So you think you don't need trailer brakes? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #41

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
usually you'll see those long marks just before an exit...lotta "tractor" owners pulling freight decide its easier to apply the trailer brake(they have a lever) than put wear and tear on their own stuff.....so they drag the trailer, lotta times causing those long stripes you see. Thats alot more common than anything breaking and applying the brakes
After 23 years of driving semi trucks and two of those leasing my own truck I never drug the trailer tires like that, the valve we call a trolley valve does only apply the trailer brakes and a lot of drivers do use it to save there brakes but if they are dragging those 8 trailer tires all the time they are pretty stupid.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here it is......
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations 393.43 paragraph (d)

NOTE: There is no reference to heavy trucking.

Here's a link to brochure put out by the Missouri Highway Patrol. Link
I think there is,reread my comment #33, when was the last time you slept in your Scamp?
You are right , it is not hard to google since that is the exact script which I quoted in the first place. It must be just hard to read, or interpret.
Still, we digress since I said originally..."So, according to the link..."
It is an interesting question with different conclusions, but as you say you are covered.

Revisit...
I just checked what I could find on Illinois breakaway switch requirements...

"RV Safety Requirements: Safety chains and flares required on all trailers. Trailers over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes. Over 5,000 lbs.: brakes on all axles and breakaway switch."

Recreational Trailers under 5000# require no breakaway switch.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #43

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
After 23 years of driving semi trucks and two of those leasing my own truck I never drug the trailer tires like that, the valve we call a trolley valve does only apply the trailer brakes and a lot of drivers do use it to save there brakes but if they are dragging those 8 trailer tires all the time they are pretty stupid.
thing is...thats usually what lays down the patches near exits, I drive trucks too and have seen lots do it. It's stupid but they do.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #44

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

These are the weights they will go by for the breaks
Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

These are the weights they will go by for the breaks
Actually I think they will go by the weight allowed by the registration, at least here in Illannoy.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually I think they will go by the weight allowed by the registration, at least here in Illannoy.
Yeap, that's why I got away with no brakes when I registered my trailer. They just looked at the paperwork from the factory. Had they weighed my trailer I would have had to put brakes on before registering it, rather than some 6 years later by my choice. Big difference between shipping weight 950 lbs. and actual weight 1700 lbs.

My Dad said trailer manufacturers were notorious for weighing trailers virtually empty. He thought the 950 might be simply the frame and shell with axle & tires. Probably no interior cabinets, appliances or other options.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #47

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
As floyd stated chains, breakaway switch and brakes. A lot of smaller bolers and others are under the 3000 lb requirement but then we still have the 50% rule and was it manufactured with brakes rule.

In Ontario Canada the brake rule is;

(Trailer Brakes
HTA 64, Reg. 587

Every trailer that weighs, whether loaded or empty 1,360 kg (3,000 lbs.) or more, when attached to the towing vehicle, must have brakes adequate to stop and hold the vehicle.)

Also from other sections;

If the trailer weighs, whether loaded or empty 50% or more of the towing vehicle weight the trailer must have brakes adequate to stop and hold the vehicle.

If the trailer came from the factory with brakes, they are then required.

Still I do personally believe if the load is 500 lbs or more it is a great idea for safety reasons to have brakes.

P.S.
Hard as it is at this time of year Donna, personally believe you did the right thing by fixing the brakes.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
As floyd stated chains, breakaway switch and brakes. A lot of smaller bolers and others are under the 3000 lb requirement but then we still have the 50% rule and was it manufactured with brakes rule.

In Ontario Canada the brake rule is;

(Trailer Brakes
HTA 64, Reg. 587

Every trailer that weighs, whether loaded or empty 1,360 kg (3,000 lbs.) or more, when attached to the towing vehicle, must have brakes adequate to stop and hold the vehicle.)

Also from other sections;

If the trailer weighs, whether loaded or empty 50% or more of the towing vehicle weight the trailer must have brakes adequate to stop and hold the vehicle.

If the trailer came from the factory with brakes, they are then required.

Still I do personally believe if the load is 500 lbs or more it is a great idea for safety reasons to have brakes.

P.S.
Hard as it is at this time of year Donna, personally believe you did the right thing by fixing the brakes.
I'm not opposed to any of these but what does this refer to...
"As Floyd stated chains, breakaway switch and brakes."
I don't have a breakaway switch, but I do have brakes and chains on my 13 Scamp. In fact I have modified the stock chain arrangement to make it two separate chains of a larger size, which could be crossed to form a catch basket in case of hitch hop.
As for the switch... they are cheap, so if you want one, get one.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #49

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I think there is,reread my comment #33, when was the last time you slept in your Scamp?
You are right , it is not hard to google since that is the exact script which I quoted in the first place. It must be just hard to read, or interpret.
Still, we digress since I said originally..."So, according to the link..."
It is an interesting question with different conclusions, but as you say you are covered.

Revisit...
I just checked what I could find on Illinois breakaway switch requirements...

"RV Safety Requirements: Safety chains and flares required on all trailers. Trailers over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes. Over 5,000 lbs.: brakes on all axles and breakaway switch."

Recreational Trailers under 5000# require no breakaway switch.
Many laws that are in the sections for commercial carriers are applied by enforcement to all trailers.

If your trailer breaks away and no breakaway system, you could be in trouble.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #50

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Breakaway, I'll use it hookin and unhooking, it's handy
Closed Thread

Tags
brakes