Some Towing Thoughts - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #99

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Andrew, this goes back to my original point. Everything is a compromise. The Bowlus may not be perfectly aerodynamic, but it probably comes closer than most RV's on the market today. It APPEARS to be about as streamlined as anything that is actually inhabitable and practical. To taper any slower, there would be a long unusable space that would add more length, but not much more capacity.

What trailer would you point to as a good example of truly aerodynamic shape?

I'm a noob to TT's and campers. Just winging' it in this thread, but having fun throwing theories at a wall, and seeing what sticks. I learn something every day I look at this forum. There are Subject Matter Experts (SME's) willing to help answer almost any question that crops up. That's pretty amazing!

Tom

Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #100

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The Bowlus....APPEARS to be about as streamlined as anything that is actually inhabitable and practical. To taper any slower, there would be a long unusable space that would add more length, but not much more capacity.
The problem is that if was made more aerodynamic, many people would think it looked less aerodynamic - all that 'eye training' on supposedly aerodynamic shapes like the VW.

The Bowlus would be better if the back end tapered more slowly and just stopped at the same length in a flat bulkhead - a Kamm tail, as suggested by Herr (Professor?) Kamm back in the 1930s and still in use today on low drag shapes like the Toyota Prius or the GM EV-1 (the lowest drag production vehicle).

Incidentally my personal rule of thumb is that airflow can stay attached to a body that tapers up to about 15 degrees from the horizontal or straight-ahead. More than about 15 degrees or almost any sharp change in taper and the flow won't stay attached and any body behind that will be doing no good.

If you have your own wind tunnel you can do better than this, but then if you have your own wind tunnel, nothing I write would tell you anything new.......

Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #101

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Speaking of aerodynamic's I have noticed a number of people with the tailgate taken off their trucks and when I have asked they have indicated it improves gas milage as the tailgate blocks the wind movement.

An interesting article based on wind tunnel test suggests the opposite is true.

Tailgate Up or Down - Truck Test Digest
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #102

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
The reason why my tailgates have always been up and closed!

Nothing like truck mythology...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 AM   #103

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
By the way could you explain the phrase 'double radius' and did your plywood trailer shown earlier in the thread have a name?
Sorry, someone has just pointed out I did talk about 'double the radius'. What that rather scientific graph shows is that a rectangular body with all front corners rounded would have significantly less drag if the radius was about twice as large as it is on a typical egg - about 20% of the body width or height each side, whereas I would guess most are around 10% at most. Note that this is referring only to the front end shape, not the back.