Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Of course it is true that "speed kills," and vehicles going significantly faster than the flow of traffic are hazardous, but does anyone here know of a definitive study on vehicles going significantly slower than the speed limit?
Yes, and you are correct. I answered in another post that studies show the number one cause of traffic collisions is improper speed, specifically driving too slow. Yes, ojbective traffic studies show that. I used to be a traffic safety instructor (defensive driving) and that's what the studies show, along with some other amazing things.

The number one cause is NOT speeding. It is safest to keep up with the flow of traffic. If the police notice a group of drivers, the one most likely to be arrested or ticketed is the one obstructing traffic, not the people driving too fast. When someone causes you to change lanes, that is a traffic obstruction, a traffic hazzard. Every day on one of my local drives, it is 14 miles on a four lane (each direction) freeway. Every day, I get behind at least three different cars holding up traffic...in the left lane, the fast lane. There are THREE OTHER LANES for them to polk along in. If cops came by, the car arrested would not be us speeders, but the person driving in the left lane with 5 to 10 cars held up behind them.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #22

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Isn't the far right lane the passing lane in TX?

John
Left lane for passing. Slow traffic to the right.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Yes, and you are correct. I answered in another post that studies show the number one cause of traffic collisions is improper speed, specifically driving too slow. Yes, ojbective traffic studies show that. I used to be a traffic safety instructor (defensive driving) and that's what the studies show, along with some other amazing things.

The number one cause is NOT speeding. It is safest to keep up with the flow of traffic. If the police notice a group of drivers, the one most likely to be arrested or ticketed is the one obstructing traffic, not the people driving too fast. When someone causes you to change lanes, that is a traffic obstruction, a traffic hazzard. Every day on one of my local drives, it is 14 miles on a four lane (each direction) freeway. Every day, I get behind at least three different cars holding up traffic...in the left lane, the fast lane. There are THREE OTHER LANES for them to polk along in. If cops came by, the car arrested would not be us speeders, but the person driving in the left lane with 5 to 10 cars held up behind them.

D*
You can rationalize traffic accident causes anyway you desire.

If a speed related accident happens -"Is it because some impatient idiot was speeding or was it caused by the more prudent driver going the speed limit?"

As for me and mine - "I believe if everyone drives at or below the speed limit, it would not only save lives, it would also reduce property damage, lower insurance rates, and reduce the amount of foriegn oil we import."

IMHO
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Statistics

I really haven't found a great source for the causes of accidents but in general it seems alcohol, speed and distractions are all near the top. When I find a good source of statistics I'll post it.

We drive slow but stay to the right on multilane roads. When we can, we avoid the super high speed highways where speed limit signs are generally a joke, neither obeyed or enforced.

On many of the interstates you can be driving the speed limit, 65 mph around here and the maximum for trailer tires, and still have cars pass you at significant speed differentials.

Of course 13 states create a legal speed differential for trailers limiting them to 55 mph.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Smith View Post
You can rationalize traffic accident causes anyway you desire.
Wrong answer. I'm not rationalizing anything. What I said was the conclusion of multiple objective traffic studies taken over a period of years in various states. No rationalization needed.

If the objective was safety and reduction in the use of fossil fuels, we should just lower the speed limit to 20 mph everywhere and be done with it.

Don

The Don Pod
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #26

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We have a 17' trailer if road is posted 80 kph drive at 85 to 90. Will not win a drag race.

Have been passed on a solid line on a blind curve while doing 10 over and towing?

One time in a rock cut (blind curve) had an oncoming passing car in my lane#@#!

Lucky to drive away from that one after being pulled out of the grass ditch.

P.S. Like The 55 mph / 88.5 kph limit rule honda03842
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
So stay in the right lane when driving slow.
This is good advise. I have noticed signs on some highways that say the LEFT lane is for passing only. I generally follow that line of thinking, though there are some !@#$%^&* Left Exit Ramps on several freeways here in California that are the exception to that rule.

Quote:
I answered in another post that studies show the number one cause of traffic collisions is improper speed, specifically driving too slow. Yes, objective traffic studies show that. I used to be a traffic safety instructor (defensive driving) and that's what the studies show, along with some other amazing things.
May we see the published study results that you refer to? Do you know the source? I would like to read the study to learn more...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #28

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Wrong answer. I'm not rationalizing anything. What I said was the conclusion of multiple objective traffic studies taken over a period of years in various states. No rationalization needed.

If the objective was safety and reduction in the use of fossil fuels, we should just lower the speed limit to 20 mph everywhere and be done with it.

Don
Just to be clear; did this study showed that it was the drivers driving at or near the speed limit that were at fault for collisions of vehicles that were exciting speed limit or, just maybe, it was drivers that were driving substantially below the speed limit that were causing the trouble?
In my book of logic 101, if a speeding vehicle changes lanes because a vehicle ahead of him is driving reasonably close to speed limit, it is only because the vehicle (driver) behind made a decision to speed and to continue speeding and this driver is solely responsible for any accident that may happen as a result of his decision to speed.
Having said that, if somebody is driving in the hammer line at half the speed limit and gets hammered from behind, he deserved it!
On multi lane highways here, typical speed limit is 100 km/h and I normally tow at 95 km/h and stick to right lane. On secondary roads, the speed limit is 80 or 90 and that's the speed I tow at and frankly, I couldn't care any less if behind me is somebody who would like to go 150. When I get to a stretch where I think it's safe to pass me, I will signal (couple blinks with right turn signal) and than it's up to them to speed or not.
In summary, I see a lot of difference between vehicles moving slowly and vehicles moving slower than some other drivers would like.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Accident Fatalities

Nationally in 2009 1/3rd of all trafic fatilities were caused by alcohol, some 11,000 of 33,000 fatalities. The second highest reason was speeding.

New Hampshire

The following site is very interesting, too much info to me to digest but I did flip thru it.

Accidents caused by passing or over taking another vehicle represent 1% of crashes. 36% of all accidents occurred at intersections, the biggest single location.

The largest mechanical factor by far was tire failure.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

A reasonable starting point for information.

One interesting point was the importance of paying attention, of not getting distracted by passengers, phones, .....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage?

This discussion changed from http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-47893.html. I gave it a thread of it's own.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When you consider what speed to travel, among other things, remember to increase the following distance to compensate for ABS which became mandatory in the U.S. in 2008, but was common for years earlier.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #32

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
When you consider what speed to travel, among other things, remember to increase the following distance to compensate for ABS which became mandatory in the U.S. in 2008, but was common for years earlier.
Not sure I understand. ABS decreases stopping distance. Not that I follow any closer now that I have ABS.

I learned to drive in some of the safest cars made -Mercedes Benz. No, not a rich kid... My father was a Mercedes mechanic, so he insisted that us kids bought used Mercedes, since they were safe and he could keep them running on the cheap. Back then, most of them didn't have ABS. Now I drive a cheap Toyota, and the braking system is SO much better than what Mercedes had in the 80s. It is amazing how much the technology had advanced!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #33

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
May we see the published study results that you refer to? Do you know the source? I would like to read the study to learn more...
This was in the stack of materials I had to learn in order to be licensed by the Texas Education Agency to be a licensed traffic safety instructor and to teach defensive driving. It was the state standard curriculum. Every instructor learned the same thing. If i had the materials close by, I would read it off. But that stuff is probably in a box in one of my storage rooms now.

Most of us were somewhat surprised until we studied it a bit and it began to make sense. Since it was presented by the state of Texas, I would like to think it was legit.

BTW, the class was comedy defensive driving. So I turned it into MUSICAL comedy defensive driving. It was a blast.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Not sure I understand. ABS decreases stopping distance. Not that I follow any closer now that I have ABS.

I learned to drive in some of the safest cars made -Mercedes Benz. No, not a rich kid... My father was a Mercedes mechanic, so he insisted that us kids bought used Mercedes, since they were safe and he could keep them running on the cheap. Back then, most of them didn't have ABS. Now I drive a cheap Toyota, and the braking system is SO much better than what Mercedes had in the 80s. It is amazing how much the technology had advanced!
Aw Shucks....
I think WikiAnswers is on your side, so you must be right.
Nuff sed!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #35

Texas
BTW, we had one older lady in a class who, during this discussion, announced that when she would get on the freeway in the left lane, she would drive 5 mph SLOWER than the speed limit "just to teach them a lesson." I think they had to sneak her out the back door from the class.

That is the kind of driver responsible for traffic collisions.

If somebody wants by, it doesn't matter the reason. It isn't your job or my job to teach them a lesson. It's better to just let them pass than to allow for road-rage to develop. it is safer to put your ego away and just make it easier for the little speeder pass. It won't hurt me any and everyone will be safer for it.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Simple physics. Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space. If you want mine, you can have it.... just let me get the 'EL outta the way.... please.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #37

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post

>>>>snip>>>>>>
Not always.
Quote: "On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances. "
Ref. Q&A REGARDING ABS BRAKES
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I am a nervous passenger, 55-60 works well for me. We have yet to find the sweet spot for fuel efficiency with the diesel truck. I do know we get MUCH better mileage at 55 or under where we kept the speed on the way home from Quartzsite last year after we had a tread delamination and were using the well aged spare.

In California where the speed limit is 55 for trailers most toy haulers go 15-20 mph over that. I'm sure glad I don't have to pay their fuel bill!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

Don
Eh! Whatever.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In my short time as a scamp owner, I have come to adopt the philosophy of NORM (HONDA 03842) . I drive 50 to 57 MPH , stay off the interstates if possible (use county or state highways), limit my driving to 200 miles or 4 to 5 hours behind the wheel per day and pull over if I'm slowing traffic. I get better MPG , see more sites and am more relaxed when I arrive.. One of the rewards of being retired is I don't have to get every thing done today THANKS NORM FOR YOUR GOOD ADViCE
Closed Thread