Sporty Tug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Sporty Tug

I like to take my toys with me. In the past, with my truck camper, I've towed my m/c on a trailer with me. When I got to places with twisty roads, like Northern California, I'd off load the bike and go enjoy the twisty roads.

Now, with the Scamp, and the pretty wide spread prohibition on towing more than one trailer, I can't tow my little green fun car that I spent 3 years building.

But I got to thinking, since I'm the builder and wasn't required to declare a towing capacity for the structural enginerring inspection, that I can declare whatever towing capacity I want. After all, a tractor unit tows trailers many times heavier than it. So I'm going to call it my tractor. The trailer has great brakes, good enough to also stop the car, er, tractor if need be, after all it only weights 1260 lbs.

So I was happy to see when I went to hook up that the reinforced area for the spare tire almost matched the hitch height perfectly. Electrical wasn't an issue because it took me 3 months to wire the car and I know every wire by heart.

The aluminum tongue box matches the aluminum on the car. It should, it's probably left over pieces. I painted the car in my backyard spray booth. Maybe I should paint the Scamp to match. How sharp would that be.

The only negative is the car doesn't have a top. But the forecast for the next couple of days is for good weather so tomorrow it's off up the twisty Sea to Sky highway for a shakedown.
Attached Thumbnails
27-03-2013 1-33-46 PM  015_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Sweet, the car weighs 1260, or the scamp does? What's under the hood?
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ron in BC... That rig will get a sideways glance or two!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very cool!

If you tow with it, your insurance will be canceled, you will be sued and your hair will fall out.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Love conversation starters.

Great set up.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Awesome day for a Sea to Sky test drive. Hope the sun stays out in June as I am expecting to see this tow combo at the meet!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ron, Did you wait up till 12:30 am just to post on April 1st?
Nice car!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Very cool!

If you tow with it, your insurance will be canceled, you will be sued and your hair will fall out.
Yah, but I won't care because I'll have a huge smile on my face

Happy April Fools, hope everyone had as great a day as we did here in BC.

I did get to drive the little green car today, but sadly there wasn't any Scamp attached Beautiful sunnny day here, perfect for cars without tops.

The car is a hand built replica of an early Lotus 7. The engine is a Toyota 1600 twin cam. It weighs 1260 lbs. and goes like a rocket. I was going to paint it boring Lotus yellow/green but the more I looked at my Kasasaki green drill index the more I liked lime green. So I figured, what the heck, a fun color for a fun car.

Sorry Carol, the only way it would make it to the BC meet is if I make a 20' flat deck trailer and put the Scamp body on the front and car on the back. Hmm....
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sorry Carol, the only way it would make it to the BC meet is if I make a 20' flat deck trailer and put the Scamp body on the front and car on the back. Hmm....
Yup I had actually figured that out at the time the give away was not only the date but when you said that Sea to Sky was going to be your test drive route. Admit I was kind of hoped you really where going to do it as it would have made one of meet tasks - picking the cool tug of the year out - a lot easier. As you know we get way to many amazing tugs makes it hard to choose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote