Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage?

There seems to be two factors in towing mpg, engine size and speed.

The high mileage tow vehicles tend to have 4 cylinder engines and drive in the 55 to 60 mph range. As well as posting our mpg we should post our typical tow speeds as Frederick did (11 mpg at 70, 16 at 55)

Our Honda's 23 mpg is at a typical 57 mph driving in 5th gear.

Norm
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There seems to be two factors in towing mpg, engine size and speed.

The high mileage tow vehicles tend to have 4 cylinder engines and drive in the 55 to 60 mph range. As well as posting our mpg we should post our typical tow speeds as Frederick did (11 mpg at 70, 16 at 55)

Our Honda's 23 mpg is at a typical 57 mph driving in 5th gear.

Norm
I'd like to know where you guys drive under 60 mph and not get run over or stop constantly at traffic lights. Aren't you afraid of getting rear-ended? I hope you are not those people that cause wrecks and traffic jams.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I'd like to know where you guys drive under 60 mph and not get run over or stop constantly at traffic lights. Aren't you afraid of getting rear-ended? I hope you are not those people that cause wrecks and traffic jams.
Chris, the highest speed limit in Oregon is 65 mph. Trucks travel the interstates at 55 mph. That doesn't mean folks don't go over the speed limit, there are certainly some idiot drivers out there.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chris, the highest speed limit in Oregon is 65 mph. Trucks travel the interstates at 55 mph. That doesn't mean folks don't go over the speed limit, there are certainly some idiot drivers out there.
When the national speed limit was 55MPH on the interstate highways, fewer than 10% of drivers drove less than 10 miles over the speed limit.
I feel safe at 60 on the interstate with my trailer only because the trailer acts as a big "slow-moving vehicle sign".
75MPH is the effective interstate speed limit, since at that speed, you will pass only once in every nine times you are passed .
You may get no argument from many, but by your criterion...90+% of drivers are idiots.
Of course no one here is one of them!

"Truck's travel the interstates at 55MPH"
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I am NOT afraid.

Quote:
I'd like to know where you guys drive under 60 mph and not get run over or stop constantly at traffic lights. Aren't you afraid of getting rear-ended?
I have not towed above 55 mph since July of 2005 when I calculated that 11 mpg at 70 mph. I tow on all Interstate Highways at 55 mph everywhere I go; even on I-20 in Texas, where the speed limit is 80. Speeders don't want to rear-end anyone any more than I want to be rear-ended; I am NOT afraid of it. Most Interstate Highways have at least 2 lanes in each direction. I stay in the farthest regular right lane (not counting transition lanes). Everyone goes around me no problem, for 6 years and counting... that big yellow-and-black "Caution" sign on the back of the trailer is visible from far behind giving them plenty of time to adjust.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Florida
Chris Z,

Generally I drive like Frederick. We stay to the right on Interstates and generally drive at 57 mph and not more than 60 mph.

We avoid Interstates except where we have to drive them in the Northeast. There are many parallel roads, like RT 17 in the south that parallels I-95. True there are lights in some towns on the way south but it's a truly pleasant road to drive and the stress level is a lot less.

In the west there is typically a lot less traffic, though sometimes faster than the east. We sometimes drive the western interstates though in the west there are also many interesting parallel roads like RT 2 in the northern tier of the country.

On the West coast we rarely drive I-5, prefering coastal 101, one of the nicest roads in the country.

Unlike many we're in no rush doing just 150 miles a day. If we're on a two lane road, we follow the Oregon rule, pull over if there's 5 cars behind you. For Semis and working people we'll pull over even sooner. We appreciate Oregon's frequent pull over lanes.

One other advantage we have is we're off season travelers with most of our road time between October and May.

We tend to be careful, hardly ever pass anyone and unlike my youth, give way at every opportunity.

Safe Travels,

Norm
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
For my 2001 Toyota Tundra 2wd 4.7L V8, towing 2000 17ft Burro, between 62-65mph, I get 14MPG. Not towing I get 19MPG if all highway.

Speaking of towing MPG and speeds... I recently took a trip through California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico. Pretty much everywhere all the big rigs drove around 60-65MPH. Except in Arizona, I practically had every big rig pass me going 70+MPH. I guess there's no separate big rig speed limit in Arizona?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When the national speed limit was 55MPH on the interstate highways, fewer than 10% of drivers drove less than 10 miles over the speed limit.
I feel safe at 60 on the interstate with my trailer only because the trailer acts as a big "slow-moving vehicle sign".
75MPH is the effective interstate speed limit, since at that speed, you will pass only once in every nine times you are passed .
You may get no argument from many, but by your criterion...90+% of drivers are idiots.
Of course no one here is one of them!

"Truck's travel the interstates at 55MPH"
Only in Oregon Floyd, where tourists and the like are unfamiliar with our slower speed here. That's fine, we'll gladly take their fine or bail money and add it to our General Fund when they're caught speeding. Remember, Oregonians are tree huggers and environmentalists, there has been many attempts to raise the speed limit on the interstates, and the voters always vote it down. Which is fine with me. I like towing at 55-57 mph... I get the best MPG going slower.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Here in Florida, and most of the South as far as I can tell, the speed limit is just a "suggestion." If you did less than 60 mph in a 70 mph zone you'd have the people behind you piled up and pissed off. I sometimes think that I'm the only person who keeps the speed down to 65 in our local 55 mph city interstate zones - even doing that, I'm usually the slowest person on the road. On our last trip to South Carolina while towing the EggCamper, I did keep my cruising speed down to 65 mph (because of the tire rating), and it wasn't too bad. A lot of the big-rigs seemed to stay at 65 (but many didn't); as long as I kept in the right lane I didn't feel uncomfortable at that speed - any slower and I would have. In cities I just go with the flow, even if it's 5-10 mph above the usual 55 mph posted speed. On our trip to Michigan three years ago and our trip to Colorado two years ago, we were really surprised by how people seemed to obey the speed limits. You must have police that actually enforce the laws up there!

Oh, BTW: With my 310 h.p., 4.6L V8 in my 2011 Toyota Tundra, (8200 lbs. tow rating), I average 14.5 mpg towing my 17' EggCamper at a steady 65 mph, a speed I maintain even on hills. I get 20 mpg when cruising at 70 - 75 mph with no camper. I thank the six speed transmission for the good gas mileage. It's just about exactly what I got in my old 2003 S-10 with the 190 h.p. 4.3 L V6, (5600 lbs tow rating) - but it had a four speed transmission. With the S-10 I had to really slow down on hills or drop into third gear and race the engine - neither of which I liked to do. I'm not someone who's comfortable with a line of traffic piling up behind me.

Oh, and like Donna, I don't tow all that much, I only put 3000 total miles on the S-10 the last year we had it because we have an economical sedan we use for most of our routine travels. However, this year we're putting a lot more mileage on the Tundra because whenever we go somewhere my wife says "let's take the truck." She loves the big beast! It's extremely comfortable and she likes being up high. Oh well, I enjoy it too.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Only in Oregon Floyd, where tourists and the like are unfamiliar with our slower speed here. That's fine, we'll gladly take their fine or bail money and add it to our General Fund when they're caught speeding. Remember, Oregonians are tree huggers and environmentalists, there has been many attempts to raise the speed limit on the interstates, and the voters always vote it down. Which is fine with me. I like towing at 55-57 mph... I get the best MPG going slower.
When I recently towed my Scamp through Oregon, the traffic passed us like we were sitting on jackstands, just like everywhere else, and that's in a state where they can't even pump their own gas!
I thought it was curious that you can pump your own diesel but not your own gas?? After spending 25 minutes waiting to fill-up and pay for gas, I'm guessing they needed to make-up for lost time?
New Jersey is the only other place in the U.S. of which I am aware with that silliness!
Regards;(me and my Scamp)
"Oregonians are tree huggers and environmentalists"
I guess that explains the Birkenstocks and the burnt lips.
But seriously the one's I met seemed sane and nice enough!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #11

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z
A lot of people say the same thing, but it is easy and safe to travel at these lower speeds. The fact is that higher speeds cause more accidents than lower speeds. People do look ahead of their cars... At least a few feet. They don't tend to just rear end people who are driving at or near the speed limit.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
A lot of people say the same thing, but it is easy and safe to travel at these lower speeds. The fact is that higher speeds cause more accidents than lower speeds. People do look ahead of their cars... At least a few feet. They don't tend to just rear end people who are driving at or near the speed limit.
Of course it is true that "speed kills," and vehicles going significantly faster than the flow of traffic are hazardous, but does anyone here know of a definitive study on vehicles going significantly slower than the speed limit? It seems logical that any disruption to the flow of traffic would be hazardous - perhaps more to those trying to pass them than to themselves in the case of slow-moving vehicles?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Ray, remember when interstate speed limit signs also posted a minimum speed limit? Whatever happened to that?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Of course it is true that "speed kills," and vehicles going significantly faster than the flow of traffic are hazardous, but does anyone here know of a definitive study on vehicles going significantly slower than the speed limit? It seems logical that any disruption to the flow of traffic would be hazardous - perhaps more to those trying to pass them than to themselves in the case of slow-moving vehicles?
I hope I didn't come off too strongly on this issue - I'm a little sensitive about it since my best friend (now deceased), was involved in a collision that put him, his wife, and his brother in the hospital; his brother's wife was killed in the collision. He was hit head-on by a vehicle from the oncoming side of the road. The car that hit him was trying to pass another vehicle. Who was at fault? Obviously the person who attempted the pass was at fault, but the fact remains that the collision wouldn't have happened in the first place if everyone was going with the flow of traffic. Maybe the slower vehicle was going with the flow and the passer was entirely at fault? I'll never know. But many times (okay, maybe only a time or two), I've been on a crowded road, going with the flow in a right lane, when suddenly the vehicle in front of me pulls out to the left and I have to brake hard in order to avoid rear-ending someone poking along - my view ahead having been obstructed by the large SUV or truck I was following. I probably would be the one legally responsible for any resulting collision in this case, but feel that the slow-moving vehicle would have been the real reason for any collision.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread and hope we can move on to "gas mileage" now that I've tried to explain my personal peeve on vehicles not going "with the flow."

Remember, everyone who goes faster than you is a crazy idiot, and everyone who goes slower than you is a doddering old fool - GO WITH THE FLOW!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #15

Florida
Speed Differentials

Seventeen (17) states have a significant speed differential between trailers and cars that is specified mandatory. These 17 states have a maximum towing speed limited to 55 mph and where cars are limited to 65-75 mph.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Seventeen (17) states have a significant speed differential between trailers and cars that is specified mandatory. These 17 states have a maximum towing speed limited to 55 mph and where cars are limited to 65-75 mph.
That's too bad. Making people become hazards to others. I'm glad the vast majority of states aren't so foolish.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have not towed above 55 mph since July of 2005 when I calculated that 11 mpg at 70 mph. I tow on all Interstate Highways at 55 mph everywhere I go; even on I-20 in Texas, where the speed limit is 80. Speeders don't want to rear-end anyone any more than I want to be rear-ended; I am NOT afraid of it. Most Interstate Highways have at least 2 lanes in each direction. I stay in the farthest regular right lane (not counting transition lanes). Everyone goes around me no problem, for 6 years and counting... that big yellow-and-black "Caution" sign on the back of the trailer is visible from far behind giving them plenty of time to adjust.
Isn't the far right lane the passing lane in TX?

John
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I would bet the vast majority restrict trailer towing to the same speed limit as the big trucks... humm I don't think that's a problem! YMMV
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Actually, unless more have changed, there are 13 of the lower 48 states which have a towing limit of 55MPH on the interstate , plus Alaska, Hawaii and DC.
"ILLannoy" raised it last year to 65MPH
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
The fact is that higher speeds cause more accidents than lower speeds.
Actually it is just the opposite. The number one cause of traffic collisions is traffic traveling too slow and obstructing traffic. All the traffic moving together at one speed is not so bad when they are moving together, no matter what the speed. A slower moving vehicle is an obstruction.

I used to be a licensed traffic safety instructor, licensed by the Texas Education Agency. So stay in the right lane when driving slow.

Don

The Don Pod
Closed Thread