Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #81

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It occurs to me that I could be surprised and find that some of the less sophisticated vehicles from the previous century may perform as you describe,since I have not towed with electric brakes on all of them and you seem so adamant
,eventhough I checked with several people today with years of experience, who have towed with other makes, and who share my experience, and I have not run across the problem in my job or at the track.
(I am a retired fleet mechanic and former SCCA crew chief.)

I will try to find a vehicle which performs as you describe and will report back if I do.
Thanks for your input...This has been an interesting discussion and I always try to learn from every possible source.
I am, afterall,old enough to be well beyond the possibility of knowing everything!

Below is what the "Wiki-Geniuses" reports on the purposes of hazard flashers, I find that I use them more for the moving purposes than the stationary ones...

Hazard flashers
Also called "hazards", "hazard warning flashers", "hazard warning lights", "4-way flashers", or simply "flashers". International regulations require vehicles to be equipped with a control which, when activated, flashes the left and right directional signals, front and rear, all at the same time and in phase.[5][15] This function is meant to indicate a hazard such as a vehicle stopped in or near moving traffic, a disabled vehicle, a vehicle moving substantially slower than the flow of traffic such as a truck climbing a steep grade, or the presence of stopped or slow traffic ahead on a high speed road. Sometimes, they are used in severe fog conditions.[citation needed] Operation of the hazard flashers must be from a control independent of the turn signal control, and an audiovisual tell-tale must be provided to the driver. In vehicles with a separate left and right green turn signal tell-tale on the dashboard, both left and right indicators may flash to provide visual indication of the hazard flashers' operation. In vehicles with a single green turn signal tell-tale on the dashboard, a separate red tell-tale must be provided for hazard flasher indication.[5][15][71][72] Because the hazard flasher function operates the vehicle's left and right turn signals, a left or a right turn signal function cannot be provided while the hazard flashers are operating.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #82

Trailer:
I haven't visited North America for a few years, so I lose touch on little differences and I don't know about four-ways on modern Merkan vehicles.

Here in Yurp one recent 'safety' idea is that on a few cars (sedans) the four-ways are triggered automatically if either the anti-lock (ABS) or the 'brake assist' is triggered - the idea being that either event means there may be an accident about to happen and it's better to warn those behind. I don't know if this idea will spread to all manufacturers or not - the take-up rate isn't fast, so it may just die out.

Now I think about it, it doesn't matter for trailer towing, since if the four-ways are triggered, the trailer brakes will already be on. Doh!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #83

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff
"My comment assumes if you're driving at the speed limit, or below, and the traffic flow is moving faster than you, you're in the right lane. It would seem contradictory to give someone a ticket for 'not' breaking the law - going faster than the posted limit. I'd like to see that one prosecuted."

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The mistake in your comment is in saying...
"It would seem contradictory to give someone a ticket for 'not' breaking the law"
In Illannoy, if you are driving in the left lane at the speed limit and you have traffic stacking up behind you, you are in fact breaking the law.

As my mom used to say..."Two wrongs don't make a right"
Ummmm.... Floyd.... READ my post again. My post you referred to assumed driving in the RIGht lane, not the left, where you say tickets might be issues. I also agree driving in the right lane and holding up traffic isn't courteous.
Barrie
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #84

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff
"My comment assumes if you're driving at the speed limit, or below, and the traffic flow is moving faster than you, you're in the right lane. It would seem contradictory to give someone a ticket for 'not' breaking the law - going faster than the posted limit. I'd like to see that one prosecuted."

Ummmm.... Floyd.... READ my post again. My post you referred to assumed driving in the RIGht lane, not the left, where you say tickets might be issues. I also agree driving in the right lane and holding up traffic isn't courteous.
Barrie
You are right , unless you are driving under the minimum in the right lane on the interstate, it would be contradictory to ticket you for obstructing traffic, and most likely could never happen. My bad.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #85

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have literally never yet seen a vehicle where the 4-ways did NOT trigger the trailer brakes. Every one I have ever towed with (and there have been quite a few!), plus every one belonging to friends (including several new trucks that have factory pre-wired harnesses) all do it.

I therefore assumed that "this is how it is" and never thought about it further until someone on here said something about putting on their 4-ways when driving slowly - which caused me to say "you can do that?"

My way to check that my plug is inserted correctly is to turn on my 4-ways and try to pull the trailer.

Of the vehicles in my driveway that have controllers in them at present (a '76 LeMans, a 1980 Chev pickup, my '92 GMC and my '97 4Runner) (I am not including my '57 Chev here, because while it has a controller, it does not have 4-ways) all apply trailer brakes with the 4 ways. All have controllers professionally installed at various shops ranging from the car dealers, to an RV dealer/service shop to a professional hitch installer. The tugs belonging to friends also all have had their controllers installed at various shops. (and several are of a type that have the factory pre-wired "plug & play" harness for simplified installation as did the leased 2008 Dodge disease-el Ram 2500 that I was stuck with for a year)

The issue is that, no matter where you get the power from under the dash, it has the same effect of flashing the BRAKE lights - hence the brake light circuit is live, hence the trailer brakes apply when the brake lights come on. With all of them, applying the brakes while 4-ways are active simply leaves the brake lights on full time, and hitting a turn signal while the 4-ways are on has no effect as all 4 continue to flash.

The only place I can think of for getting power to the brakes sans any 4-ways effect might be to tap into the wire that powers the high-mounted "third brake light" - and only one of my tugs (the 4Runner) has that 3rd light!
It amazes me that you have so many vehicles that are miss-wired.

The statement I have highlighted in red is absoutely WRONG.

The POWER for your brake controller should come from a fuse panel.

The ACTIVATION SIGNAL for you brake controller should come from the BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH activated by pressing the brake pedal.

The GROUND for the brake controller should be connected to the frame or better yet the ground on your battery.

The PRAKE APPLY signal out of the brake controller should be connected to the BRAKE pin on the 7-pin connector to your trailer.

If these are wired correctly, there is no direct connection between the 4-way hazard lights and you trailer brakes.

I have three vehicles, all with factory installed tow package, all wired correctly, and the 4-ways never apply the trailer brakes.

IMHO
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #86

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Don, I certainly agree in that situation, and have witnessed the same thing MANY times. I don't know who it is that is teaching people to SLAM on their brakes when they see a police car, ambulance, or firetruck.... But I wish they'd use some common sense and just move over to let them by.
Actually in BC it is the law to move over & STOP!

edit to include the actual rules:

emergency vehicles displaying flashing lights and sirens always have the right-of-way. All traffic moving in both directions must stop.
Exception: if you are on a divided highway and the emergency vehicle is approaching on the other side of the median, you may not need to stop. Make sure that it would be impossible for the emergency vehicle to move onto your side of the highway.
Clear a path - don't block the path of emergency vehicles. Best thing to do is pull over to the right and come to a complete stop (or to the left if you're driving in the left lane of a divided highway or on a one-way street)
Use your turn signal to let the emergency vehicle driver know you have seen the vehicle and are pulling over.
Do not stop in an intersection.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #87

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oregon has the same rules in regards to emergency vehicles as BC. Pull over and stop!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #88

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Smith View Post

The POWER for your brake controller should come from a fuse panel.

The ACTIVATION SIGNAL for you brake controller should come from the BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH activated by pressing the brake pedal.

The GROUND for the brake controller should be connected to the frame or better yet the ground on your battery.

The PRAKE APPLY signal out of the brake controller should be connected to the BRAKE pin on the 7-pin connector to your trailer.

If these are wired correctly, there is no direct connection between the 4-way hazard lights and you trailer brakes.

IMHO
The POWER comes from a circuit-breaker protected, dedicated heavy ga line mounted on the left front inner fender of the truck. It, like the charging circuit (also with its own circuit breaker) are activated by a solenoid that suppies power to the two crcuit-breakers (and their associated circuits). The solenoid is live (provides power) only when the ignition is on. (the charging circuit charges both the second - or camper - battery under the hood as well as charging the trailer batteries via another heavy ga line, also running inside a length of garden hose, under the truck)

Both go to the appropriate blades on the rear connector. Both function as they should. The trailer batteries get charged and the trailer brakes work exactly as they should. Also all other trailer running lights function as they should, including turn sigs. (I do not have back-up lights connected)

The "signal" comes from the brake pedal switch. As the intructions say when mounting a brake controller "Find the wire that is live when the brake pedal is pressed and tap into it"

So, having done that, my trailer brakes function perfectly.

I set my controller to provide a stopping distance that is (more or less) the same when towing as when "running bobtailed"

Since I have never - to my recollection at least - driven with the 4-ways on - nor can I imaging a scenario where I would want to do so, the fact that my 4-ways also pulse the brakes is a matter of minimal concern to me. It isn't a situation likely to arise!

I have pretty much decided that I simply won't bother to get the lil gizmo that is on e-trailer, as I actually cannot see a need for it. The current system works just fine for me - why mess with it and take a chance of winding up with unreliable stopping?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #89

British Columbia
AND....

I found out why the 4-ways on my 4Runner also have the same effect as on the other vehicles where the brake lights and rear 4-ways are on the same wires. Even though the 4Runner has separate (amber) rear turn sigs, there is a little "black box" gizmo mounted under the back of the SUV that allows the turn sigs and brake lights to work together on the trailer. (when I bought the Toyota, it had only a flat 4-pole plug at the back, including this lil black box.)

I checked my 4-ways on the 4Runner this afternoon and found to my surprise that the brake lights (including the high-mounted "third brake light") on the 4Runner also flashed with the turn sig lights when I hit the 4-ways. That lil black box was not working as it should and will go into the trash. Gonna have to get a new one of those, as that little thingy was powering up the brake light circuit. It worked fine if I just used a turn sig, but not with the 4-ways. I chopped it out and now everything on the 4Runner is back to working as it should. Wish I knew more of the history of that beast, but I have only owned it for a couple of weeks.

I seem to be electrically cursed lately.

I also have to re-wire a bunch of stuff under the dash on the GMC truck. When the old controller blew out in Flagstaff Ariz a month ago, it took my cruise control and anti-lock brakes with it! Initial estimates from an auto electric shop say that the trouble is most likely up inside the column. I am NOT happy! (nor am I Grumpy, Sneezy, Doc or any of the others!)
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #90

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Since I have never - to my recollection at least - driven with the 4-ways on - nor can I imaging a scenario where I would want to do so, the fact that my 4-ways also pulse the brakes is a matter of minimal concern to me. It isn't a situation likely to arise!
Here in San Diego we have an infamous interchange; I-805 bridge over I-8 in Mission Valley where some of the connecting ramps rise over 350 feet in altitude within 1/4 mile. EVERY 18-wheeler climbs that hill in the far right lane of I-805 Southbound at about 35 to 40 mph with their 4-ways on! Many Nissan Sentras and Toyota Tercells are doing good if they can maintain 50, on an interstate that has a 65 mph speed limit.

I'll have to look it up, but I thought we are required to drive with our 4-ways flashing on the interstate if we are driving less than 50 mph to warn those behind us to change lanes and pass.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #91

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Here in San Diego we have an infamous interchange; I-805 bridge over I-8 in Mission Valley where some of the connecting ramps rise over 350 feet in altitude within 1/4 mile. EVERY 18-wheeler climbs that hill in the far right lane of I-805 Southbound at about 35 to 40 mph with their 4-ways on! Many Nissan Sentras and Toyota Tercells are doing good if they can maintain 50, on an interstate that has a 65 mph speed limit.

I'll have to look it up, but I thought we are required to drive with our 4-ways flashing on the interstate if we are driving less than 50 mph to warn those behind us to change lanes and pass.

Around here we have a famous highway called the Coquihalla that runs from the coast up into the interior of BC. There are some stretches that are an 8% grade and run for miles. Semis and slow vehicles are always in the right-hand lane. Semis are required to drive with their 4-ways on, but I have never seen a smaller vehicle turn theirs on.

I do, however, occasionally see some nitwits out on the freeway (or around town) driving at or above the posted limit with theirs on!

Even though my speed on the "Coke" may not be up to the 110 kph posted (at least going uphill while towing something big & heavy!) it would just never occur to me to put the 4 ways on. There are dedicated "slow lanes" for traffic not keeping up to posted limits and if I am in those slow lanes, why turn on ANY additional lights? (never had any issues staying at the limit with a f/g travel trailer, but some other stuff I have dragged up that route.....)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #92

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Will try the 4 ways on steep hills while towing if unable to make speed limit, never thought to do so? (after testing for the 4 way braking prob)
Makes sense though too do this.
This week have been passed twice in an 80 on a double solid line on a two lane road with limit set at 80 kmh. The one day had heavy rain and it was still dark out.
The road has intermittent safe extra passing lanes and passing sections; these people put more than their selves at risk doing this. I was not going slow and driving at 80 to 90 kmh.
P.S. (would not try to tow at 100 plus and would expect a ticket for unsafe driving if i did) they have zero tolerance days and will ticket for 10 plus over posted limit also not fond of pogo sticks.
(14 over is points time)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #93

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Will try the 4 ways on steep hills while towing if unable to make speed limit, never thought to do so? (after testing for the 4 way braking prob)
Makes sense though too do this.
This week have been passed twice in an 80 on a double solid line on a two lane road with limit set at 80 kmh. The one day had heavy rain and it was still dark out.
The road has intermittent safe extra passing lanes and passing sections; these people put more than their selves at risk doing this. I was not going slow and driving at 80 to 90 kmh.
P.S. (would not try to tow at 100 plus and would expect a ticket for unsafe driving if i did) they have zero tolerance days and will ticket for 10 plus over posted limit also not fond of pogo sticks.
(14 over is points time)
Well, according to some, it was you who was endangering others because you didn't pull over to let others to speed on.
According to my observations, it doesn't matter how fast you drive, there is always somebody who wants to drive faster than you.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #94

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Oregon has the same rules in regards to emergency vehicles as BC. Pull over and stop!
"Pull over and stop" doesn't mean SLAM on your brakes like you're headed for a cliff. People truly don't think about what they do sometimes.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #95

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
"Pull over and stop" doesn't mean SLAM on your brakes like you're headed for a cliff. People truly don't think about what they do sometimes.
Actually it does if you are in the left lane - where the law is just STOP - not pull over. The assmption is if the person behind you is paying attention to the road and sees the flashing lights and it they are following you at a safe distance which is also the law then they should have no problems with stopping fast.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #96

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Left lane for passing. Slow traffic to the right.

D*
All highway signs should look like this to keep the confusion down!
Attached Thumbnails
205825_10150352513520469_607210468_10219840_7045817_n.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #97

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

I love it!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #98

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
PERFECT!

Got behind someone Wednesday driving slower in the left lane with SEVEN cars trailing along behind them.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #99

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bronco 800/Trail-Lite 521
Arizona
Registry
Sorry to here about your friend, There is no 2 lane higway in the US that has a speed limit higher than 65mph so 62 MPH is not poking along and there are passing lanes available on a frequent. You can't account for the uninformed inpatient noodle heads who had no proper upbringing. Are you suggesting only those idiots drive the highways
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #100

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. AZ View Post
There is no 2 lane higway in the US that has a speed limit higher than 65mph
Im not so sure about that.I traveled a number of 2 lane highways in Montana this summer that I assure you the speed limit was 75 mph. I recall it all to well as I was really suprised by it and actually asked a couple of the locals about it when I stopped for gas.
Closed Thread