Spare tire question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Spare tire question

Can anyone tell me if removing the spare tire from the rear of my 84 Scamp would create a sway or towing problem ? I have plenty of room in my tow vehicle to carry it .
Thanks all,
Maine_Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Paul, removing the spare tire from the back will NOT create sway, as it would actually be creating a MORE stable towing scenario.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Paul, removing the spare tire from the back will NOT create sway, as it would actually be creating a MORE stable towing scenario.
Dave & Paula
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Agreed.. I carry my spare in the truck of the tug. Trailer tows better. Plus you avoid all the gunk that accumulates under and behind the spare and the rubbing damage to the back of the camper. Plus there might even be less UV exposures / damage to the spare.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The only problem might be to increase the tongue weight too much. As the others say, that would not cause sway, but it could result in a bad weight distribution on the TV axles.
My guess it it would not be enough to cause a problem.

Walt
Old 04-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Spare tire question

No issue with sway, but... Hate the smell of rubber inside the vehicle, have to take it out and store it somewhere when not towing (and remember to put it back every trip), have to secure it so it doesn't become a deadly projectile in an accident...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
agreed

jon I agree our spare is bolted on securely to the back of the trailer I am leaving it there!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I changed the axle on my Scamp and went to 15" tires, the spare would no longer fit on the back because of the bumper of the trailer. So I then carried in the back of the truck. BUT that became a PITA, because it was one more thing to remember to pack... and drag out of the garage. There ARE benefits of the spare always being on the back of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You will also end up with an ugly ring and bolts sticking out on the back of the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
You will also end up with an ugly ring and bolts sticking out on the back of the trailer.
Bolts yes, but not the rings.. That is to say, no ugly rings IF you take the spare off in the first year or so and do a little polishing. That is one reason I don't want to put it back on the back.

The bolts could be removed also, but thats a semi-permanent mod.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
One other thought. I have a Scamp 13 with the spare on the back and the elastic cover. I used to leave the spare on the trailer all the time. The last couple winters I have removed the spare and stored it inside. Then last month I discovered water in the rear of the trailer and tracked it down to the spare tire bolts. There is no sealant or gasket on the bolts. I think having the tire mounted and snugged up against the body deflects most water that would otherwise have a chance to leak in through the bolt holes.

I added rubber gaskets to my bolts. They now pass the hose test.
SteveGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
When I added a 2" receiver hitch and a Stow-Away roto-molded storage box on the back of my Casita 17 SD, my spare was relegated to riding in the bed of the pickup. But rather than have it lying down, and taking up a lot of "floor space" in the bed, I welded up some scrap ends of metal left over from other projects to make a bracket to store and mount it vertically. It is free standing, fits right in the corner behind the wheel well, and is easily removable to store in the garage when we're not towing the trailer. It is also very handy and accessible if I should need it, since it is right near the tailgate. When we carry it, we secure it to the side of the pickup bed with one of those heavy rubber bungee cords. Rides very securely and stays put.

(As an aside, the long flat-bar piece I welded under the front of the base, originally thinking about added stability, I found to be unnecessary. The long piece has since been shortened to the length of the rear one (about 3 inches) making the whole set-up a little more easy to handle.)
Attached Thumbnails
112.JPG   113.JPG  

IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We keep ours under the rear bed. It sits on a piece of plywood that covers the water tank so we don't lose much storage. It holds the bag of dog food quite nicely.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote