SPLIT: Tow Vehicle & Trailer combos - COMMENTS - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I wasn't suggesting that the data wasn't of value, but, that "as-is" it is incomplete and can be very misleading to the newbies.

It has also been mentioned in the past that some on this site are really only looking for justification of what they want to do based only on what others have done, be it right or wrong, a good or a bad idea.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would prefer anecdotal information over accurate information, especially when it comes to safety issues and published figures.

Right now the information is somewhat akin to a network TV reality shop and should be taken only as entertainment.

BTW: One would hope that we are not in the business of being an information source for advertisers. Hopefully they are smarter than that.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mike Magee,

Attached you will find a file of all the data to this post. I am willing to keep it up to date if you like. If not I will delete this post.
Just got in from work today. Norm, I think you are doing fine with it. Go right ahead. Other than the fact that you've added a couple more columns than I envisioned, and I was thinking of sorting vehicles alphabetically to make it easy to find a particular brand, your table is pretty much what I had in mind.

The other hope that I had was, perhaps a mod will have a way to insert it at the beginning of the thread, or some similar action to make the table easy to find.

Bob, accurate information can be difficult and expensive to obtain. Many forum members enjoy and appreciate anecdotal info. I've seen members post their wish that such info were collected in one place for easy perusal. Now those of us who want this, have it. If it will ease your mind, please treat this stuff as mere entertainment and frivolous fun; simply relax and enjoy... or if not your cup of tea, feel free to ignore the thread. I know I skip the threads that don't interest me.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #31

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I wasn't suggesting that the data wasn't of value, but, that "as-is" it is incomplete and can be very misleading to the newbies.

It has also been mentioned in the past that some on this site are really only looking for justification of what they want to do based only on what others have done, be it right or wrong, a good or a bad idea.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would prefer anecdotal information over accurate information, especially when it comes to safety issues and published figures.

Right now the information is somewhat akin to a network TV reality shop and should be taken only as entertainment.

BTW: One would hope that we are not in the business of being an information source for advertisers. Hopefully they are smarter than that.
Yesterday I went to the Lounge of the VR to Montreal (2015 Montreal's recreative vehicle show | RV Show Montreal) and on 10 contact I did not find staff who can answer me clearly on the real weight of caravans...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Real Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
(clip)"Bob, accurate information can be difficult and expensive to obtain. Many forum members enjoy and appreciate anecdotal info. I've seen members post their wish that such info were collected in one place for easy perusal. Now those of us who want this, have it. If it will ease your mind, please treat this stuff as mere entertainment and frivolous fun; simply relax and enjoy... or if not your cup of tea, feel free to ignore the thread. I know I skip the threads that don't interest me.
"

Somehow I don't see that anything posted on this site, especially posts that can pertain to basic safety issues, should be seen as "Frivolous Fun". If that's how it should be seen, then it should be in the Jokes and Tall Tales forum.

Furthermore, as everyone should already know the year make and model of their vehicle, and should want to know the vehicles towing limits as posted in every owners manual, I don't see and difficulty or expense in adding that information.

As far as trailer weight, that's something that most of us should do at least once when loaded, so as to be able to determine correct tongue weight. That's $10 at most scales on the next trip. Anything less than knowing that would be considered careless by most in the know about towing.

I personally would feel very bad were I to find out, say 5 years from now, that someone were to read erroneous information left behind on this thread and make a decision that would lead to accident or injury.

Perhaps what may be needed at a minimum is a disclaimer and a warning?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #33

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
All I know is that if you fill your propane tanks with Coca Cola you can tow well over the limit in your manual.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Somehow I don't see that anything posted on this site, especially posts that can pertain to basic safety issues, should be seen as "Frivolous Fun". If that's how it should be seen, then it should be in the Jokes and Tall Tales forum.
You're absolutely right, Bob, and when I used the word "entertainment" and the phrase "having fun" I really meant the kind of fun some people have that enjoy collecting and analyzing data. I admit to being one of them.

Safety is never a joke.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Speaking of funny

Quote:
"

Furthermore, as everyone should already know the year make and model of their vehicle, and should want to know the vehicles towing limits as posted in every owners manual, I don't see and difficulty or expense in adding that information.

As far as trailer weight, that's something that most of us should do at least once when loaded, so as to be able to determine correct tongue weight. That's $10 at most scales on the next trip. Anything less than knowing that would be considered careless by most in the know about towing.

I personally would feel very bad were I to find out, say 5 years from now, that someone were to read erroneous information left behind on this thread and make a decision that would lead to accident or injury.

Perhaps what may be needed at a minimum is a disclaimer and a warning?
I think it's amazing that a few of the same people can complain so heavily about this thread that simply relates the experience of actual users in terms of the tow vehicle used and the mpg achieved when the Trailer Weight section is loaded with "out of bounds values". There are trailers listed on trailers weights with tongue weights down to 5% or less. None of our avowed protectors ever mention that fact when mentioning the trailer weights.

Mike's thread is a harmless thread focusing on tow vehicle used and miles per gallon achieved.

The whole trailer weights section is devoid of even mentioning tow vehicles.

At least this list shows existing and new users what may work.

Mike,

I can eventually sort this list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #36

Oklahoma
Norm, thanks again. Glad for the help with the table. It's looking really good. Go ahead and run with it.

We now (hopefully) return everyone to their regularly scheduled program, "Tow Vehicle / Trailer Combos in the Real World."
Old 03-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #37

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Note to self
putting any info here will be of no use
Old 03-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
To get this thread back on track (sorta since neither of my trailers now are completely fiberglass) I have a Land Rover Defender that tows an Eriba Puck and a Land Rover LR3 that tows an Eriba Triton.

I've owned a Boler and a U-Haul that I towed with the Defender - mileage varied widely due to velocity and hills since it has the aerodynamic qualities of a barn. Anything over 60 mph just burned more fuel.

Cool towing combo, the Land Rover, similar to the Jeep Wrangler and FJ Cruiser are boxy and the mileage does suffer. Aerodynamics does come into play.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks Norm, my engine is the 5.7L Hemi with 8 speed auto trans and 3:21 rear
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #40

Oklahoma

Name:   popcorn.gif
Views: 91
Size:  6.6 KB
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer/Tow Vehicle Combinations

Latest update.

Interestingly most people drive 60 mph or less.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Vehicle-Trailer Stats1 - Sheet1 (6).pdf (41.6 KB, 4 views)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #42

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Nice worksheet, Norm. I like the thread and see it as useful in a general sense. We bought a used tow vehicle in January and it was pure agony. I looked through profiles here to just get an idea of what others were using, wrote that down and then went to the particular models that were in our areas that might be possibilities. There were different cylinders, different engine sizes and on top of that, the same model from year to year had different tow capacities, some were no longer considered towing capable, others only towed a decent amount with a tow package which included different things with different models/manufacturers and I learned one I was considering could not have a tow package added after purchase. It was very frustrating.

So, good thread for a starter but everyone needs to be able to size up their unique needs and check the manufacturer's website for their particular model making sure they look at the vital statistics, model, engine, cylinders, etc.

We have 1993 Ford Club Wagon, tow capacity 5,700 lbs and a 2008 Dodge Durange, tow capacity 6,700 lbs. We are currently "looking" seriously, finally, for a trailer. My motto is "No Boundaries". We have 3 adults, 2 large dogs and a guinea pig to haul.