Subaru continuously variable transmission - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
...transmission and engine. My Subaru dealers, who've been great friends and mentors to me over the 15 years I've owned Outbacks, have been very frank in cautioning me to sell a 16' Scamp that I initially purchased (it was advertised as a 13' Scamp AND what did I know?!!!). Even though it was within the tow capacity (Barely) of my 4 cyl Outback, they said I would burn up the engine and wreck the transmission EARLIER than by towing a 13'er. There is no reason to put more wear and tear on your TOW VEHICLE, it's ahell of a lot more expensive than your trailer and YOU want it to last 'orever' (aka: at least 300,000 miles!).

Time always tells...as well as whether you're going up mountains or are always in Texas on the straight-away!
See you in two weeks...let's both drive safe...keep those Subaru's going as long as possible!
Yup it is a bit of a worry but I am in the 5th year of towing with this one and it hasnt had any issues at all. As you know I dont live in Texas! Actually live on the side of a ski hill.

Actually just had it in for a complete check over today before the trip and Im told it all good to go. I have actually had 2 Subaru's previously and I did have a small issue with my last Outback -it had a quirky transmission issue from day one -I never towed with it - Subaru never did sort what the issue was but I did read I was not the only one that had that complant with that model year. What ever it was Subaru did not see it as a serious problem (but I noted they did seem to fix it in the next model year) but I know I would not have felt comfortable towing with the old one due to that little issue. My service manager tows with his Outback and he doesnt seem worried about it- claims its all good. I agree though that towing will shorting its life but so far no sign of that. I do try and be nice to it on big hills though. :-) Have started to look around at other options and retire this one in the not to distrant future to city driving. Only problem is I really like the all round Subaru -great on the ski hills and good for parking in the city -loads of storage space - hard to find someting to switch to that covers it all. See you - at Bandon - drive safe!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #16

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton
I have always been an advocate of being cautious of new technology. CVT works on the same principle as a golf cart transmission only larger. You might deduce that they are only being used on small cars with small engines for a reason.
Two things:

1) Subaru has been using CVT transmissions since 1987. This technology is not as new as many people think.

2) the outback is a midsize car. It is about 3,500 pounds and carries a 2,700 pound tow rating.

This may just be my opinion, but a 170 horsepower engine isn't exactly small. More horsepower and torque than any other car I have owned, including an S class Mercedes.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Jesse, you correct CVT has been around for awhile and as I understand it there are many different versions of CVT. The Subaru's horsepower is also a big part of why it is a good tow for our small eggs.

Its important to note though that not all the Outback models have the same transmission. My 2007 Outback has the 5EAT Five Speed w/sport shift which they started using in 03 and its based on the JR507E transmission. The conventional automatic transmission was used only the Flat 5 engine, and the 6-speed manual transmission but it was not used on the 2.5i Limited. They did change in 2009 to a Lineartronic CVT for their 2.5 i flat 4 engines only - that transmission can be switched to manually controlled by the driver to select 6 different "virtual" gears, where the transmission will hold a particular ratio.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Flat 5cyl ???
Virtual gears? I knew the new cars were getting closer every year to being video games with wheels.
If you wreck it how many "lives" do you get?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #19

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H
Jesse, you correct CVT has been around for awhile and as I understand it there are many different versions of CVT. The Subaru's horsepower is also a big part of why it is a good tow for our small eggs.

Its important to note though that not all the Outback models have the same transmission. My 2007 Outback has the 5EAT Five Speed w/sport shift which they started using in 03 and its based on the JR507E transmission. The conventional automatic transmission was used only the Flat 5 engine, and the 6-speed manual transmission but it was not used on the 2.5i Limited. They did change in 2009 to a Lineartronic CVT for their 2.5 i flat 4 engines only - that transmission can be switched to manually controlled by the driver to select 6 different "virtual" gears, where the transmission will hold a particular ratio.
It is a very nice transmission,,, though I don't have many miles on it yet. I haven't towed with it yet, but I have a class III Curt hitch on the way to me now.

These cars are meant to tow -- they are even prewired for trailer lights. I wish they were prewired for brakes, too... But it doesn't appear to be.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
It is a very nice transmission,,, though I don't have many miles on it yet. I haven't towed with it yet, but I have a class III Curt hitch on the way to me now.

These cars are meant to tow -- they are even prewired for trailer lights. I wish they were prewired for brakes, too... But it doesn't appear to be.
We are giving consideration to a Subaru as our next TV, so I have been poking around the Subaru forums. It appears finding a hole in the firewall for the controller wires is a bit of a challenge as is finding a place to mount the controller. Since towing anything over 1000 lbs requires brakes, you have to wonder why the wiring isn't there? Let us know how the install goes and good luck on the new TV. Raz
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We are giving consideration to a Subaru as our next TV, so I have been poking around the Subaru forums. It appears finding a hole in the firewall for the controller wires is a bit of a challenge as is finding a place to mount the controller. Since towing anything over 1000 lbs requires brakes, you have to wonder why the wiring isn't there? Let us know how the install goes and good luck on the new TV. Raz
This is the issue I encountered while contemplating purchasing a cvt subaru. No one at the dealer had installed a brake controller, trailer wiring nor trans cooler and I was told that if it were done elsewhere my warranty would be void. The 200 lb t/w is another critical point, buy yourself a Sherline t/w scale, my trailer is a whopping 375 lbs. I contact Subaru America but could not obtain any information. So I went on to another tow vehicle that advertises it's towing capacity and already had factory wiring and hitch.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008

This is the issue I encountered while contemplating purchasing a cvt subaru. No one at the dealer had installed a brake controller, trailer wiring nor trans cooler and I was told that if it were done elsewhere my warranty would be void. The 200 lb t/w is another critical point, buy yourself a Sherline t/w scale, my trailer is a whopping 375 lbs. I contact Subaru America but could not obtain any information. So I went on to another tow vehicle that advertises it's towing capacity and already had factory wiring and hitch.
You need to get away from that dealership. They CAN'T void your warranty for having things like that installed. Check out the Magnuson Moss act. They can only deny a warranty claim after proving that the aftermarket part in question caused the damage. Also, at least here in Maryland, Subaru goes through 3rd party arbitration for warranty disputes. Everything is on your side, legally speaking.

Subaru does advertise it's towing capacity. The Outback is 2700/200. Too low for your heavy tongue.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #23

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
OB Curt Hitch

Jesse
I recently installed a Curt Hitch on my 2011 OB. The instructions tell you to drill extra holes in the bottom of the frame tube to insert the bolts into the frame tube. You can take the back bumper off and insert the bolts without drilling any extra holes in your frame. Also if you raise your spare tire cover there are two holes covered in tape directly over your rear hitch mounting bolt holes. I enlarged these holes and instaled the bolts through these holes, this worked out much better for me. To enlarge the holes I used a step bit from Harbour Freight.
My trailer wiring plug was burried under the left rear wheel well cover. I had to remove the spare cover and floor panel in front of it to dig out the plug. The floor panels are held in with plastic buttons, I carefully pried mine out and was able to reuse them.
Any questions send me a PM with phone number And I will call you back.
Do you know about the $150 rebate on the Subie roof rack?
Eddie
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
How about this ...

A 2000 Metro and a 17' Casita .... NO !

A 2002 PT Cruiser & 17' Casita .... Uh, NO

A 1984 Datsun 4 cylinder P/U and 17' Casita ....only to move it in the driveway.
Just for clarity, this is not me or my PT Cruiser! Terry
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #25

Maryland
Wow, thanks for the info! I may pull the bumper and not enlarge the other holes. Good to know. My hitch and wiring converter should be here Friday. I will probably install them that night, as long as I have access to my father's lift.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #26

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Wow, thanks for the info! I may pull the bumper and not enlarge the other holes. Good to know. My hitch and wiring converter should be here Friday. I will probably install them that night, as long as I have access to my father's lift.
You can check the Subaru Outback forums for some good installation tips, and frequently some good photos. I went there when I installed my hitch and also when I added a transmission cooler to my 08 Outback.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The wiring for the lights is there but not the brakes. My controller was mounted to the left of the steering well and slight down on the fuse box cover that is located just above the hood release latch. The theory behind mounting it there was I can replace the fuse box cover that the holes were drilled through to mount the controller pretty easy when I sell the car and the new owner will not have any holes in the dash to worry about. Thre was also a spot just behind that area that the wires where put through the firewall.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They did not do brake controllers at my dealer either but they did point out that all the trailer wiring is factory pre done and showed me where the plug was under the spare tire cover and indicated that all that was needed was the plug in harness to it which who ever installed the hitch would be able to do easy and it was. they indicated they could do the hitch and wiring if I wanted but it was cheaper to go elsewhere. Re the trans cooler they also indicated that Subaru does not make them as if you towed within their specs they did not feel it wasnt really necessary. I have towed for 5 years without one but if I spent a lot more trips into the mountains or in higher temps than I do then I would probable add one.

Agree the tongue weight limit on the Subaru is a challenge and I am usually between 20-40lbs over on that no matter how carefull I stow the trailer.