solo hitch alignment system - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Those don't appear to be telescopic.
I use EasyHitch. They collapse to about 12" so I keep them in my glove box. They have flashing LEDs on top for hitching at night. ( I recommend removing the batteries, or you'll lose them ). Also, EasyHitch is about $10 cheaper.
Go to: Easy Hitch | Trailer hitch alignment solution
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I got those telescoping ball things at Walmart, for something like $16 or so. Then I saw some at Harbor freight tools, that looked identical, for around $10. They're not perfect, still a lot of lining things up depend on driver skill, but they do help a lot.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm not keen on the self aligner either. If you have a sliding foot your jack doesn't serve as a stability point when camping and, if you don't have a sliding foot or a wheel, it's not all that kind to your tongue jack or tongue area.

As the old nursery rhyme went

"When she was good she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was horrid."

Personally I back up using the inside rear view mirror and learn what the view is supposed to look like when I am centered on the trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #24

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Sigh. I showed them to the husband, and he rolled his eyes and said you have a backup camera, how much easier can it get?

I am going to practice with some traffic cones before I am willing to risk my beloved CT13 to my bad sense of distance.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #25

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
I used something similar:

Hitchin Rod

Hitchin Rod : Amazon.com : Automotive

I also have a cap on the back of my truck so its even harder to see. But, I can still line up the rods just right and rarely have to make more than 1 attempt to get ball & hitch to line up correctly.
I've heard these are good quality that will last. I will probably buy one of these. The Harbor Freight tennis ball type didn't last long--the telescoping function pulled apart and is no longer usable. Dang!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #26

I've had these for four years.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #27

California
Registry
Good to know Glenn. I like the price too. I don't know that I'd use the blinky light though. I actually do pretty well hitching up the trailer by myself. But it does take a few treks back to the hitch before I can complete the hitch. I'm taking it out in 2 wks so I think I'll go ahead and order it.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #28

I've never had call to use the blinky light.
The mechanism to turn it on and off is bad design. You unscrew the red lens a bit to shut it off. When you toss them in the glove box, somehow the lens either twists enough to turn on and kill the batteries, or it comes unscrewed and the batteries are floating around in the glove box.
I sent them an email about this and they offered to send me replacements for the whole unit for free, but I didn't take them up on the offer. Perhaps they have changed that part of the design.
I have the lens screw on tight, with no batteries in the unit.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #29

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've had these for four years.

I purchased it on sale at ETrailer for 19.95 + 3 shipping. I've ordered from them before so it was as easy order and they take PayPal.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #30

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
Sigh. I showed them to the husband, and he rolled his eyes and said you have a backup camera, how much easier can it get?

All these gizmos mentioned above are for people who don't have back up cameras.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #31

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Or these gizmos are for people who need to practice more by going camping more!
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I have a set of the tennis balls too but don't use them.
I tried them and didn't care for them, found the sites I stay in are rarely flat so the trailer tips a bit one way and the TV a bit differently, meaning the balls never lined up. I also had issues with finding a flat level spot on the trailer to attach the magnets to, if I remember right, one would point a bit backwards so even if I had a level site the balls never touched.

I see you're in Ma as am I, if you want mine you can have em. I'm just west of Springfield, probably not worth shipping though at $20 new. I'd have to go out to the shed to make sure they are still there if you're interested.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #33

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
I've heard these are good quality that will last. I will probably buy one of these. The Harbor Freight tennis ball type didn't last long--the telescoping function pulled apart and is no longer usable. Dang!
Very durable! They have survived my accidental multiple attempts to crush them.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #34

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just came across this thread, so I'll throw my two cents in. Last year, being a complete newbie, I tried to invent all kinds of stuff. I made myself a large mirror that attached with magnets to the angled steel tube on my 5th wheel Scamp. I hoped to be able to see the ball and the coupling from above, in the rear view mirror. The alignment of the mirror was never right. It was always different, depending on the angle of approach and how level the ground was. What worked for me well however, was the white line I painted in the bed and on the tailgate of the truck. When the coupling is above that line, I straighten the steering wheel and back up the rest of the way. I may need to step out to look if I cannot see the ball and coupling over my shoulder. That happens when there is stuff loaded on the back seat and I cannot fold the back part way. What still bugged the heck out of me was the need to lower the tailgate, back in part way, get out, raise it and finish. I realized that if the gate can be held half way up, I can save that step. Its top edge needs to be just a little lower than the ball, and it just clears the gas tanks when connected. To hold it up at about 45 degree angle, I use a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod that I bent to hook onto the tailgate "hook" and the other end is simply ell shaped and engages the tailgate latch. I stash it and close gate when done. I like being able to do the hitching by myself, without a helper judging how many inches to go and which direction. We may have a communication problem! And usually the helper is busy doing other things anyway.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #35

Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
I'm definitely interested in that slide in thingy! The site shows several different models and different prices. My Burro uses a 2" ball.....is that what you have?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote