Subaru 2015 Outback 4 cyl. TV - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #29

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Some do see reality.
..............and you can fool anyone who is intent on being fooled.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I'm wondering Norm, why you adhere to the 50 PSI rim rating for your trailer? ( see posts in Scamp 13" Tires thread ).

Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm wondering Norm, why you adhere to the 50 PSI rim rating for your trailer? ( see posts in Scamp 13" Tires thread ).
The trailer weighs has about 2400 pounds on the axle, ideally 1200 pounds per tire. I inflate the tires so their capacity exceeds their load.

As well I want the sidewalls to be stiff so side motion of the trailer does not cause the wheel to begin to roll on its sidewall. (Similarly I highly inflate the tow vehicle tires for stiff sidewalls.)

As you drive down the road, though the loading may be even on the flat, roads are uneven and the loading on individual tires increase and decrease as you drive.

We're relatively protective our tires. Tire heating is related to number of revolutions per minute. We're generally drive 55 mph except on Interstates.

We're also early morning drivers. Tomorrow when we leave on a trip we'll leave early, by 8 AM, escaping the high heat of the day.

As well we have wireless temperature and pressure sensors on our tires. Though we're sometimes considered to be 'road dangerous' towing with our CRV we do a lot of monitoring of our trailer while we drive.

As we drive from climate to climate, leaving the cold northeast, we adjust our pressures always carrying a small compressor. We regularly retorque our tire lug nuts.

It all may seem silly to some but we tend towards the cautious side.

I know stiffer tires may result in a rougher ride, we have driven some extremely. long rough roads, we're not back there, we slow down on rough roads and we have latches on most cabinet doors, nothing falls out.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #32

Name: paul
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Great looking setup !!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The CVT has an interesting history and is quite reliable, having been around since 1958. Learned about them in mechanical engineering classes. Fun writeup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Glenn,

I guess I misread your post on tire pressure.

Were you wondering why I follow the rim pressure rating and do not the manufacture's tow ratings?

As to the rim pressure, the number is also the max normal pressure for the tires. (I do realize there is some bulletin that the tires can go to hire pressure for higher speeds. We don't do higher speeds.)

My conclusion is that the primary structure of the vehicles are the same. Tire's may be different, some suspension members may be different, but the structure, the transmissions and the engines are virtually identical. It bothers me that the European rating for our former CRV is more than twice what it is the North America. In NA the rating is the same as for an unbraked trailer in Europe.

I'm not one to live by unfair rules.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote