Spare Tire Bike Carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Spare Tire Bike Carrier

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone has used a Spare Tire Bike Carrier on their FG trailer. I have a 1981 Bigfoot 17', and a 2010 Dodge Journey pulling her. We have been squeezing four bikes into the trailer, but this is not convenient for several reasons.

I have seen a few spare tire bike carriers around, ranging from $100 (Allen) - $250 (Thule). Canadian Tire currently has a Sportrack on sale for $150cdn. Has anyone used these, or have any better suggestions?

Thanks!!
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't off hand know how your spare tire is attached, but there have been a number of comments about bike racks on spare tires pulling out of the fiberglass, or cracking the back wall or even breaking the welds where they were attached, and even one mention of a bike rack in a 2" receiver cracking a weld on the bumper to frame attachment..

On top of that adding that much weight at the back is not only going to reduce your tongue weight substantially, it can also induce what's called the "Pendulum Effect" where the extra weight that far back induces sway.

Overall it sounds like a bad idea on the back of a 17' BigFoot. Have you thought about a roof mounting bike carrier?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Geoff, if you tire mount is solidly welded to the frame, the tire mounted racks should work fine. Otherwise, if it was a bolted on type, or one attached to the shell at all, I would stay away from them.

An alternative is to get a receiver properly welded on to the frame, extending out enough so a rack in it clears the spare. This will give you much more for options on good bike racks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Thanks guys. The tire mount is bolted to the bumper. I've been avoiding roof racks as they are usually limited to two bikes, and they are awkward, but maybe that is the best option here. I'll keep hunting. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
I have a reciever mounted bike rack on our 16 Scamp and have hauled 2-4 bikes for years and have not had any issues. I wouldn't recommend using a bumper mount though.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thanks guys. The tire mount is bolted to the bumper. I've been avoiding roof racks as they are usually limited to two bikes, and they are awkward, but maybe that is the best option here. I'll keep hunting. Thanks.
I notice in your signiture you own a Bigfoot, a recent thread was about the rear bumper failure on a Bigfoot and actually falling off due to the weight of the tire. In this instance the bumper was aluminum, just make sure the bumper is robust enough itself and thatthe mounting points to the frame will also carry the load
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Name: Mary
Wisconsin
Where on the scamp is the receiver mounted if not to the bumper?
maryandjeff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp factory receiver is welded to the bumper using a piece of angle iron and to an extra tubular cross member welded between the main frame rails under the rear of the cabin. The bumper itself is steel L-stock welded to the ends of the main frame rails.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
On Scamp the hitch receiver is welded to the bumper and to the frame beam which is running parallel to the bumper about 10 inches apart.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Scamp factory receiver is welded to the bumper using a piece of angle iron and to an extra tubular cross member welded between the main frame rails under the rear of the cabin. The bumper itself is steel L-stock welded to the ends of the main frame rails.
Thanks for the help-we still have concerns about tongue weight and don't want to do roof racks. We will have to do a little more evaluation.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Spare Tire Bike Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
On Scamp the hitch receiver is welded to the bumper and to the frame beam which is running parallel to the bumper about 10 inches apart.

That frame beam is not present in the standard build. I ordered the receiver kit from Scamp to retrofit and the extra frame member came in the kit. Surprise!

There is a company that makes a bolt-on receiver for Casitas. I don't know it it also fits Scamps or if they make a product for Scamps, but if so it's probably a better solution...

When it comes to bikes and small eggs, there are no easy solutions, unfortunately. A fork-mount system in the bed of a truck is probably the safest, simplest, and most stable, but you have to have a truck...
Old 08-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #12

Wisconsin
No truck and I agree.
My husband may try to build a box over the propane tanks on the tongue and mount a rack on that.
It is just the two of us.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Spare Tire Bike Carrier

Floyd did something like that on a 13' Scamp. You could PM him for details, or perhaps he will chime in. His moniker here is "floyd."
Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Arvika makes a nice over the propane tanks bike rack. saw one recently, nice but expensive
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #15

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That frame beam is not present in the standard build. I ordered the receiver kit from Scamp to retrofit and the extra frame member came in the kit. Surprise!

There is a company that makes a bolt-on receiver for Casitas. I don't know it it also fits Scamps or if they make a product for Scamps, but if so it's probably a better solution...

When it comes to bikes and small eggs, there are no easy solutions, unfortunately. A fork-mount system in the bed of a truck is probably the safest, simplest, and most stable, but you have to have a truck...
We make bolt-on receivers for Casitas and Scamps.
We also have a propane shelf box thingy.
All the gory details at Generator Security, Casita Add-ons.. The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
We make bolt-on receivers for Casitas and Scamps.
We also have a propane shelf box thingy.
All the gory details at Generator Security, Casita Add-ons.. The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works

Jim

I purchased from Jim one for my Scamp and it was very well made and designed and easy to install.... or at least the guys out at Escape Trailers who installed it for me, told me it was!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Thanks
Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #18

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

I purchased from Jim one for my Scamp and it was very well made and designed and easy to install.... or at least the guys out at Escape Trailers who installed it for me, told me it was!!

And we are now out of stock on Scamp hitches. Will the fun never end? --Jim..
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Thank you