Subaru hitch needed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan and a 2011 Scamp 13' (see my avatar). I bought the car never dreaming that I would tow a trailer yet as it turned out the Scamp was the perfect choice. Nevermind that there are few trailers that are light enough to be towed by a sedan. As it turned out the Subaru is an excellent tow vehicle. We had a U-Haul after-market tow package installed. Using the advice of the Scamp salespeople we made sure that the hitch was at the proper height. We soon found that our hitch, with or without the ball extension, scrapes a bit on low mounds or speed bumps. Yes, it's annoying but not a deal breaker. I want my next car to be a Subaru Outback and am appreciative of this forum thread as I am learning so much about Subaru hitches. From what I've heard from others, next time I'll get a factory-installed hitch for the Subaru.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I installed a Curt hitch on our 2012 Forester.
Subaru Forester Wired and Hitched

If you look at the pictures in my post you will see that the after market hitch attaches to preexisting holes in the structural tubes at the rear of the vehicle. The OEM hitch attaches to the studs located at the end of those tubes. Clearly, Subaru thinks that's a better way to do it. Raz

Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Not sure if this helps for an Outback but I had a dealer hitch on a 2008 Subaru Forester (Class I) and last year installed a Curt Class II hitch for towing my Scamp 16. They seem to be the same height/ground clearance.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #18

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan and a 2011 Scamp 13' (see my avatar). I bought the car never dreaming that I would tow a trailer yet as it turned out the Scamp was the perfect choice. Nevermind that there are few trailers that are light enough to be towed by a sedan. As it turned out the Subaru is an excellent tow vehicle. We had a U-Haul after-market tow package installed. Using the advice of the Scamp salespeople we made sure that the hitch was at the proper height. We soon found that our hitch, with or without the ball extension, scrapes a bit on low mounds or speed bumps. Yes, it's annoying but not a deal breaker. I want my next car to be a Subaru Outback and am appreciative of this forum thread as I am learning so much about Subaru hitches. From what I've heard from others, next time I'll get a factory-installed hitch for the Subaru.
Hi Gilda,
I have a 2004 Legacy wagon that I got in Alaska that has a hitch already on it but, I never thought I'd be towning anything either... I'm hoping to buy Randy's Trillium 4500 in a couple weeks. NOW I realize that I better have my hitch checked out. The car may have had its tow days in Alaska before I bought it and who knows what is going on with that ol hitch.
Jen
Old 11-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
I have a 2016 Outback. I got the dealer to install the Subaru hitch before I took delivery. It was more expensive but after watching videos of the hitch install procedure I felt better having the dealer put it on. There was bodywork to remove and some after market hitches require new holes to be drilled and I didn't want that done to my brand new car unless it was done by a Subaru mechanic. Just my personal preference. I will have to add a brake controller if I ever want to pull a travel trailer. My main purpose for the hitch was a bike rack or utility trailer but now I'm looking at these 13 foot Scamps and I think one would look good behind my Outback.