instead of having a receiver hitch installed. Finally, the recreationist who wants what I call the full experience. Stuff strapped on the front, back, top (a la a questionable rack) and rear of the towed unit, and they still have loose stuff in the pickup box. State DOTs don't have any problem writing truck drivers a ticket for infractions as minor as bugs in the air horn, but they let this stuff go on continually which is much more dangerous to the rest of us on the road. It's sad when it's refreshing to see a properly set up rig as the exception rather than the norm.
Well that's my rant for the day, I hope.
Dave

Old 07-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
There must be more enforcement, or maybe more trailer set-up Pro's, down hereabouts.

On our recent trip of some 5200 miles (approximately 8368.589km) we saw hundreds of RV's being towed and only a few, mostly hitched on the back of jacked up pick-ups, seemed enough out of kilter to get our attention but, as we were there to enjoy the beauty all around us, we weren't really looking to critique others trailer set-ups.

BTW: 600km is more like a daily commute than a "Road Trip" for many in SoCal. LOL
Old 07-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I'm with Bob. I'm out to enjoy, not to criticize other's setups. That said, I've lost count of the ones I've given a very wide berth.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
MC1

Ontario
IMHO

A week ago I started this thread about the lousy setup of rigs I saw on a recent road trip. Hap hazard set ups are accidents waiting to happen but the thread created very little interest.

To get around the dilemma of these sketchy setups I thought I would share some thoughts.........

I believe if everyone's rig was set up by someone who knows what they are doing we would be a lot better off and generally speaking the roads would be safer.

It is also wise to tow within the safe limits of your TV/trailer combination. Once again consulting with a resource or someone "in the know", whoever or whatever that is, gets optimal results when considering handling, comfort, and overall safety.

I guess the question is ...... who is the "person or resource in the know" and where would one look to find them? Guessing that, generally speaking, there are as many opinions on this question as there are forum members.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I suspect there are many folks who give towing or hitch height little thought. This group probably overlaps strongly with folks whose microwave blinks 12:00 all the time. I am amazed the highways are as safe as they are. Still I too give some rigs and more drivers a wide berth.

John
Old 07-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Wayne, we saw it all on a recent trip. Some of the trailers looked like they were doing the 'cha-cha' as they went down the road, the owner either oblivious or unconcerned. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

California
Semantics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I suspect there are many folks who give towing or hitch height little thought. This group probably overlaps strongly with folks whose microwave blinks 12:00 all the time. I am amazed the highways are as safe as they are. Still I too give some rigs and more drivers a wide berth.

John
Hopefully you meant "That" group. "We" are this group.

I only wrote that after checking my own microwave clock. It wasn't flashing 12:00, it was a blank display and, apparently, had given up waiting to be reset. LOL
Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
MC1 --

Explain the good and bad of nose up and nose down while towing.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #10

California
When you are "Nose -Up", the center of gravity is moved slightly aft in the trailer, and air will push up on the front and of the bottom of the trailer, all of which can reduce effective tongue weight, leading to instability.

Slightly "Nose Down" increase tongue weight ever so slightly and avoids the problems of being Nose-Up.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

Georgia
Registry
So slight nose down (or any nose down) is preferred over nose up?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

California
Yep, level to slightly down is better that nose up which can make some trailers somewhat squirrely (sorry for the technical jargon), especially smaller trailers like FGRV's . We are only talking something less than 2" on the hitch
Old 07-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

Georgia
Registry
So what happens when the nose is more than slightly (beside more tongue weight than should be)?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
MC1 --

Explain the good and bad of nose up and nose down while towing.

Hi Sheryl.... I guess nose is a term used off shore and in these parts we call it the tongue of the trailer. Here is an image of a nose or tongue up situation. The connection hardware on this rig is not set up optimally.

Because the front of the trailer is higher than the back it tends to make the trailer more susceptible to sway. Ideally you want the trailer level or nose slightly down at the front.