SPLIT: Tow Vehicle & Trailer combos - COMMENTS - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer/Tow Vehicle Combinations

Latest update.

Interestingly most people drive 60 mph or less.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Vehicle-Trailer Stats1 - Sheet1 (6).pdf (41.6 KB, 4 views)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice worksheet, Norm. I like the thread and see it as useful in a general sense. We bought a used tow vehicle in January and it was pure agony. I looked through profiles here to just get an idea of what others were using, wrote that down and then went to the particular models that were in our areas that might be possibilities. There were different cylinders, different engine sizes and on top of that, the same model from year to year had different tow capacities, some were no longer considered towing capable, others only towed a decent amount with a tow package which included different things with different models/manufacturers and I learned one I was considering could not have a tow package added after purchase. It was very frustrating.

So, good thread for a starter but everyone needs to be able to size up their unique needs and check the manufacturer's website for their particular model making sure they look at the vital statistics, model, engine, cylinders, etc.

We have 1993 Ford Club Wagon, tow capacity 5,700 lbs and a 2008 Dodge Durange, tow capacity 6,700 lbs. We are currently "looking" seriously, finally, for a trailer. My motto is "No Boundaries". We have 3 adults, 2 large dogs and a guinea pig to haul.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #43

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
So, good thread for a starter but everyone needs to be able to size up their unique needs and check the manufacturer's website for their particular model making sure they look at the vital statistics, model, engine, cylinders, etc.

We have 1993 Ford Club Wagon, tow capacity 5,700 lbs and a 2008 Dodge Durange, tow capacity 6,700 lbs. We are currently "looking" seriously, finally, for a trailer. My motto is "No Boundaries". We have 3 adults, 2 large dogs and a guinea pig to haul.
Cathy, The list, as your writing suggests, is definitely not intended to be an end all. I believe it can serve as a starting point as it grows in length. It allows one to see what others are doing. In can serve to help one sharpen their view, for example I know just about everything there is to know about the tow vehicles I've used and willingly share that information with others.

I suspect others would be just as willing to share as I am.

It will get better with time. Two people have already added to their lines. As well I it may eventually get broader, containing more relevant information.

Now to 'no boundaries'. Most people have severe boundaries, often unrecognized by them. It's good to be conscious of one's personal boundaries.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #44
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Latest update.

Norm, the chart works great. Thnxs

PS... thnxs to Mike for starting this thoughtful thread.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #45

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I find it interesting that no one who has a Chevy TV has posted.

Tow Vehicle: 1996 Chevy Suburban 4X4 (Retired November 2014- 285,000 mi)
5.7 L V8
Trailer: 13' Trillium
Towing MPG: 12
Highway MPG: 15

New TV 2006 Chevy Trailblazer 4X4 - 4.2L I6
Haven't had a chance to get out with the new TV, but I hope the MPG is better.

Thanks for the list Norm. I find it very informative.

Spanke
Thanks for adding the Chevys, interesting that there's not a single Subaru, I thought a rather popular tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #46

Florida
Trailer and Tow Vehicle combinations

We now have a couple of Chevys but still no Subarus, diesel VWs or Corollas.The latest update is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Vehicle-Trailer Stats1 - Sheet1 (7).pdf (42.2 KB, 15 views)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #47

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Latest update.

We are not in hurry to get from point A to point B. We enjoy the drive and outstanding outdoor views. And I'm happy to save a buck or two on the fuel cost
Old 03-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #48

Florida
Sergey,

I agree. I like saving money but I love a slower pace.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #49

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Norm: It is about breaking the ties that bind me - no boundaries. A-liner used that slogan for a number of years. Personal boundaries is something entirely different from physical boundaries. And, your worksheet would have saved me a lot of time when I was doing research with our biggest problem being what is available in our area.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #50

Florida
Trailers and Tow Vehicle Combinations

Update - we now have our oldest tow vehicle, a 1976 Thunderbird with the biggest engine, 450 cubic inches, the engine may weigh more than the Trillium....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 AM   #51

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
What's interesting Norm, is that Tony is getting better tow mpg than a couple others listed so far.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 AM   #52

Name: Donna
Trailer: 13'Boler /17' Escape
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Update - we now have our oldest tow vehicle, a 1976 Thunderbird with the biggest engine, 450 cubic inches, the engine may weigh more than the Trillium....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml
For some reason could not access so here is my info:

2007 Ford Ranger 4 liter, V6 auto, pulling 13' Boler.

This is such a great idea!
ohmydog2dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #53

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Fuel mileage

I toe a 16 ft scamp with a 2002 Montana V6 ( forget engine size) I did a trip to Branson Missouri last spring about 2000 mi round trip. I calculated my mileage at just under 17 MPG CDN gal. Some stretches were 21 mpg Cdn and one stretch with a head wind dropped to 13 MPG Cdn. 90-95 kmh ie 55-60 mph was best over that I suffered. The van handled the tow very well. I have no need to improve on that.
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #54

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Intersting statistics here, the variable appears to be the ratio of weight towing and size of motor in tow vehicles. Some of the smaller engines pulling trailers lose more than a third of their mpg percentage when towing while the bigger engines lose less percentage wise.
Smaller engines can afford to loose more and still use less gas as long as it is not too small.

Weight is important for larger models but the air we push is a bigger factor for smaller or lighter units.

Hookup counts as well trailer brakes or not, WD system or not, or swaybar or not, full trailer package or not?

We loose a lot but still better millage than a lot of Trucks or SUV's not pulling and they loose mileage while pulling so much to consider. If you can and it sounds like it pick your dream camper and then pick the best TV for you to pull it with.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #55

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
We now have a couple of Chevys but still no Subarus, diesel VWs or Corollas.The latest update is attached.
We have a Corolla but with dealer installed full tow package so not quite standard,
and get 20 plus mpg when converted from L per 100 km to US gal.
Drive at 80 to 90 kph

Except in a good head wind then may want to stop and smell the roses ha ha
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While small engines do take a mileage hit, there is still the advantage that when unhooked, the mileage goes up more than most large displacement engines. I have towed my Escape 56,000 miles at 15MPG (US) but I have 104,000 miles on the RAV4 so close to half of my driving is at the higher 22-25MPG average. Since most of that unhooked driving is while on trips with the trailer, I can't complain. Now, if only they made the gas tank bigger!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #57

Ontario
Registry
My info is
Dealer tow package with upgrades

4 cyl Corolla, 2010, 1978 boler 17' model, empty 2190 lbs, tongue weight about 190 lbs pulls like a dream

Mileage exact not sure, will give exact this summer. Did work it out in past but do not know what happened to the sheet.

Tongue weight with propane tanks removed I can pick up and walk with it on flat surface.

Includes propane weight and fresh water weight not food bedding dishes etc these are extra
Ours is a little different than the ones from out west as it has a fiberglass floor for example. Hope they are similar.

Sticker on side weight includes options we do not have must have been one size fits all. We have a scale in town at the local recycle depot others can weigh theirs the same way?
Would we list special equipment like full size spare, hd alternator, hd brakes, extra safety systems, transaxle cooler, 7pin wiring, class III frame hitch, WD system, or just the basics as the rest may be too much for someone new to towing?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #58

Ontario
Registry
Jon Vermilye agree with you

1978 boler from Ontario, 2010 Corolla with full tow package, 4 cyl engine, 2190 lbs empty "does include fresh water and propane tanks full" tongue weight is very important if using a car or smaller TV

bedding, dishes, food, clothing extra,

Remove the propane tanks and I can pick up the tongue and move the trailer by my self on a smooth flat or hard surface. Wife guides as can not see where I am going. ha ha

hd brakes, hd rad, hd alternator, tansaxle cooler, 7 pin wiring upgraded module to unit with dedicated pwr wire, Class III frame hitch upgrade from CanAmRV in London, full size spare.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #59

Ontario
Registry
sorry for duplication having connection problems with internet?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #60

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Just a reminder, everyone please post your MPG figures and data in the other thread...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-68330.html
This is the thread for arguing, sniping, moaning... I mean, for comments!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote