Some Towing Thoughts - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny's attitude is that in a good relationship one person has to be in charge and the other has to be listened to for input. We both wear jeans when traveling.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We both wear jeans when traveling.
And so you should Norm. It's only when you two become seniors that you have to start wearing polyester slacks!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Some Towing Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
And so you should Norm. It's only when you two become seniors that you have to start wearing polyester slacks!

I agree it is either polyester or we start wearing depends!
HA! Ain't growing old great!!!!!

Carl
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #32

Florida
W- We're well past the seniors stage. When we retired we were among the younger long term travelers though on our way to Alaska we met a young family who were home schooling their children and traveling. I would have absolutely loved that as a child, with the Internet you barely need a school.

I was not so open to change as a young parent in the sense when the kids were in the 10-13 year range I thought moving them from their school system would be disruptive for them.

I had been offered a job running a company in Seattle but choose not to pursue it. One day the boys came across the offer on my desk and were disappointed that I had not taken it. They were up to the adventure of change. I should have been smarter and asked them.

Never underestimate your family.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #33

Florida
Wayne,

From our hippie days we each always carry 3 pairs pf jeans.

When I was in the rock and roll business I had a flowered pair of jeans Ginny made for me. They went well with my beard, long hair and leather 'purse' and boots. At the time we lived on a Geodesic dome some 50' in diameter. (No wonder my kids were into change.) The dome was white and we had laser light shows on the dome.

Those were the times.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Wayne,

.... The dome was white and we had laser light shows on the dome.

Those were the times.....
Hmmm isn't your camper a white dome of sorts? Laser light shows would certainly make an interesting campground show.

Show em how it's done old school and cool.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #35

Florida
Dome

The dome had a fiberglass exterior. We built three of them in about 10 days. Sort of like an old time barn raising.

The domes came as kits, big wooden fiberglass triangles, 2x6s to make a domed spider web using connectors. The 2x6s went up in a day. Then 2x6s were covered with plywood and seams glassed.

Friends came with hammers to nail on the plywood. Our wives cooked up a storm every lunch and supper. Truly a life time experience.

We lived in one another to manufacture electronic drums.

Life has been fun.... Norm the former hippie.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #36

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
The dome had a fiberglass exterior. We built three of them in about 10 days. Sort of like an old time barn raising.

The domes came as kits, big wooden fiberglass triangles, 2x6s to make a domed spider web using connectors. The 2x6s went up in a day. Then 2x6s were covered with plywood and seams glassed.

Friends came with hammers to nail on the plywood. Our wives cooked up a storm every lunch and supper. Truly a life time experience.

We lived in one another to manufacture electronic drums.

Life has been fun.... Norm the former hippie.
Our family built a 50' 5/8 dome on a 16 sided basement back in the early 70's Norm. It was for my only brother (older, and a died-in-the-wool motor homer) and his wife. Seems to me we got it up and covered in a weekend, my dad, my brother John, brother-in-law Richard and me. I haven't thought about that in a long time! Suffice it to say, I had at least shoulder length hair!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #37

Florida
Frank,
As I recall the entire dome kit cost $1500 in 1970, $1000 for shipping., for a 2000 square foot building, 25 feet high in the center.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #38

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I have no clue Norm. My brother was buying the stuff, I was just unpaid labor. We ate good that weekend though. My mom was a cook extraordinaire.

Those were different days.

And you were a musician eh? My dad was the lead guy for a band called the Triple Tones, busy every weekend, often with a couple jobs. Couple of accountants and a mechanic buddy of theirs. They had a grand time, and made money to boot.

We're packing for the 2nd trip with our egg. First one was cold and wet and short. We're hoping this is none of those! We celebrating the holiday as well as our 40th wedding anniversary.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #39

Florida
Frank.

We're celebrating our 50th this year, August 29th. The kids have rented a campground on a lake for the weekend, a family overnight party.

Our trip to Newfoundland this year was our personal 50th celebration. I hope to celebrate our 51st there as well.

I really not a musician, I can't even play a whistle though I've owned all or parts of two musical instrument companies.

After my Dad died the president of the company I worked for recognized I was depressed and sent Ginny, our oldest son and me to Nice, France and told me to "stay there until you're feeling better". They had some projects I could work on.

Well in the 3rd month I got a call from a friend in the states asking me if I wanted to start an electronic music instrument company. Not knowing anything about music, or worse electronic music, I said sure.

The start of a new career in music, an instant decision for the new, really not much different in principle to how I became a RVer.

Sometimes a gut choice, simply following your instinct, takes you down a surprisingly worthwhile path. Frank, probably just like your marriage. Sounds like you and your wife made a solid choice.

Have a wonderful anniversary.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #40

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Frank,
As I recall the entire dome kit cost $1500 in 1970, $1000 for shipping., for a 2000 square foot building, 25 feet high in the center.
One of my high school classmates (Class of '73) built one of those right after graduation and made it into a two-story bar with a small stage for a live band - calls it the Silverdome Saloon & Music Hall - in Silver Cliff, Colorado. He's still running it, and it's still a rocking little hangout for local rowdies and weekend road warriors.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #41

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Joining in

War Eagle, it looks like your friend has sold out to the standard building style. Google Map:

Silverdome Saloon & Music Hall, Main Street, Silver Cliff, CO

Norm, speed affects your gas mileage disproportionately. That is because the drag increases as the square of the speed. At 50 mph the factor is 2500. At 60 mph it is 3600. A near 50% drag increase for a 20% speed increase.

We have recently changed to our second automatic transmission. Our first was a push button 2 speed transmission 1957 Dodge Coronet coupe with a Red Ram V8 which got all of 6 mpg.

The old knees were beginning to complain about clutching.

Hmm. I wonder if the young uns know what a coupe is?

One thing I do to check the trailer brakes is allow the rig to 'creep' when waiting at a stop light and then confirm that the trailer brakes stop it with the manual lever.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #42

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Another GoogleMaps error....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
War Eagle, it looks like your friend has sold out to the standard building style. Google Map:
Silverdome Saloon & Music Hall, Main Street, Silver Cliff, CO
Roger, What you found is another GoogleMaps blunder. The photo they show is from the other end of main street (an auto repair shop and an ice cream shop) in the sister town of Westcliffe (the two towns of Silver Cliff and Westcliffe are side-by-side, each having only a few hundred inhabitants and lots of history going back to gold mining days). I'm trying to attach a couple photos of the real Silverdome Saloon (pulled from a Google image search) - a view from the parking lot, and a view from inside of the bandstand. I hope they come through....
Attached Thumbnails
Silverdome Saloon.png  
Attached Images