Split from "1976 13' Scamp" For Sale by HustonFamily - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Split from "1976 13' Scamp" For Sale by HustonFamily

So happy for you, Jeff! Hope you told them about Fiberglass RV!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
I don't know what name he goes by (or perhaps he's a 'lurker')... but it sounds like he's already been on here.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: Lee Ann
Trailer: currently shopping
New Hampshire
Hi Jeff, Congratulations on the sale. My comment/question really relates to the fact that your photo shows you towing with an element. I have an '03 Pilot which I put a class 3 hitch on recently figuring that would be more than sufficient to tow the small 13' Casita I had found. Unfortunately right before I was due to go pick the camper up I spoke to a service guy at a Honda place and he told me that I should put on a trans cooler as well as a heavy duty power steering pump? I realize your Element is 3 yrs. newer of course but I would think if you towed with an Element no problem that my Pilot could do it. Guy told me the reason is because they had some issues with transmissions in my model year but I've owned it since new and have never had a problem. What do you think? Thanks, Lee Ann
Lee Ann P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
WHAT??? Isn't your Pilot rated to tow 4500-5000 pounds? What does it say on your specs?? (Maybe it's 3500) All I know is I have an Element, and decided to get something bigger so I can take all the heavy stuff I want. I got a Honda Ridgeline. But we were looking at the Pilots, too.

Maybe they did have problems with 2003 Pilot transmissions---that I don't know. But if I were you, I'd do some more investigating.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I agree with Vickie, in that research (specific to your exact vehicle) will be your friend here.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ann P. View Post
I have an '03 Pilot which I put a class 3 hitch on recently figuring that would be more than sufficient to tow the small 13' Casita I had found. Unfortunately right before I was due to go pick the camper up I spoke to a service guy at a Honda place and he told me that I should put on a trans cooler as well as a heavy duty power steering pump?
HONDA recommends ALL towing set-ups include transmission coolers and power steering coolers to meet the maximum tow rating, at least on the Odyssey, but I suspect they recommend the same for Pilots too. I hadn't heard about power steering pumps...

I highly recommend getting at least the extra transmission cooler on ANY tow vehicle, not just Hondas.

I have a 2003 Odyssey LX. Honda says that the cooler will not fix the weak transmission problems of that model year which they fixed for the '05s and newer. I had to replace my transmission at 98,000 miles for $5300.00 Since I did not have $30,000 (or the credit) for a new Odyssey, I replaced the transmission. I bought the van with a 15 year equity loan on my house, so I'll be driving it until 2018 at least.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I can see why some car makers recommend transmission coolers on all their tow vechiles but what was a little funny to me about the whole topic of coolers is that when I first purchased my Outback I took it in to get a cooler installed. The service manager informed me Subaru does not make transmission coolers and he personal did not think I need one. Go figure. Different makers different approach.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp