Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #57

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
A very interesting discussion on driving styles. When driving on a multilane highway, without my Trillium, I set the cruise control at the speed limit. I stay to the right and, yes, I am regularly passed like I'm standing still. I don't consider driving at the speed limit irresponsible. I have encountered many speed traps where multiple police cars are situated in dips in the highway picking off speeders and rotating back to their original position when the tickets are written. I understand an increasing number of jurisdictions are relying on traffic fines to compliment their tax base... and that makes sense. If you increase local taxes you upset the locals. If you write speeding fines for transients passing through it's easy money.
When towing my Trillium, 55-60 mph works for me. If traffic becomes heavy it's usually a good time to pull into a rest stop for a nap or cup of coffee; I don't enjoy towing in heavy traffic any more than those drivers around me wanted to pass. In my 'pre egg' days, I too would get annoyed by 'slow driving' RV's. Yes, I passed them. If I was involved in an accident during one of these passes I would have blamed the $#@! RV. But... I would have been at fault both logically and legally. The posted speed 'limit' is the legal maximum. I have seen lots of examples of drivers being fined for exceeding the posted limit. I am not aware of any drivers being ticketed for driving 5-10 mph under the maximum for 'obstructing' traffic. (It may have happened but certainly the number, if any, would be a mere fraction of those ticketed for speeding)
Also interesting is the likely hood that no ones driving habits will be changed by this discussion.
Barrie

Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #58

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Also interesting is the likely hood that no ones driving habits will be changed by this discussion.
Barrie
True, very true. And that's with any opinion. We just need to be nice and honor everyone's opinion as it's just as important to them as ours is to us.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #59

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Apparently it is quite common for the 4-way flashers to trigger the trailer brakes every time the tug's brake lights come on. It gives the exact same effect as if you stepped on the brake pedal - the rear brake lights circuit is powered up, sending a signal to the brake controller. If the controller has an 'aggressive" setting - for example like one would set it when towing something big & heavy, then the controller starts the sequence of applying trailer brakes.

Since I always have my setting such that my stopping distance is essentially the same towing as it is when "running bobtailed", I guess I must be using "an aggressive" setting. (What's the use of having trailer brakes if you still have a huge stopping distance?)

On the e-trailer site they have a little gizmo (essentially a blocking diode with a mounting bracket) designed specifically to deal with this (somewhat common) problem.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #60

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
I am not aware of any drivers being ticketed for driving 5-10 mph under the maximum for 'obstructing' traffic.
Barrie
In California, if you are driving and three vehicles pass you on the right, you get a ticket for obstructing traffic. It's the law. There are other laws but that one comes to mind.

Yesterday, on our eight lane expressway 4X4, I was one of five cars forced to pass (on the right) a slower moving white auto driving in the left lane. And there was a line still behind that car when I drove on.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #61

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/uc...m/fz110914.gif
Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #62

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
In California, if you are driving and three vehicles pass you on the right, you get a ticket for obstructing traffic. It's the law. There are other laws but that one comes to mind.

Yesterday, on our eight lane expressway 4X4, I was one of five cars forced to pass (on the right) a slower moving white auto driving in the left lane. And there was a line still behind that car when I drove on.

D*
My comment assumes if you're driving at the speed limit, or below, and the traffic flow is moving faster than you, you're in the right lane. It would seem contradictory to give someone a ticket for 'not' breaking the law - going faster than the posted limit. I'd like to see that one prosecuted. In an increasing number of jurisdictions trucks are required to have speed limits programmed into the engine computers that can be checked at scales. The drivers can't change these in most instances. What's safe and prudent to some is considered inconsiderate to others.
Barrie
Barrie
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #63

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
It would seem contradictory to give someone a ticket for 'not' breaking the law - going faster than the posted limit. I'd like to see that one prosecuted.
Obstructing traffic IS breaking the law.

Speeding is breaking the law.

I suppose it is up to the officer to decide which is more dangerous at the time. The point is to keep traffic flowing safely. In the context of the traffic flowing safely together, even if faster than the speed limit, that is not as unsafe as one person obstructing traffic in that situation, causing people, often multiple cars, to change lanes to go around them. That is as dangerous as speeding in this context.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #64

Texas
Example:

Last night, around 9:30, i was traveling on a 4-lane, divided, limited access highway, like an interstate. Fairly busy traffic out of the city, moving along around 60-65 mph. Speed limit is 60 but most folks drive 65 or 70 on that highway. I was in the right lane with many cars. We were all moving along so there was plenty of room between cars, no tailgating. In my rear--view mirror I saw the lights of a police car pretty far back. Traffic moving smoothly.

It took the police car 15-20 seconds to get up to where I was. The police car was en route and driving in the left lane. Everyone was moving over to the right lane as he approached. I slowed down some as most of the cars did. But the traffic was moving and he had a clear lane, the left lane. So siren, just the lights.

Suddenly I looked up and the idiot car in front of me had almost stopped in the highway, dropped speed suddenly to around 40 mph. He didn't pull over to the side as he shouold, he just put on his brakes and slowed down in front of me.

I was not driving close to him, but I had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear-ending that IDIOT who STOPPED in the middle of the highway.

If a cop is coming, the point is to let them pass. If you have to pull over, pull over to the side. But don't stop on an interstate highway in the middle of the lane and cause a line of cars to slam on their brakes to keep from hitting you from the rear!!!

What a damn fool that guy was!! The accident would have been HIS fault for stopping without reason and causing a multi-car pile-up.

See what i mean about slower traffic causing collisions??

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #65

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon
Example:

Last night, around 9:30, i was traveling on a 4-lane, divided, limited access highway, like an interstate. Fairly busy traffic out of the city, moving along around 60-65 mph. Speed limit is 60 but most folks drive 65 or 70 on that highway. I was in the right lane with many cars. We were all moving along so there was plenty of room between cars, no tailgating. In my rear--view mirror I saw the lights of a police car pretty far back. Traffic moving smoothly.

It took the police car 15-20 seconds to get up to where I was. The police car was en route and driving in the left lane. Everyone was moving over to the right lane as he approached. I slowed down some as most of the cars did. But the traffic was moving and he had a clear lane, the left lane. So siren, just the lights.

Suddenly I looked up and the idiot car in front of me had almost stopped in the highway, dropped speed suddenly to around 40 mph. He didn't pull over to the side as he shouold, he just put on his brakes and slowed down in front of me.

I was not driving close to him, but I had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear-ending that IDIOT who STOPPED in the middle of the highway.

If a cop is coming, the point is to let them pass. If you have to pull over, pull over to the side. But don't stop on an interstate highway in the middle of the lane and cause a line of cars to slam on their brakes to keep from hitting you from the rear!!!

What a damn fool that guy was!! The accident would have been HIS fault for stopping without reason and causing a multi-car pile-up.

See what i mean about slower traffic causing collisions??

D*
Don, I certainly agree in that situation, and have witnessed the same thing MANY times. I don't know who it is that is teaching people to SLAM on their brakes when they see a police car, ambulance, or firetruck.... But I wish they'd use some common sense and just move over to let them by.

The main thing that concerns me is that it isn't always amgood idea to go with the flow when you are towing a trailer. It's all good until something like your story above happens. Other cars can slam on their brakes and swerve, but someone with a trailer in tow may not be able to react as quickly or as safely... Especially if they are already at or beyond the limits of their tires.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #66

New Brunswick
Quote:
Obstructing traffic IS breaking the law.

Speeding is breaking the law.

I suppose it is up to the officer to decide which is more dangerous at the time. The point is to keep traffic flowing safely. In the context of the traffic flowing safely together, even if faster than the speed limit, that is not as unsafe as one person obstructing traffic in that situation, causing people, often multiple cars, to change lanes to go around them. That is as dangerous as speeding in this context.

D*
There is no way the state would want a conviction of such a ticket in court. It would nullify the posted speed limit laws and open the state to liabilities from speed related accidents. No officer can force you to break the law and drive faster than the posted limit.
After 35 years in the trucking business I have seen just about everything. (Well, I still get surprised on occasion....). It's fair to say that most RV drivers pull trailers just a few times each year. (inexperienced). Many of the tow vehicles are great for their primary use but may not be ideal for towing the trailers hooked to them. I have seen too many rigs tearing down the highway with the trailer flapping around behind them and I've seen many accidents. "Judge, my client used to drive at the speed limit but he got a ticket for driving too slow and obstructing traffic. I think the state should be responsible for the personal and property loss..." Not gonna happen.
Barrie
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #67

Texas
Quote:
There is no way the state would want a conviction of such a ticket in court. It would nullify the posted speed limit laws and open the state to liabilities from speed related accidents. No officer can force you to break the law and drive faster than the posted limit.
Take your argument up with the state of California. It's their law!!

The point is not to break the law. If you are driving in the left lane and forcing the traffic flow to go around you on the right, forcing the traffic flow to pass you on the right, that is an obstruction of traffic. Nobody is forcing you to drive faster than the posted speed limit. Just get out of the way, move to the right where slower traffic is supposed to drive. What's the problem with that??

Ya know, in every single class of lawbreakers I had, people would argue about the law, but few even knew who their state representatives were who passed those very laws.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #68

New Brunswick
Post #62 "My comment assumes if you're driving at the speed limit, or below, and the traffic flow is moving faster than you, you're in the right lane."

Quote:
Take your argument up with the state of California. It's their law!!

The point is not to break the law. If you are driving in the left lane and forcing the traffic flow to go around you on the right, forcing the traffic flow to pass you on the right, that is an obstruction of traffic. Nobody is forcing you to drive faster than the posted speed limit. Just get out of the way, move to the right where slower traffic is supposed to drive. What's the problem with that??

Ya know, in every single class of lawbreakers I had, people would argue about the law, but few even knew who their state representatives were who passed those very laws.

D*
My earlier post, which you may have missed, certainly doesn't condone driving in the left lane and obstructing traffic but rather assumes driving in the right lane at the speed limit. If I'm driving in the right lane, at the speed limit, I won't be convicted of obstructing traffic. That doesn't mean a jealous officer might not issue a ticket. As a trained safety officer, you probably don't condone having an inexperienced tow vehicle operator driving above the speed limit and thereby creating a greater risk of an accident. Clearly I'm not going to convince you to change your speeding ways and you aren't going to convince me to speed above the posted limit. Enough said.
Barrie
Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #69

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
They have been known to do zero tolerance days around me 5 km over and a ticket. In short go over and they can make your life less fun that day. Like the trailer sticker with max 55 mph on it

Quote:
A very interesting discussion on driving styles. When driving on a multilane highway, without my Trillium, I set the cruise control at the speed limit. I stay to the right and, yes, I am regularly passed like I'm standing still. I don't consider driving at the speed limit irresponsible. I have encountered many speed traps where multiple police cars are situated in dips in the highway picking off speeders and rotating back to their original position when the tickets are written. I understand an increasing number of jurisdictions are relying on traffic fines to compliment their tax base... and that makes sense. If you increase local taxes you upset the locals. If you write speeding fines for transients passing through it's easy money.
When towing my Trillium, 55-60 mph works for me. If traffic becomes heavy it's usually a good time to pull into a rest stop for a nap or cup of coffee; I don't enjoy towing in heavy traffic any more than those drivers around me wanted to pass. In my 'pre egg' days, I too would get annoyed by 'slow driving' RV's. Yes, I passed them. If I was involved in an accident during one of these passes I would have blamed the $#@! RV. But... I would have been at fault both logically and legally. The posted speed 'limit' is the legal maximum. I have seen lots of examples of drivers being fined for exceeding the posted limit. I am not aware of any drivers being ticketed for driving 5-10 mph under the maximum for 'obstructing' traffic. (It may have happened but certainly the number, if any, would be a mere fraction of those ticketed for speeding)
Barrie
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #70

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
P.S. Other drivers will be unable to see around me safely on two lanes in most cases as the boler is 8' wide! Yet have been passed on a solid line and they need time to pass! These people will always be on the road until they get a ride in the special vehicle that will not be taking them home; just hope others do not suffer from their habits.