Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Accident Fatalities

Nationally in 2009 1/3rd of all trafic fatilities were caused by alcohol, some 11,000 of 33,000 fatalities. The second highest reason was speeding.

New Hampshire

The following site is very interesting, too much info to me to digest but I did flip thru it.

Accidents caused by passing or over taking another vehicle represent 1% of crashes. 36% of all accidents occurred at intersections, the biggest single location.

The largest mechanical factor by far was tire failure.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

A reasonable starting point for information.

One interesting point was the importance of paying attention, of not getting distracted by passengers, phones, .....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #30

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage?

This discussion changed from http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-47893.html. I gave it a thread of it's own.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
When you consider what speed to travel, among other things, remember to increase the following distance to compensate for ABS which became mandatory in the U.S. in 2008, but was common for years earlier.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #32

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
When you consider what speed to travel, among other things, remember to increase the following distance to compensate for ABS which became mandatory in the U.S. in 2008, but was common for years earlier.
Not sure I understand. ABS decreases stopping distance. Not that I follow any closer now that I have ABS.

I learned to drive in some of the safest cars made -Mercedes Benz. No, not a rich kid... My father was a Mercedes mechanic, so he insisted that us kids bought used Mercedes, since they were safe and he could keep them running on the cheap. Back then, most of them didn't have ABS. Now I drive a cheap Toyota, and the braking system is SO much better than what Mercedes had in the 80s. It is amazing how much the technology had advanced!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #33

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
May we see the published study results that you refer to? Do you know the source? I would like to read the study to learn more...
This was in the stack of materials I had to learn in order to be licensed by the Texas Education Agency to be a licensed traffic safety instructor and to teach defensive driving. It was the state standard curriculum. Every instructor learned the same thing. If i had the materials close by, I would read it off. But that stuff is probably in a box in one of my storage rooms now.

Most of us were somewhat surprised until we studied it a bit and it began to make sense. Since it was presented by the state of Texas, I would like to think it was legit.

BTW, the class was comedy defensive driving. So I turned it into MUSICAL comedy defensive driving. It was a blast.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #34

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Not sure I understand. ABS decreases stopping distance. Not that I follow any closer now that I have ABS.

I learned to drive in some of the safest cars made -Mercedes Benz. No, not a rich kid... My father was a Mercedes mechanic, so he insisted that us kids bought used Mercedes, since they were safe and he could keep them running on the cheap. Back then, most of them didn't have ABS. Now I drive a cheap Toyota, and the braking system is SO much better than what Mercedes had in the 80s. It is amazing how much the technology had advanced!
Aw Shucks....
I think WikiAnswers is on your side, so you must be right.
Nuff sed!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #35

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
BTW, we had one older lady in a class who, during this discussion, announced that when she would get on the freeway in the left lane, she would drive 5 mph SLOWER than the speed limit "just to teach them a lesson." I think they had to sneak her out the back door from the class.

That is the kind of driver responsible for traffic collisions.

If somebody wants by, it doesn't matter the reason. It isn't your job or my job to teach them a lesson. It's better to just let them pass than to allow for road-rage to develop. it is safer to put your ego away and just make it easier for the little speeder pass. It won't hurt me any and everyone will be safer for it.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #36

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Simple physics. Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space. If you want mine, you can have it.... just let me get the 'EL outta the way.... please.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #37

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post

>>>>snip>>>>>>
Not always.
Quote: "On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances. "
Ref. Q&A REGARDING ABS BRAKES
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #38

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I am a nervous passenger, 55-60 works well for me. We have yet to find the sweet spot for fuel efficiency with the diesel truck. I do know we get MUCH better mileage at 55 or under where we kept the speed on the way home from Quartzsite last year after we had a tread delamination and were using the well aged spare.

In California where the speed limit is 55 for trailers most toy haulers go 15-20 mph over that. I'm sure glad I don't have to pay their fuel bill!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Wrong answer. I'm not rationalizing anything. What I said was the conclusion of multiple objective traffic studies taken over a period of years in various states. No rationalization needed.

If the objective was safety and reduction in the use of fossil fuels, we should just lower the speed limit to 20 mph everywhere and be done with it.

Don
Eh! Whatever.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #40

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
In my short time as a scamp owner, I have come to adopt the philosophy of NORM (HONDA 03842) . I drive 50 to 57 MPH , stay off the interstates if possible (use county or state highways), limit my driving to 200 miles or 4 to 5 hours behind the wheel per day and pull over if I'm slowing traffic. I get better MPG , see more sites and am more relaxed when I arrive.. One of the rewards of being retired is I don't have to get every thing done today THANKS NORM FOR YOUR GOOD ADViCE
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #41

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Just to be clear; did this study showed that it was the drivers driving at or near the speed limit that were at fault for collisions of vehicles that were exciting speed limit or, just maybe, it was drivers that were driving substantially below the speed limit that were causing the trouble?
Traffic collisions are more often caused by people driving slower than the surrounding traffic, even if the traffic as a whole is traveling above the speed limit. They are all moving together and that is the goal.

For example, the person who sits in the left lane (the fast lane) and drives so slow that the surrounding traffic has to change lanes to pass them. The left land is traditionally and sometimes legally the passing lane. In most state driver manuals, it states slower traffic to the right to avoid obstructing traffic and faster traffic to the left.

Then on my regularly traveled 4-lane (in each direction) freeway that I have driven on four times today already, there is the person in the second lane from the left also driving so slow (compared to the flow of traffic) that they cause traffic to slow down and change lanes. If they are gonna be that slow, be in lane four or at least lane three. Seriously I see it several times a week. I see the left lane slow-pokes every time I get on the highway.

Earlier in this week, the traffic was moving along fine and suddenly began slowing down, and continuing to slow down, very slow. Finally when I reached the front, there was a car in lane two driving about 40 MPH forcing all the traffic to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting someone. Most of the traffic was driving 6o to 70 mph until coming upon this dork causing the problems. He had FOUR LANES and he chose one of the two fastest lanes to drive 20 mph below the speed limit and 25-30 slower than surrounding traffic. People who drive like THAT are the main cause of traffic collisions.

The issue is not the speed limit. The issue is the flow of traffic and obstructing traffic.

For safety's sake, put away your dang ego and let the person pass. It won't kill you and may prevent an accident. The speed limit is irrelevant in that situation. You are not a cop and it is not your job to teach the other person a lesson.

Comprende??

D*
(FYI, I am preaching to myself as well. After going through that training, watching videos and teaching the class, I still drive fast, but I do not obstruct traffic, nor to I hang out in the left lane "just to teach them a lesson.")

The Don Pod
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #42

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
>>>>snip>>>>
The issue is not the speed limit. The issue is the flow of traffic and obstructing traffic.

For safety's sake, put away your dang ego and let the person pass. It won't kill you and may prevent an accident. The speed limit is irrelevant in that situation. You are not a cop and it is not your job to teach the other person a lesson.

Comprende??

D*
(FYI, I am preaching to myself as well. After going through that training, watching videos and teaching the class, I still drive fast, but I do not obstruct traffic, nor to I hang out in the left lane "just to teach them a lesson.")
Err, I don't think that I said that I don't let people pass nor that I try to teach people how to drive. At the same time, I refuse to be "thought" that driving above speed limit is OK even that I often do so myself.
I fully agree that the left lane(s) is for the faster traffic / passing. Right lane for slow traffic and if I'm comfy driving slower than most traffic I stick to the right lane so, I don't get the comment about my "ego".

BTW. Maybe, just maybe, I have enough kilometres safely logged on multi-lane highways including the busiest highway in the North America to teach instructors how to do it safely.

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Closed Thread