Spare Tire Holder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')

Hi, How would I add a spare tire holder to the PlayPac? I don't think there's room on the tongue and the back bumper is part of the frame, so it should be stout enough. Is there something after market that will work with a skinny tube bumper?

Bonnie
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

I think most Scamps and Casitas actually put bolts thru the body of the trailer to mount the spare tire to, rather than mounting a holder on the bumper.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #3

Darn. I don't want to poke holes in the body. It might just havta ride in the Jeep. I'll keep looking.

Thanks

Bonnie
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bonnie,
If you check at a boat trailer supply business or someplace like Northern Tool, they sell brackets that clamp to the side of the tongue and provide a mount for a spare.

I didn't have room on the tongue for a spare due to the size of the propane tank. Since our trailer only uses propane for the cook-top, which we rarely use, I downsized the propane tank to a 5 pound and that made room for the spare. It has worked great.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73194432

Tom Trostel
Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Besides the side mount option, you might also take another look at the tongue from the perspective of mounting it underneath the tongue with U-bolts.

The problem with mounting it on the rear bumper is partly the weight and partly the torque it will have on the bumper from moving forwards and back, which is why the rear-wall mounts on several brands.

Don't overlook the fact that one reason fiberglass trailers are better than some others is that it isn't an irreversible step to drill holes in them to install fasteners.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Bonnie,
The spare tire holder on my Bigfoot bolts onto the bumper without drilling holes. It came this way when I got it but I am assuming it is an aftermarket add on.
Here's a picture (spare tire is removed right now)
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE_HOLDER.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9497

Someting like tis might be able to be added to the tongue if you have room also.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The factory stock spare tire bracket on the rear bumper of my Boler B1700 is very similar to the one posted by Lainey. That bumper, and the frame to which it attaches, are more substantial than the corresponding parts of a typical 13' egg.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 5500

Name:	IMG_0572.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	9501
[attachment=11826:atta
chment]Bonnie, i just removed a plywood box from the back of my 13' Boler and mounted the spare tire holder directly onto the bumper. I have seen some mounted directly thru the shell, but it is a 1970 and i didn't want to stress the fiberglass shell if at all possible.

Was pretty straightforward to mount it, although i did have to get some custom u-bolts made in order to fit the bumper as it is pretty narrow. i got the ubolts done at the local spring manufacturing shop -- they install leaf springs, do lots of frame repairs etc.,

i have attached 3 pics, one of the "naked" bumper, a side view of the spare tire mount and the rear view. the mount was recycled, but is a pretty standard after-market model. came with a couple of bolt-on brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0567.JPG   IMG_0574.JPG  

Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
My spare hides under the dinette floor. I had a welder (me) attach a steel support across the frame low enough for the tire to slip under the floor. Drilled 2 bolt holes thru the steel and mounted the wheel. Out of the way and close to the axle.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I traveled across country with a spare tire on a bike carrier. It worked great.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I traveled across country with a spare tire on a bike carrier. It worked great.

Bobbie

Trillium has factory spare tire mount welded to rear bumper.

FRED........................................
H. Fred Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro
The previous owner of my Burro had mounted the tire to the back fiberglass. At first I liked it, but I noticed that it was actually creating cracks in my shell. I definately wouldn't recommend it.
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #13

May have found the spare tire solution. I'll be towing the PlayPac to the local trailer shop sometime soon -- Friday or Saturday. They've assured me we can work something up. They actually have a 'light' duty bolt on that should work. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Another $100 or under.

Bonnie
Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #14

How about $10.75 including tax?

HF Spare Tire Mount

Rated for 100lbs. Fits the bumper; will mount the tire later, after it cools down.

Bonnie
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro
this is the one I found. JC Whitney

JC Whitney tire carrier

One folds down $27.99 and one is rigid $24.99. I was worried that the one similar to the one above wouldn't keep the tire high enough. Most of those were for the front of the trailer like a boat trailer.
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984

Name:	Spare_Tire_Bracket_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	9807

Here's my new spare tire bracket freshly painted and ready to mount on the rear bumper. I used some 1" square tubing, some 1/2" nuts and bolts, a couple of pieces of pipe as spacers and a few washers. I made it from parts from my "odds and sods" box but all the parts can be purchased at your local hardware [CTC] store and assembled to suite your application. It will have a 1" rubber bushing mounted at the top as a spacer to protect the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Here's my new spare tire bracket freshly painted and ready to mount on the rear bumper. I used some 1" square tubing, some 1/2" nuts and bolts, a couple of pieces of pipe as spacers and a few washers. I made it from parts from my "odds and sods" box but all the parts can be purchased at your local hardware [CTC] store and assembled to suite your application. It will have a 1" rubber bushing mounted at the top as a spacer to protect the trailer.
Can you post another picture when you have that mounted, and maybe with and without the tire?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #18

That might have to waite a bit. I found a pair of 8" wheels, at a yard sale,which lowered the rig enough to let me get it into the garage. I just finished putting the second coat of paint on the top half of trailer this AM. I'll let it harden for about a week or so then sand and add the third coat. after that comes the bottom half and a little FG repair. I don't expect to finish now before winter. Next year a new axle. Hope to have it finished for next summer's camping.
But I'll see if I can get a pic of the set up for you if I can squeeze back there with the camera. Too much junk.
Jim
Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #19

Name:	Spare_wheel_Bracket_and_tire__2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	9813

Okay!
I got back there and moved enough stuff around so I could get a couple of shots. The top of the tire is about three inches below the belly band and there is a good inch of space between the top of the bracket and the body of the trailer. The bottom of the spare is mid bumper. This is just my own concoction but mabee it'll help
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Spare_wheel_Bracket_and_tire__2__3.jpg