Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post

BTW. Maybe, just maybe, I have enough kilometres safely logged on multi-lane highways including the busiest highway in the North America to teach instructors how to do it safely.
Sorry, it wasn't a slam at you personally. I will respond when i get back to my computer and off my phone.
__________________

__________________
Airstream FM
Beautiful Music Radio For the Internet Generation

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline  
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
BTW. Maybe, just maybe, I have enough kilometres safely logged on multi-lane highways including the busiest highway in the North America to teach instructors how to do it safely.
Now I can write. I didn't mean for it to be a slam at you personally. Sorry about that. In general we all drive with our ego. I know I do. But when teaching people who had received traffic tickets for breaking the law, I would stand in front of a class and present the facts of an issue supported with video evidence, and people would argue with it, with me, as though I was attacking them personally.

All I'm saying to everyone is has already been said, fast lane to the left, slower lanes to the right. But everyone here already knows this. Heck, most folks here have lots of experience already towing and pulling their house behind them, plenty more experience towing than I do.

As my life is now, I drive around 26,000 to 30,000 miles a year and rarely leave town. That's one reason I hate living in Dallas, a town spread out more than most. I work on four corners of town, requiring driving WAY to much for the financial return. And most of it is on two multiple-lane freeways. But I'm looking forward to the time where my driving will be OUT of the city, headed AWAY from this town and towards new adventures with old friends and new friends. Unless I change my mind, it will involve pulling a new Casita!!

D*
__________________

__________________
Airstream FM
Beautiful Music Radio For the Internet Generation

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
I think the correct way to present this information is that it is speed differentials that trigger accidents, not just speed.

Of course, the people to blame for creating all those dangerous speed differentials is everyone who isn't driving at the same speed as me - after all, I drive at the 'right' speed.
__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Of course, the people to blame for creating all those dangerous speed differentials is everyone who isn't driving at the same speed as me - after all, I drive at the 'right' speed.
Andrew, it's good to meet someone who drives at the same speed as I. Now why don't those other folks move over...my ice creme is melting!!

D*
__________________
Airstream FM
Beautiful Music Radio For the Internet Generation

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
I guess to me the "right speed" varies with circumstances. I don't want to be the fastest car on the road - at least not always! I REALLY do not want to be the slowest either. Out in the flatlands of the US "Great Plains" or Canadian Prairies it seems that about 75-85 mph just "feels right" - its a very comfortable speed - towing or not. In the mountains, after dark, on twisty-winding roads - obviously that is neither smart or prudent. In bad weather, rain, sleet, snow etc - a prudent speed is MUCH slower than on the same road in daytime. I would never try to do 75-85 if all the other traffic is going either much faster (it happens!) or much slower. I tend to 'go with the flow' and drive at a speed that feels comfortable to me.

As to the effect of speed on fuel mileage - if I can't afford to take the trip, I don't go!
__________________
BCDave is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Not being able to afford it is NOT the issue. I CHOOSE to drive slower because I feel more comfortable driving at 55 MPH , I see more scenery ,and enjoy my travels more . I choose to spend my money on other things besides gas. The savings from driving at 55 MPH is a bonus and not my primary reason for traveling.

Steve D.
__________________
steve dunham is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Steve,
I'm with you. I drive more slowly, take more scenic roads because I can and it's more enjoyable. As well it is safer.

I do understand that many people are still in the rush stages of their lives, working, families and so on.

It's true that when you get west people can drive faster and still be safe because there are simply fewer cars on the road.

Regardless how comfortable speed seems, it definitely leaves less margin. The energy of the vehicle increases as the square of the velocity; a car going 85 mph has twice the energy to dissipate compared to a car going 55 mph.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 767
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Earlier in this week, the traffic was moving along fine and suddenly began slowing down, and continuing to slow down, very slow. Finally when I reached the front, there was a car in lane two driving about 40 MPH forcing all the traffic to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting someone. Most of the traffic was driving 6o to 70 mph until coming upon this dork causing the problems. He had FOUR LANES and he chose one of the two fastest lanes to drive 20 mph below the speed limit and 25-30 slower than surrounding traffic. People who drive like THAT are the main cause of traffic collisions.
Living in Dallas, you should be used to traffic going slow without notice.
Scary though when you think that someone needs to slam on their brakes to avoid traffic going 40 MPH; what are they going to do when they discover the traffic ahead of them is at a complete stop, as in traffic jam? That might cause them to drop their cell phone!
I was a state certified driving safety instructor in Nebraska, and the studies we read showed that only 2% of accidents were caused by rear-ending, but that was in the days before cell phones and texting were popular.
I generally travel about 60 MPH in the right lane when I'm pulling the camper and haven't worried too much about being rear-ended or holding anyone up. I find that a lot more big trucks seem to be travelling about that speed now too.

John
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8 and 17 Dodge Durango V-6
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Living in Dallas, you should be used to traffic going slow without notice.
Scary though when you think that someone needs to slam on their brakes to avoid traffic going 40 MPH; what are they going to do when they discover the traffic ahead of them is at a complete stop, as in traffic jam? That might cause them to drop their cell phone!
I was a state certified driving safety instructor in Nebraska, and the studies we read showed that only 2% of accidents were caused by rear-ending, but that was in the days before cell phones and texting were popular.
I generally travel about 60 MPH in the right lane when I'm pulling the camper and haven't worried too much about being rear-ended or holding anyone up. I find that a lot more big trucks seem to be travelling about that speed now too.

John
I too drive about 60MPH when towing. A big difference is to also increase following distance for obvious reasons , but also to allow time to flash your brakes a couple of times to warn the traffic behind you.
When towing, if I suddenly come up on stopped or nearly stopped traffic I will lift and run my fourways as I approach if there is time.
__________________
floyd is online now  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I too drive about 60MPH when towing. A big difference is to also increase following distance for obvious reasons , but also to allow time to flash your brakes a couple of times to warn the traffic behind you.
When towing, if I suddenly come up on stopped or nearly stopped traffic I will lift and run my fourways as I approach if there is time.

Ummm.... You can turn on your four-ways sans your trailer brakes applying every time the lights come on? Not sure I follow....
__________________
BCDave is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Your trailer brake controller should be connected to the brake pedal switch wire. Your four ways should not activate the brakes. If they do, that sounds like a serious safety issue.
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
4 way flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Your trailer brake controller should be connected to the brake pedal switch wire. Your four ways should not activate the brakes. If they do, that sounds like a serious safety issue.

Generally speaking - unless your tug has the separate brake lights and (usually orange) turn sigs - the 4 ways and turn sigs are a part of the brake light circuits - the 4 ways flash the "brake lights" - and hence power up the same circuit that your brake controller is tapped into. On every tug I own, (or have owned) putting on the 4-ways has applied the trailer brakes each time the rear lights come on. (and every brake controller has been professionally installed - by various and sundry hitch shops)
__________________
BCDave is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 767
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Generally speaking - unless your tug has the separate brake lights and (usually orange) turn sigs - the 4 ways and turn sigs are a part of the brake light circuits - the 4 ways flash the "brake lights" - and hence power up the same circuit that your brake controller is tapped into. On every tug I own, (or have owned) putting on the 4-ways has applied the trailer brakes each time the rear lights come on. (and every brake controller has been professionally installed - by various and sundry hitch shops)
That shouldn't happen. If it did, then what's the sense in even having a brake controller if you get 12V to your brakes from the brake light wiring every time you apply the brakes or flashers? Your brake controller wiring is on a separate circuit and only allows a proportion of voltage to your brakes, from 0 to 12 depending on how hard you brake, but you have to be braking for any voltage to go through that wire (unless yours is wired incorrectly).

Both my vehicles were wired by me following the directions provided by Tekonsha and I do not have the problem you describe. Like Floyd, I apply my flashers when I come upon stopped traffic (I usually have advance notice from my CB radio) and the flashers do not apply the brakes.

You can easily test yours by turning on the flashers and then seeing if any voltage goes to the dedicated brake wire. If it does, there's a wiring problem.

John
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8 and 17 Dodge Durango V-6
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Posts: 250
Registry
I think 4 way flashers must be part of turn signal circuit not the brake circuit
__________________

__________________
Hambone is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas mileage better than expected DannyH General Chat 3 05-22-2011 09:59 PM
Just gas or gas/electric water heater? Feedback wanted. Bryan L. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 15 09-15-2010 10:11 AM
Gas Mileage Rob M General Chat 20 11-19-2007 08:19 AM
How To Get Better Gas Mileage Patrick M. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 29 10-01-2007 04:36 PM
Gas mileage vs. tire pressure General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.