Subaru Forrester with Team Trillium Outback - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Trillium Outback / 2007 Toyota Tacoma
Hello All....We are considering the purchase of a new 13 ft Outback from Team Trillium Manufacturing in Calgary Alberta. Without water, grub etc. the basic weight with an awning is about 1425 pounds. The weight and specs are well within Forrester specs & we will order the trailer with brakes. Main concern is whether the Forrester, 2.5 ltr, will be able to do the job. We live in hill country so there will be lots of ups and downs.

As well I haven't been able to track down any user comments on the 13ft Outback. Supposedly several changes from the original Trillium.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated......Thanks

Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Hi Brian! Welcome to FiberglassRV!

Caveat #1: I have neither a 13' trailer nor a Subaru Forrester. I have had a couple of 13'ers tho...

That said, we have had a number of members successfully dragging various 13' fiberglass trailers around the world with various Subaru wagons. They seem to be well matched.

Roger

Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Hi Brian
I just completed a trip to the west coast with my 97 Subaru Forester 2.0 litre pulling my Surfside 14, which weighs at least 1600 pounds dry. There were few times that steep hills slowed us under the speed limit. I am a flat-lander, but I was very happy with the performance. Newer Foresters have larger engines, so it should be just fine.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #4

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
We also have a Triple E Surfside TM 14 and tow with a Subaru Outback 2001 with the 2.5L non-turbo.

Did Ottawa to Colorado last summer 9,000km and Ottawa to Newfoundland this summer 5,000km. Weight specs would be very similar to you Trillium Outback. We had no trouble on either trip. The trailer doesn't overpower the car (push it around), and with electric brakes you can slow the whole train down fairly reasonably. You want to carefully plan a pass however as there isn't a lot of instant acceleration. Mileage (not outstanding to begin with) is brought way down - especially if you go faster than 100-110kph. But I would say it is a fine tow car for this class even if sometimes I'd like to have another litre at my right foot.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Ontario
Quote:
Hello All....We are considering the purchase of a new 13 ft Outback from Team Trillium Manufacturing in Calgary Alberta. Without water, grub etc. the basic weight with an awning is about 1425 pounds. The weight and specs are well within Forrester specs & we will order the trailer with brakes. Main concern is whether the Forrester, 2.5 ltr, will be able to do the job. We live in hill country so there will be lots of ups and downs.

As well I haven't been able to track down any user comments on the 13ft Outback. Supposedly several changes from the original Trillium.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated......Thanks
Hi Brian
You have excellant taste...a 13ft Trillium Outback, and a Subaru Forester tow !!!
We have an '01 Forester,2.5 litre with which we tow our '73 Trillium 1300; no electric brakes, but that was not by choice...that's how we bought it 2 yrs ago.There's adequate power towing, and adequate stopping power, if you are cautious and plan ahead for impending traffic lights,etc
On a camping trip to a Prov Park near Parry Sound last Fall, about 450 km round trip, we managed a calculated 25 mpg ...not too shabby, considering the hilly terrain encountered; normal hwy mileage is around 32-36 mpg
BTW...manual says trailer tow capacity is 2000#

Joe/Peterborough
Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Trillium Outback / 2007 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks for the replies to my question about a Forester and Trillium Otuback. Just to prove I was paying attention to your comments we placed the order today. How's that for a vote of confidence eh !
Thanks again.........Brian T
Old 09-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
We had a Subaru Legacy that towed our Trillium 4500. That combo took us up the Alaska Highway and home via the Cassiar. 4,500 miles in all and not a lick of trouble with the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
BB___stitched.JPG  
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #8

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
would an Outback tow your Outback?

Oh, THAT could get confusing..
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #9

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
would an Outback tow your Outback?

Oh, THAT could get confusing..
I love it. I plan to tow my 77 Surfside with my 05 Honda Element. I'd love to find a Fiberglass RV called the Element or better yet, I am dreaming of starting my own 14 foot trailer company - obviously call them the Element Eggs. 14 feet, basic kitchen, no bathroom (is it really necessary? you can always use a port-a-potti) and a few other nice touches.

I think the key would be to keep it under 1500 lbs dry weight and tall enough for most people to stand in. AND without forgetting to keep the price low enough for people to afford it. Seriously less then 10 grand. More like the $5000 range. Wonder if it could be done?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I think the key would be to keep it under 1500 lbs dry weight and tall enough for most people to stand in. AND without forgetting to keep the price low enough for people to afford it. Seriously less then 10 grand. More like the $5000 range. Wonder if it could be done?
I think the weight is reasonable with basic equipment. The cost, on the other hand, seems unlikely; a well-constructed cargo trailer of that size with a moulded fiberglass shell (e.g. the Shuttle 2000-S6 <strike>14'</strike> 12') is most of that price, with no interior at all. Nice thought, though...

Edit note: The equivalent cargo trailer would be a 12-foot model, as measured by body length, to match a 14-foot (coupler-to-bumper) travel trailer. The Shuttle 200-S6 is a single-axle trailer with a 6-foot wide body, a bit narrower than the typical 6'8" wide narrow-body egg.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #11

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
I think the weight is reasonable with basic equipment. The cost, on the other hand, seems unlikely; a well-constructed cargo trailer of that size with a moulded fiberglass shell (e.g. the Shuttle 2000-S6 <strike>14'</strike> 12') is most of that price, with no interior at all. Nice thought, though...

Edit note: The equivalent cargo trailer would be a 12-foot model, as measured by body length, to match a 14-foot (coupler-to-bumper) travel trailer. The Shuttle 200-S6 is a single-axle trailer with a 6-foot wide body, a bit narrower than the typical 6'8" wide narrow-body egg.
well, I guess I was dreaming with the cost of things. However, once you've paid the big money for the fiberglass mold you could eventually bring the cost down ? maybe ?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Quote:
well, I guess I was dreaming with the cost of things. However, once you've paid the big money for the fiberglass mold you could eventually bring the cost down ? maybe ?

There is a guy that has a camping pod company that is already using this idea. It is the Rally Master.

Basically, you purchase your own trailer frame and then add the empty pod. Outfit it as you see fit. Can't remember the price but I thought it was about $4-5,000 for just the empty pod.

It is a wonderful idea since most of us "remodel" the camper afterwards anyway.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...once you've paid the big money for the fiberglass mold you could eventually bring the cost down ? maybe ?
Another nice thought, but that Shuttle has been around for quite a while (a decade or more?) and the moulds for most of our eggs are used for decades, passed along from company to company. It just costs a lot to build stuff, especially in low volume production and with expensive materials.

By the way, the Trailers Unlimited makes all lengths of Shuttle shell in the same mould, laying in the fiberglass only as far as required and trimming the end to the desired length before fitting the shell to a rear opening frame and adding the doors (remember, this is a cargo trailer). That's making good use of one mould (per width).They even make extra-long shells by moulding more of the straight section - presumably in that same mould again - and splicing it on to the back.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium