Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #101

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bronco 800/Trail-Lite 521
Arizona
Registry
Montana: I have not been to but with only 39 people in the whole state (almost) it should be safe traveling. I would suppose in those remote areas it is possible to have speeds that high, but why, in beautiful country like that
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #102

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. AZ
Montana: I have not been to but with only 39 people in the whole state (almost) it should be safe traveling. I would suppose in those remote areas it is possible to have speeds that high, but why, in beautiful country like that
Because your next door neighbor is 20 miles away.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #103

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Im not so sure about that.I traveled a number of 2 lane highways in Montana this summer that I assure you the speed limit was 75 mph. I recall it all to well as I was really suprised by it and actually asked a couple of the locals about it when I stopped for gas.
Also in Texas. Highway 380 between McKinney and Greenville is 70 mph. Two lane state highway. The original claim was just incorrect, that was all. There are plenty of two lane roads with higher speeds, regardless of the population.

The Don Pod
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #104

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tom,

How can anyone from Overgaard, AZ comment about the population density of MT? (LOL)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #105

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
55 to 65

My towing speed varies from 55 to 65, but I consider 60 my golden speed. I will admit to hitting 80 on one stretch in SD coming home from Backus with my new trailer . Man, they tow nicely

These days I'm pretty commited to not being in a hurry. I try not to hold people up though. I've done a lot of touring on motorcycles, and my heart always sank when an RV came into view. I understand and try to be a good guy. I never let anyone push me though.

David
Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #106

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
four way flashers

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!
My new tug - the 2006 Silverado - does NOT trigger the trailer brakes when I put the 4 way flashers on!

Just thot I'd mention it - I have now driven a tow vehicle that does NOT do that!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #107

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!
My new tug - the 2006 Silverado - does NOT trigger the trailer brakes when I put the 4 way flashers on!

Just thot I'd mention it - I have now driven a tow vehicle that does NOT do that!
and your point is?, I hope it is not the Darwin theory.
George.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #108

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
read the stuff earlier in this thread - I was having a bit of "disbelief" when folks said they put their 4-ways on if they had to tow slowly when going uphill - and I could not believe that it was possible to do that as my tug (and every one that I used, plus ones belonging to friends) applied the trailer brakes - HARD! - when brake lights came on - which were, of course, the same lights as came on with 4-ways. Hitting "4-way flashers" ALWAYS resulted in trailer brake applications!

(almost got into flame wars over that!)

So I thot I'd point out that THIS one doesn't do that!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #109

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL Dave glad you sorted it out I thought I was going to have to let you drive my car & trailer around the NOG so you could see for yourself that perhaps you assumption was not totally correct ;-))
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #110

Arizona
Registry
How about that, You are put on prior notice that there are vehicles traveling at a lower speed and whoa and be damned if the same people that don't travel at the posted speed limit or at a safe operating speed for the conditions(like towing a trailer) never pay attention , they are just hell bent on getting there so they can sit down, what's the hurry. With the current fuel price situation perhaps as suggested by all the studies, slowing down (even 10 MPH) does save fuel and a national speed limit of 55 mph will prevail again. What follows will be less accidents and more money in the coffers from fines to speeders. So let's slow down and enjoy what we all are setting out to do, Relax
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #111

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the pace of the old highways that parallel the interstates. Restaurants are often less expensive and it is easier to avoid the large restaurant chains. You can still, on occasion, support hometown retailers.
It has been said that, "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, you can now travel coast to coast, without ever seeing anything."
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #112

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As well very often gasoline is more expensive at interstate exits though as prices rise, a few pennies per gallon between stations is not critical.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #113

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As well very often gasoline is more expensive at interstate exits though as prices rise, a few pennies per gallon between stations is not critical.
Isn't it funny that we used to drive a few blocks to get it for $.36 instead of paying $.38.

The Don Pod
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #114

Arizona
Registry
hook it up correctly under dash

There are several connections at the brake light switch on the brake pedal. If the wrong one is used then the tailer brakes will function incorrectly. There is a brake light ONLY wire that is separate from 4 ways / ABS / and in the case of a pickup the high mount stop lamp. My Vehicle (GMC) has 6 wires connected to the brake switch and all perform a separate function for different systems.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #115

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh
I like the pace of the old highways that parallel the interstates. Restaurants are often less expensive and it is easier to avoid the large restaurant chains. You can still, on occasion, support hometown retailers.
It has been said that, "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, you can now travel coast to coast, without ever seeing anything."
Have you read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon? Since reading it 15 or so years ago I have happily avoided interstates when possible. Easier to do west of the mississippi than east though. Seen so much and met so many people I never would have met.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #116

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Isn't it funny that we used to drive a few blocks to get it for $.36 instead of paying $.38.
How true... I tow my trailer many thousands of miles each year. When I first hit the road a few years ago I used to check gas prices ahead of time on my planned route to determine where best to stop for the best price; not now. As I get older I have come to better realize the value of my time. If I'm going to pump 10 gallons at my next top up and there is $.05 difference... it's just 50 cents. I wouldn't cross the street to pick up 50 cents, why would I inconvenience myself at a possibly small and difficult to maneuver station for that? It's just not worth it to me.

However... I can easily save much more than 50 cents per top up by driving at a safe and reasonable speed.

Barrie
Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #117

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
No, but I will look for it. I do understand what you are saying about greater experiences available when traveling the byways rather than the highways.
I also found these experiences available when touring by bicycle and hitch hiking. My former wife and I hitch hiked cross country and back in the early seventies. Wow! I guess the only think I want to add about that trip was we experienced things our children of today's generation will never know (and many, we wouldn't want them to know).
Thank you for your tip on the book.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #118

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Since this old thread has come back to life, I'll throw a few thoughts in. Texas.....it's been years since I have driven down here. I seem to remember Texas from years past as being the wild west of fast driving. But this trip I'm on now ( been here in Texas for going on three weeks ) I'm finding that in general, traffic is not rolling at super high speeds. I like to tow at around 55 mph, and I'm finding while it's true that most traffic is catching and passing me, they are not zooming up on me and blowing by a huge difference. It actually seems most folks are running at or pretty close to the posted limits. It seems most two lane roads I've been on have a nice "full lane width" shoulder. Apparently it's considered normal here to move over onto the shoulder to let faster traffic pass. That is what I have been doing, and most folks ease on by, and give me a wave or flash of the lights as thanks, then ease off into the distance.
Even the miles of insterstate that I've traveled, the traffic seems to be running pretty close to the posted limits, and folks are simply being reasonable. One thing Teaxs drivers certainly understand well is that as they merge into traffic at the end of the on ramp, they are on the gas and moving....not hitting the brakes in a wimpy attempt at trying to figure out the merge !

I'm averaging right at 13mpg pulling my "not-a-FG-camper".

And I had almost forgotten how far it is between places here ! Enjoying wandreing around here and there. Had some really nice days camping in the hill country.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #119

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
"Blue Highways" by Least Heat Moon. I read it several years ago and enjoyed it a lot. My daughter-in-law HAD to read it as a college freshman and hated it. So, years later after she became my daughter-in-law, I gave her a copy for her birthday.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #120

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
<cut> How do I know the guy in front of me wasn't drunk and allowed his 11-year old boy to drive? How do I know the guy in front of me wasn't you in cahoots with the emergency vehicle testing me personally or testing a large sampling of drivers simultaneously? How do I know it wasn't Candid Camera?

Stopping abruptly in the middle of the lane is not appropriate action.
Actually in some states and provinces stopping in the middle of the lane is appropriate as it is the law. Trust me if you are ever driving in the middle of Portland or Vancouver and an emergency vehicle approaches from behind its a good bet the person in front of you will stop dead fast in the middle of the road.
Closed Thread