So you think you don't need trailer brakes? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
I have a UHaul VT, with out brakes right now, but before february it will have all new hubs, electric brakes, and my TV is a 1500 chevy van with a Vortic 350, some states like California have weight limits where brakes are required, 1500# I think.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
I will get my brakes from R & P like Ron did, the price is real good, and the people are very nice.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Mountain driving should not eat brakes. Brakes are not intended to control your speed, that's the job of the engine. Whether you are driving in the prairies, uphill or downhill, don't hesitate to use lower gears in your transmission to control your speed.

-- Dan Meyer
Brakes wear much faster in mountain terrain lower gears only do so much this I've learned after 45 years of driving.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Mountain driving & brakes

You can control your speed to a certain extent with gears and engine braking .... BUT.... Stopping on a downhill grade (not even necessarily in mountains) is a killer of brakes. Your brakes not only have to overcome momentum but gravity as well!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
common sense

This is one of the majority of questions which does not have an absolute answer which fits every circumstance. The combination of the TV and the TT plus reasonable judgement should result in an appropriate answer.
Then there is the law...It is wise to know the law in the area which you choose to tow, they may not always apply common sense, but they do have power and uually love to use it. You can't get fined for having brakes where they are not required.
If you can feel your trailer pushing when braking, that can usually be alleviated with the addition of trailer brakes.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is one of the majority of questions which does not have an absolute answer which fits every circumstance. The combination of the TV and the TT plus reasonable judgement should result in an appropriate answer.
Then there is the law...It is wise to know the law in the area which you choose to tow, they may not always apply common sense, but they do have power and uually love to use it. You can't get finded for having brakes where they are not required.
If you can feel your trailer pushing when braking, that can usually be alleviated with the addition of trailer brakes.
Hey Floyd,
Where can you be fined for having brakes on your camper if they are not required. I would like to read the law.

Thanks.

-John
Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #21

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Hey Floyd,
Where can you be fined for having brakes on your camper if they are not required. I would like to read the law.

Thanks.

-John
I said can't
Old 12-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I said can't
No wonder I was dumbfounded. I heard of some crazy laws but if that one existed it would be near the top of the list.

-John
Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #23

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
No wonder I was dumbfounded. I heard of some crazy laws but if that one existed it would be near the top of the list.

-John
I was once one of a small group on a town board charged with updating the ordinance book, so I have seen much stranger things.
It was once against the law to bathe before dark...
Old 12-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #24

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
considering how much time most peoples eggs spend actually hooked to their tow vehicle I doubt the reason your brake bill was steep or the repair was even needed could be linked to the egg easily.
If they were burning brakes off vehicles that much , all you'ld smell when towing would be burning brakes...and maybe see the smoke
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've been reading all the comments since my original post. Yeah, I know I could have replaced the brake cheaper (parts were over $360) if I wanted to do the work myself.. I didn't. It was below freezing at my house and I no longer have a garage to work in. The post was made for those that are looking to replace an axle (get brakes!) or those newbies with marginal tow vehicles.

Does anyone really think stopping 1,300-1,800 extra pounds behind their tug won't wear the tug brakes out faster? I mean, really?? It's a question of physics... and wallet.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #26

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
I doubt you drive it hard enough Donna to cause overly excessive wear, or that its on there enough.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #27

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
>>>>

Does anyone really think stopping 1,300-1,800 extra pounds behind their tug won't wear the tug brakes out faster? I mean, really?? It's a question of physics... and wallet.
No question. The brakes will wear out faster. Now, for the ones with an adequate TV, the question that I pose is:
Do you rather replace the TV brakes more often on TV or somewhat less often on TV and on the trailer?
My personal point of view is based on the fact that I tow only few times a year. Well, too few. I suspect that most visitors here spend more time dreaming about towing than actually towing but that is another matter.
In any case, unused brakes will rust and will require more maintenance than just replacing the worn pads. I rather have no bakes on the trailer than think that I have them and have them malfunction just because one side rusted more than the other... Well, being there, done that. No thanks. The excitement of the tail wagging the dog is not for me. Anyway; I'm digressing. My real point is that to stop any mass you will have to spend money. Spending that money on the TV brakes may be more sensible than spending money on TV and trailer brakes because the grand total may be about the same. Having said that; IF the TV and it's brakes are not adequate than trailer brakes are a must.
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #28

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've been reading all the comments since my original post. Yeah, I know I could have replaced the brake cheaper (parts were over $360) if I wanted to do the work myself.. I didn't. It was below freezing at my house and I no longer have a garage to work in. The post was made for those that are looking to replace an axle (get brakes!) or those newbies with marginal tow vehicles.

Really...
When I'm not towing I drive faster, and brake harder than when I'm towing, It may well be that my trailer saves brakes on my TV.That is also why I get nearly the same mileage with or without the trailer. We also use manual transmissions exclusively.
Too many variables for definitive conclusions, but it may well be generally true what you say... just not always.

Tags
brakes