ST Tire Life - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #29

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Removed the spare trailer tire recently and discovered what the PO had on there. Behind where it could not be seen were deep cracks and a horrid sidewall puncture in a passenger car tire. Not sure what possessed them to think that they could count on this tire even getting to the next tire shop. So yesterday I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a Carlisle ST20575R14. Only took them 3 hours to install it on the spare I brought into them. I was so pleased with the prompt service. The difference between the passenger car tire and the ST is obvious with the much higher load rating, stiffer sidewall and less rolling resistance. Light truck tires would be acceptable but they do not come in 14" . Sunlight is a big factor in how long a tire will last. My spare was without a cover as well. I keep the ST's on the trailer covered with white tire covers while stored at home. I would expect at least 5 years service from ST tires in moderate use and depending on other factors maybe a few years beyond that. The tire industry would just love to have government mandate that everyone be required to buy new tires at some arbitrary date.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
The tire industry would just love to have government mandate that everyone be required to buy new tires at some arbitrary date.
Yes, I would like to have stock in the tire companies if that were to ever happen. What a gold mine.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #31

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=Rene;318641 I would expect at least 5 years service from ST tires in moderate use and depending on other factors maybe a few years beyond that. [/QUOTE]

Hope it works, but based on my experience with my last pair of ST tires I would not count on it. Looked good and lots of tread left until the day they started to come undone at just under 4 years of age. The trailer is stowed under cover so a wet environment probable wasnt a factor in their short life span.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hope it works, but based on my experience with my last pair of ST tires I would not count on it. Looked good and lots of tread left until the day they started to come undone at just under 4 years of age. The trailer is stowed under cover so a wet environment probable wasnt a factor in their short life span.
So... just how could they have "looked good" they didn't even have eyes!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #33

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Well the rubber meets the road again!!! I just retired "Our Escape Hatch" July '07 Marathons with another set of...you guessed it Marathons. If it works don't try and fix it.
You can't buy peace of mind towing...but you sure can look for it.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
new rims& tires.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
LOL it was because one of them started to look like it was growing an eye
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They may have "looked good" - but not "looked very well"!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #36

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Recently after getting back from a 2400 km trip with the trailer I got under to inspect the tires. I am not sure if I looked good the last time I checked because now the tires do not look well at all! The tread has big cracks all around the tire and the inside edge of one tire is badly worn (no tread). Then I decided to decode the manufacturing date Last 3 digits 048 a pre 2000 tire code. Looks like it was made 4th week of 1998 and yet the sidewalls still look great. Needless to say it was a good thing I had replaced my spare with a new ST before I left and I had roadside assistance protection. 14 years and still rollin' ?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Use it or...

(2) Trailer tires (and RVs tires in general) do not get regular use (exercise). Instead, they sit around getting stiff and flat on one side and the anti-aging chemicals in the rubber do not get spread around. Then they get taken out on the highway and run hard and hot on the highway, usually in hot summer weather. And sometimes on rugged roads too (campground access roads). This is the worst style of usage for a tire, according to tire manufacturers, and leads to a failure rate greater than average for all tires. Some people also feel that long exposure to sun (UV damage) and contact with the ground or concrete will also cause tire damage while it sits. I don't see any meaningful difference vs passengers cars, though, and they routinely last 4-5 years or more.

We've had Goodyear Marathons for 5 years, now on our second set. We have had no failures. The above posted information indicates part of the reason our Marathons have worked well for us.

Part of the reason could be... lots of tire exercise.

Our Marathons rarely sit for long. The set we have now are a year old and have been rolling for probably 300 out of last 365 days. In general we're on the road over 200 days a year.

As well tires "run hard and hot on the highway, usually in hot summer weather" are more prone to failure. In general our tires don't get too hot.

Heat is generated by tire flexure. As tires roll, the tires continual goes from flat (contact with the road) to round. The faster you drive the more flexures per unit of time and the higher the tire temperature. We are typically driving at speeds under 60 mph.

The amount of tire flexure is also related to tire pressure and trailer weight. We try to keep our trailer light, 2200 lbs on the axle and tire pressures set to maximum.

As well, we tend to drive between 8 AM and 1 PM, the cooler portion of the day, rarely going more than 150 miles in a day. Over the last 3 months we have only driven 150 miles once, often moving 30-50 miles between camp sites.

Lastly in our travels we rarely drive in hot weather, minimizing our travels during the summer months unless we're going North for a summer trip.

Like some on the site we have pressure and temperature transmitters on our trailer tires.

Our experience. Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
If you travel like Norm and Ginny above you will probably never have tire trouble. If you are like me, and want to go at least close to the speed limit, is when you will have problems with ST tires. I just had one explode on I-40 that had maybe 4000 miles on it and was less than three months old, Goodyear Marathon. These tires were well within the weight limits of my trailer and inflated to 65psi. I was doing 65-70mph. The speed limit was 75mph. The temperature was 102 degrees. Luckily there was no residual damage to the trailer and I was even able to use the wheel.

My feeling, and that of many others on other forums, is that if you can go to a 16 inch wheel and put a tire like the Michelin LTX on it, you will be much safer and also be able to go just about any speed you feel is safe. These are high load, 10 ply tires. You can order these in 15 inch size as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #39

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Unfortunately the narrowest LTX tire in 15" is 215. I can't fit them under the fender skirt of my Scamp. Those with open wheel wells will have better luck.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
An Oregonian?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #41

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Stop it both of you!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As a result of Byron and BC Dave inability to see eye to eye, this thread is being closed.