Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
After reading the above post concerning the Maxxis tires I was intrigued - anything has to be better than Badyear Marathons!

So I went to the Maxxis website and looked 'em up

They, too, cannot be towed at the speed limit

Oh well - back to the drawing board
Well actually from the above post. Goodyear states:
"Industry standards dictate that ST tires are restricted to a speed of 65 mph unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the tire sidewall. If speeds from 66 to 75 mph are used, the tire cold inflation pressure can be increased by 10 psi without any increase in load." (Same thing Maxxis told me, wheel pressure maximum rating must be considered if over inflating the tires to run at higher speed).

Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
All ST tires are labeled for 65MPH...
Bureaucrats always have your best interest at h...never mind!

Yup - but the Kumho 857's are "recommended for trailer service" and (thankfully) are NOT ST tires - they are recommended for trailers and have a Q speed rating - approx 100 mph. Price is remarkably similar to the ST tires I boiught a month or two ago before finding about the Kumho's

Ditto the Hankook RA808's as I was just reminded

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #17

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Yup - but the Kumho 857's are "recommended for trailer service" and (thankfully) are NOT ST tires - they are recommended for trailers and have a Q speed rating - approx 100 mph. Price is remarkably similar to the ST tires I boiught a month or two ago before finding about the Kumho's

Ditto the Hankook RA808's as I was just reminded
True about the Kumho, and further, if you look at their 'worldwide' site, they are actually marketed as either a light truck tire or for trailer use. The USA site markets them as a trailer tire, I suspect because they have other models of tires they market for light trucks.
In general, light truck tires are built much more 'sturdy' (stiffer is part of that ), and are designed to carry higher loads with less heat build up. In other words....just what we need on a trailer. Imagine that.

If you go hang out for a while on the Airstream forum, you will find numerous references by guys who have switched from "ST" to "LT" tires, and I cannot recall seeing anybody saying they regretted it. Also, every thread and post I could find on it they said that the switch eliminated their tire problems.

.....just sayin'......
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Too bad they only start at 14"

Taken from the site:
Kumho*Radial 857
The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
or Maxxis UE 168
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #20

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Too bad they only start at 14"

Taken from the site:
Kumho*Radial 857
The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.
....yes, and the plot thickens....from their international site, the call it for "SUV and Van"

http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_d...03008000000000
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

If you go hang out for a while on the Airstream forum, you will find numerous references by guys who have switched from "ST" to "LT" tires, and I cannot recall seeing anybody saying they regretted it. Also, every thread and post I could find on it they said that the switch eliminated their tire problems.

.....just sayin'......
I have been reading the same posts for years. Most also refer to the owner going to a higher load rating tire after a failure with the OEM's marginal load rated tire. My contention that the load rating of the tire needs to be substantially above the trailer gross weight.( The loads encountered by a trailer bouncing up and down the road with harsh suspensions greatly exceed the static load on the trailer at rest, also "In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.")

I have no doubt from all the history that an LT tire with the proper load rating would work for a trailer but I believe an ST tire with the right load rating is a better design for my needs.

Tire manufacturers maintain that the stiffer sidewalls of ST tires and their tread depth help them run cooler in a trailer environment.

Always an interesting discussion........
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:

Often the cars just got unloaded and parked in the back yard "til next year" with the occassional move into the shop for an update/refresh and then it gets pushed back outta the way back into the yard again, maybe with a cover on it.
Dave makes a good point.

This rod was completed in the late 80's at which time the set of P Michelin tires were installed. The vehicle now has 46,000 miles on it to date. The rod gets driven about 15 times a year. Stored in a garage with cement floor the rest of the time.

The rear tires are originals!!! The fronts were replaced 10 years ago because of an on going balance issue (a fault which was there since they were new).

Note. As a former employee of two major tire companies I would not suggest using tires for this many years but it does show what a quality tire is capable of.
Attached Thumbnails
34 ford gary.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Interesting note from an equipment hauler I know. He claims truck/car tires are "legal" on trailer according to the DOT rules but ST can not be put on a passenger vehicle.

I totally agree with the idea of giving yourself some extra wiggle room in the load range. If the tire will lose 1/3 of it's strength in three years having a tire able to go 50% over actual load means your still probably fine for an additional year or two.

As long as the extra 50% does not drive up the cost per/year to a point that it's not economical.

Appreciate all the good info in the OP.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
20/20 did a news story in regards to tires becoming dangerous with age - the story was in regards to passenger car tires.

The video is here
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
MC1

Ontario
That is an interesting 20/20 story. I am not surprised Sears was found out trying to sell "new", 12 year old tires. Of all the retailers I have ever delt with Sears gets the lowest rating. Considering my many bad experiances with Sears I avoid their stores.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
That is an interesting 20/20 story. I am not surprised Sears was found out trying to sell "new", 12 year old tires. Of all the retailers I have ever delt with Sears gets the lowest rating. Considering my many bad experiances with Sears I avoid their stores.
Do you avoid K-Mart, The parent company?
With any large company today, you can't really agree with all of their policies... the best you can hope for is consistency. Caveat Emptor applies more today than ever.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #27

Name: Darrell
Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
British Columbia
In the last two years I've towed thousands of miles on 20-year-old passenger radials through desert heat and over deteriorated freeways. Visually, those tires looked fine- but the spare was petrified.

I guess I was lucky not to have any failures...but they've since been replaced with STs.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Re old tires and Sears:

When we first bought our Airstream and got it home I had a a real close look at the tires. They looked good on the sidewall and had lots of tread but in between the treads there were deep cracks that ran the circumference of the tire. They were Sears tires so took a tire to the Sears auto centre for replacement. The tire rep/manager looked at the tire and commented that they were 13 years old. He said that I could probably get another year or two out of them because they were on a trailer.

Being from the tire industry I new better and ordered a new set of tires.

Sears and bad advice. There ya go