Subaru hitch needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Question Subaru hitch needed?

Just asking opinions... I am all set to get a hitch installed by the respected business in town, where everyone goes for hitches. It has suggested the genuine Subaru hitch option is much better. The cost is substantially more... they say it sits higher and doesn't hit ground .... (I am getting a 13 ft. Scamp and not going off roads) Any input that might help me?? (my car is a 16 Outback) assume someone might have experience...
Carolyn N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I think this question can be answered best at the Outback Forum. The factory hitch has drawbacks. There is an aftermarket hitch that does not hangdown so low. I have a Curt hitch and never had a dragging problem, but it is not real pretty.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
U haul put a good hitch on my 15 outback. Does the job well.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hideden Hitch

Hello,

There was a similar incident with my 2012 Outback.
The dealer wanted over $600 for the purchase and
installation of and 1 1/4" hitch. I ordered a 2" Class III
hitch etrailer.com with the wiring harness and shipping
for about $220? The istallation was straightforward with
the biggest problem being snagging the end of the wiring
harness that resided behind the interior trim over the
left rear wheel well. The hitch took about 45 minutes to
install while it took me about 2 hours finish the wiring by
making little hook to pull the harness down and to cut
the restraining tape using an Exacto knife and an
inspection mirror. Whew!

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=2012301697

I have never managed to scrape the hitch on the ground
and the installation is hardly noticeable when not in use.

Good Luck, Larry H.
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
hi, i have a 2012 forester and a 13ft scamp. i decided to go the genuine route mainly because i thought it might help the resale value. however, i didn't live the 'tab' wire for the electrical hookups and had a local rv place convert it to a 7 pin round connector mounted in the rear bumper.

i know of others who have gone the uhaul and other route to install and i don't know any reason why they wouldn't work as well.

jondsw of sequim
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I have the factory hitch on my '14 Outback. The socket comes out of the fairing below the bumper and as such does not hang below the car. There is a crescent shaped area in the middle of the fairing which is cut out to allow for the factory hitch. However, the stinger I use to make the trailer tow level does drop down and I have had it catch on some curbs if I crossed them at a 90 degree angle, especially if the drive way has a fairly steep slope to it. What actually drags is the extended bolt on the bottom of the ball, which I haven't taken the time to cut shorter.

I would recommend that you first talk to the hitch installers and find out what the height of the hitch socket is, measured from ground to the top of the socket, on their Outback hitch. Then with the trailer level and your trailer ball latched in the trailer hitch, measure from the bottom of the ball base, not the bolt, to ground. The difference between the two is the drop your stinger will need to tow level. This is not an exact science, as drops are usually rounded off and at best you will get approximately level towing, which is sufficient.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I had two after market Class II hitches installed on my 07 Outback and if I was starting from scratch I would go with the one Subaru is offering. Unfortunately Subaru was not making their own Class II hitches at the time I need one they only had Class I.

Of the two after market ones I used (both big name brands) one did sit a bit higher than the other giving more ground clearance (I think it may have been the Hidden Hitch but can not recall for sure). But both sat below the back bumper unlike the Subaru factory hitch that as Clif pointed out sits a bit higher as there is a factory cut out a a section of the plastic in the rear to allow it to do so.

Neither mounted using all the factory provided hitch mounting points so it requiring new attachment points to be drilled (which did not make me happy) that were not as reinforced as the factory mounting points. - although one was better than the other in that regard. As far as the mounting and location of the actual electrical plug on the two after makers - neither was great. Actually fiddled around and changed out the parts for the mounting of the plug a few times to try and come up with the best solution - so it was sitting up high and so that it did not tend to wiggle around to much when plugged in.

The factory hitch may cost a bit more but personally think that knowing its connected using the factory reinforced mounting points, having it sit and inch or two higher and a nice solid electrical plug make it worth the extra cost.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You mentioned that you had a 2016 model. Were there any trim or structural changes since 2015 than may be causing the issue? Maybe the source doesn't have a hitch for 2016 listed and is opting to install the OEM part.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Profit margin is another big incentive the installer may consider.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
I got my hitch and electrical wiring at U-Haul for my 13 ft Scamp, pulled by my Subaru Outback...no problems - everything works great. It was speedy and most cost effective. I've had no problems. "Git 'er done".
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
I have a 2014 Outback and I with with the Torque Lift Ecohitch hitch. I picked it because it does not sit as low as some of the other brands. The 2015-2016 is different than the one I got but is still looks very hidden.

I see you are in Washington .Here is where I had mine installed. It took less than an hour.

Torklift Central | 2015-2016 Subaru Outback EcoHitch - Outback - Subaru - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jeremy that does indeed look like it fits much higher than either of the two after market hitches I had installed on my Outback - one of which was a Hidden Hitch
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I got an aftermarket hitch and wiring adapter at etrailer.com for my 08 Outback. Looks good. Just wish I had ordered the 2" vs the 1 1/4" hitch since then I could use the same drawbars and bike racks that my truck uses without having to use adapters.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My comment is based on a recent experience. My sister-in-law bought a brand new Toyota Highlander and ordered the hitch as part of the original purchase. When she picked it up I was surprised to see that the hitch they installed was a Curt hitch and not the factory Toyota. The hitch worked fine towing her Casita, but later that summer I noticed all the plastic under the bumper and starting to migrate onto the plastic bumper cover was all melting.

On closer inspection the Curt hitch was sitting right in front of the tailpipe and was causing the exhaust to be redirected towards the plastic rear covers. When the dealership was questioned it appears the salesman was trying to save some money (or make himself more) and had the aftermarket hitch installed rather than the more expensive OEM hitch.

The dealership is now replacing all the rear plastic and installing an original OEM Toyota hitch. If my sister-in-law had this hitch installed after she took delivery she would be paying the price for repairs rather than the dealer.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan and a 2011 Scamp 13' (see my avatar). I bought the car never dreaming that I would tow a trailer yet as it turned out the Scamp was the perfect choice. Nevermind that there are few trailers that are light enough to be towed by a sedan. As it turned out the Subaru is an excellent tow vehicle. We had a U-Haul after-market tow package installed. Using the advice of the Scamp salespeople we made sure that the hitch was at the proper height. We soon found that our hitch, with or without the ball extension, scrapes a bit on low mounds or speed bumps. Yes, it's annoying but not a deal breaker. I want my next car to be a Subaru Outback and am appreciative of this forum thread as I am learning so much about Subaru hitches. From what I've heard from others, next time I'll get a factory-installed hitch for the Subaru.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I installed a Curt hitch on our 2012 Forester.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hed-52650.html

If you look at the pictures in my post you will see that the after market hitch attaches to preexisting holes in the structural tubes at the rear of the vehicle. The OEM hitch attaches to the studs located at the end of those tubes. Clearly, Subaru thinks that's a better way to do it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Not sure if this helps for an Outback but I had a dealer hitch on a 2008 Subaru Forester (Class I) and last year installed a Curt Class II hitch for towing my Scamp 16. They seem to be the same height/ground clearance.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #18

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan and a 2011 Scamp 13' (see my avatar). I bought the car never dreaming that I would tow a trailer yet as it turned out the Scamp was the perfect choice. Nevermind that there are few trailers that are light enough to be towed by a sedan. As it turned out the Subaru is an excellent tow vehicle. We had a U-Haul after-market tow package installed. Using the advice of the Scamp salespeople we made sure that the hitch was at the proper height. We soon found that our hitch, with or without the ball extension, scrapes a bit on low mounds or speed bumps. Yes, it's annoying but not a deal breaker. I want my next car to be a Subaru Outback and am appreciative of this forum thread as I am learning so much about Subaru hitches. From what I've heard from others, next time I'll get a factory-installed hitch for the Subaru.
Hi Gilda,
I have a 2004 Legacy wagon that I got in Alaska that has a hitch already on it but, I never thought I'd be towning anything either... I'm hoping to buy Randy's Trillium 4500 in a couple weeks. NOW I realize that I better have my hitch checked out. The car may have had its tow days in Alaska before I bought it and who knows what is going on with that ol hitch.
Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
I have a 2016 Outback. I got the dealer to install the Subaru hitch before I took delivery. It was more expensive but after watching videos of the hitch install procedure I felt better having the dealer put it on. There was bodywork to remove and some after market hitches require new holes to be drilled and I didn't want that done to my brand new car unless it was done by a Subaru mechanic. Just my personal preference. I will have to add a brake controller if I ever want to pull a travel trailer. My main purpose for the hitch was a bike rack or utility trailer but now I'm looking at these 13 foot Scamps and I think one would look good behind my Outback.
Dwg12 is offline   Reply With Quote