Subaru Outback Brake Controller Wiring ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Has anyone installed a brake controller in a Subaru Outback ? There does not appear to be any easy way to get the wires thru the firwall. The 2 wiring gromets that are in the firewall are on the passender side and up high in the firewall where you can't get to them without taking the dash apart. I am reluctant to drill a hole in the firewall and wondered if anyone had any experience with an Outback or other suggestions ?
Mikeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

I noticed several lookers, but no answers...

I did not try to install mine myself. While it was somewhat expensive, I felt that for me, it was worth it in the long run to let a paid installer do it. They ran the connections for my charge line at the same time, installing all the proper diodes that I would have been clueless about.

Hopefully, someone else will be along shortly with better information...
Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've been at this for a while?!? Found a previous topic from last July here:
Scamp to Subaru trailer wiring

I guess you haven't found the answer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
I am reluctant to drill a hole in the firewall and wondered if anyone had any experience with an Outback or other suggestions ?
I installed an electronic deer alarm in our 2005 Outback. You're right about your comments, just to get a couple small wires through the firewall was a pain. The gromets that are used for the factory installed wire harnesses leave no room for anything else and I didn't want to drill hole. I did manage, with some effort, to get them through an existing entry on the drivers side. I assume there is no factory installed connector for a brake controller?
Hopefully others may be able to provide more specific information. It would be helpful to know year of Outback. Good luck.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Drill hole, install grommet.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Has anyone installed a brake controller in a Subaru Outback ? There does not appear to be any easy way to get the wires thru the firwall. The 2 wiring gromets that are in the firewall are on the passender side and up high in the firewall where you can't get to them without taking the dash apart. I am reluctant to drill a hole in the firewall and wondered if anyone had any experience with an Outback or other suggestions ?
Did you figure this out? I had one installed last spring on an 07 Outback. No Drilling needed and no taking the dash apart. They ran the wire underside and then up to the engine area on the drivers side and then put the wire through the fire wall at a spot on the drivers side were another wire (white?) was already running through. From there they were able to fish it out from under the steering wheel area. They mounted the unit on the fuse box cover on the lower left hand side of drivers side.. It is very easy for the driver to read and adjust from there - only problem is that I sometimes hit my knee on it getting out of the car. I wanted to mount it in the spot were the GPS is suppose to go but we thought that would mean taking the dash apart.
Happy to send you a photo of were they went through the fire wall if that would help.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I did figure this out. There is a grommet with wires running thru it on the driver side but it is not on the firewall. It is on the side, exits into the wheel well and is covered by the inner fender. I had to remove the front drivers side inner fender and then was able to fish the wires through into the engine compartment.

Yes I did have a similiar post about a year ago. At that time I installed a controller in a Subaru Forester. (Much easier job) Unfortunatly the car was totaled in a rear end collision. Replaced it with a Subaru outback that I am now setting up to tow my Scamp.

Thanks for the replys !
Mikeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
I did figure this out. There is a grommet with wires running thru it on the driver side but it is not on the firewall. It is on the side, exits into the wheel well and is covered by the inner fender. I had to remove the front drivers side inner fender and then was able to fish the wires through into the engine compartment.
That sounds familiar.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #9

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
In the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeny View Post

Yes I did have a similiar post about a year ago. At that time I installed a controller in a Subaru Forester. (Much easier job) Unfortunatly the car was totaled in a rear end collision. Replaced it with a Subaru outback that I am now setting up to tow my Scamp.

Thanks for the replys !
I just bought a 2008 outback wagon and had them install the oem hitch rcvr.
The car has a flat 4 in it but Im trying to wire in my Prodigy P2 and encountering the same issues. I will be using it to haul a 13'Scamp as well.
How has your setup worked out?

Thanks, Rob T
Not Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Lost View Post
I just bought a 2008 outback wagon and had them install the oem hitch rcvr.
The car has a flat 4 in it but Im trying to wire in my Prodigy P2 and encountering the same issues. I will be using it to haul a 13'Scamp as well.
How has your setup worked out?
Thread is from 2008 and Mikeny hasn't been around for quite a while…
Last Activity: 02-22-2010 05:22 PM

Hopefully another Outback owner will chime in.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
On the Forester I found a rubber plug with wires on the side up above the hood latch. I cut a small slit for the power wires. Not sure about the Outback but they might be similar. I picked up the brake light signal on the light. converter input. good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #12

Colorado
Thanks

Will look to see if there is anything similar.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I know it' $300.00 but have you thought about wireless?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
What concern is there with a small firewall hole? Seems benign to me.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I know it' $300.00 but have you thought about wireless?
Wireless doesn't help if you want a charge line from the battery...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #16

Colorado
and I do. Will post whatever I come up with
Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
What concern is there with a small firewall hole? Seems benign to me.
John, it would surprise you where water can creep in - the fewer holes the better in the fire wall. Especially if you live on the Wet Coast. If you make any holes in the firewall or the rubber grommets on it, its best to reseal it well once the wire has been put through it.

Rob, I had installed a P2 Controller on an Outback of similar vintage and the wires where run through a rubber grommet on the fire wall on the drivers side. We then sealed it up with some super duper sealer. Unfortunately the car is not here so I can't check location of the grommet for you.

If you go to E-Trailer - Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2010 Subaru Outback Wagon Video they will show you how its done.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #18

Colorado
Outback/Scamp

Thanks, found and printed the instructions and am proceeding.
How well did your Outback do with the Scamp?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
A wireless controller such as a Tekonsha Prodigy RF could be installed without any drilling through your firewall. All you need to do is run a 12V charge wire from the battery (use a solenoid and fuse) to the 7-pin connector. The brake controller module mounts on your trailer frame. Only device used inside the car is the remote for the brake controller which plugs into a 12V charger plug inside your vehicle and can be stuck onto nearly any surface in the car with two sided Velcro tape. Mine has been functioning flawlessly since I installed it two years ago.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
John, it would surprise you where water can creep in - the fewer holes the better in the fire wall. Especially if you live on the Wet Coast. If you make any holes in the firewall or the rubber grommets on it, its best to reseal it well once the wire has been put through it.
Thanks for the tip Carol. I had a pro shop do the install and assumed sealing was standard practice. You know what they say about assume, so I think I will check it myself and make sure its water tight.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote