Subaru Outback manual discontinued in 2015 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Subaru Outback manual discontinued in 2015

I'm corresponding with a local Subaru dealer about what they have available, and they noted that the Outbacks with manual transmission will be discontinued for 2015.

From my hunting around various infos about tow-capable not-huge cars, the Outback seemed like the last man standing in terms of having an available manual transmission, which I prefer because often after we park the Burro we're head off driving some slightly questionable off-road situations and I don't like auto for that context.

Well, apparently the market research says almost nobody wants these anyway since they seem to be so uncommon.

Just FYI for anybody considering those models.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jen, my first two Outbacks had manual transmissions but I reluctantly went with an automatic when I purchased my last one. Subaru has what they call a Sport Mode you can switch over to that allows you to shift the car using the centre gear shifter as you would a manual. Not as great as the manual shift but more or less does the same thing. I used it fairly often when towing and when running the car without the trailer on some pretty crazy rough roads - thus the reason I know what it costs to replace the tires air pressure valve as well as a heat shield, due to encounters with large rocks ;-)

The fact they are offering only an automatic in 2015 would not concern me as much as what type of transmission it is.... my automatic is not the CVT. I would check the Subaru forums to see what people have to say about the CVT and if anyone has been towing any amount of time with one. It appears though that many of the manufactures have made the switch to CVT so it may not be a biggie.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
That sucks. I hope it stays available in the legacy. That's the reason I bought mine. If it's the cvt, I hope they improve it, because it was gutless in the '11s.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Boo, hoo! I'm a great fan of my 2008 Subaru Legacy with manual transmission and it tows our 13' Scamp like a champ. I have been dreaming of getting an Outback next time, though. In 2008 the Honda dealer (we were shopping around at that time) said only one in 40 cars they sold were stick-shift. I'd like to know from our FGRV folks what tow vehicles along the line of Subarus with manual transmission would you recommend?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #5

Registry
Buy a 2014 Outback manual shift while you still can.

Glida there has been a discussion going on for a few days on that topic over at the thread New Tow Vehicle for Scamp 13 Standard: Your thoughts. Lots of different options/opinions put forward.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for the referral to the thread regarding tow vehicles. I'm looking at it now.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
When I bought my 2012 Forester the salesman tried to convince me I did not want to tow with a manual. I said no, I did not want to tow with an automatic!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I'm corresponding with a local Subaru dealer about what they have available, and they noted that the Outbacks with manual transmission will be discontinued for 2015.

From my hunting around various infos about tow-capable not-huge cars, the Outback seemed like the last man standing in terms of having an available manual transmission, which I prefer because often after we park the Burro we're head off driving some slightly questionable off-road situations and I don't like auto for that context.

Well, apparently the market research says almost nobody wants these anyway since they seem to be so uncommon.

Just FYI for anybody considering those models.
I feel your pain. Not because I think an automatic will not suffice in the application you refer. Modern automatics have many more capabilities than automatics of yesteryear. But, let's face it, manuals are just more fun. I think the auto industry is determined to remove the joy of driving from our lives. We even hear talk of automobiles with self driving ability. Dealers tell us it is because American's are too lazy or unskilled to drive manuals and they don't sell. My response is how can we buy a manual when we can't find one. Give me a manual transmission, and take away the power windows, automatic door locks, tire pressure sensors, ABS brakes, and God for sakes blue tooth to make me a happy camper!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
In 1964, when I learned to drive, my HS basketball coach, who was the instructor, claimed that manual transmissions were becoming obsolete, so he taught us on an automatic. I suppose he was just a man way beyond his time, since his prediction seems to be becoming true.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you spend an hour a day commuting in stop-and-go traffic, you will appreciate the automatic transmission.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you spend an hour a day commuting in stop-and-go traffic, you will appreciate the automatic transmission.
I do, and much more. I guess I'm just shifty.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer:
"Subaru Outback manual discontinued in 2015"

Oh, right - it's the manual transmission that you can't get from 2015. I thought Subaru were going to start saying "we have put all those fancy diagrams on all the switches, so you work out for yourself which one does what"....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
"Subaru Outback manual discontinued in 2015"

Oh, right - it's the manual transmission that you can't get from 2015. I thought Subaru were going to start saying "we have put all those fancy diagrams on all the switches, so you work out for yourself which one does what"....
you may be onto something Andrew. It would sure save a few trees if auto makers didn't bother to include a paper manual for their cars... it would seem few people bother to read them anyways!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

Nope. Denver, Minneapolis, still prefer a manual that isn't allowed to have a mind of its own.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #15

Registry
Funny enough I was very reluctant to go with an automatic having always driven manuals but found as some suggest it is rather nice to have the automatic when driving in city rush hour traffic. At low speeds having a mind of its own really a none issue with mine - it doesnt do the hunting for a gear as it does when traveling at higher speeds on hills etc - find kicking it over into sport mode when it starts to hunt on hills solves that issue as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In a previous thread I posted this about my experience with my Subaru 2012 Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Ours is the manual. The vehicle has adequate power to pull a 13' egg but watch your tongue weight. There is a 200 lb limit. The automatic should do better than the manual. We gave up towing with ours because of the "hill holder" clutch. It and the gearing make hill starts with the extra weight difficult without burning the clutch.
Another member posted this response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
I tow with a 2010 manual forester and I've had no real issues with it or the hill holder system. I primarily tow in the mountains and I'd rather use a manual transmission than worry about an automatic transmission over heating. That might be personal preference though as I don't own any automatic vehicles.

However, I do find it somewhat gutless, but for my slow lazy towing it's worked out ok. Just wish it could tow uphill a bit better.

I've never owned an automatic until I bought my first Frontier in 2009. In 40 years I never replaced a clutch or experienced clutch burn until I bought the Subaru. Living in the mountains, starting on steep hills is much more likely. I came to the conclusion that the clutch life would be drastically reduced if I continued to tow with the car. Since we have the truck this was not a big decision. I may be wrong but I believe the Outback employs the same "hill holder" system programed into the ABS system. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Registry
Correct me If I am wrong Raz but it is my understanding that the Forester didn't/doesnt give the driver the ability to shut off or on the hill assist option as the Outback does with a simple push of a button on the dash.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Correct me If I am wrong Raz but it is my understanding that the Forester didn't/doesnt give the driver the ability to shut off or on the hill assist option as the Outback does with a simple push of a button on the dash.
You can disable the vehicle stability control but not the hill holder. Earlier (Foresters 2009?) used a cable connected to the rear brakes that could be disconnected. The newer ones are programmed and I was told they can't be shut off. Also I was told the Outback was the same. Was I misinformed?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #19

Registry
On newer models of the Outback with the newer hill holding system as far as I am aware there is a button on the dash that allows you to engage or disengage the hill holder option which I don't believe is on the Forester (the button that is) or at least as I recall it wasn't a couple of years ago when I looked at the Forester. The button on the Outback to turn off or on the hill holder option is located beside the electronic emergency brake button.

It looked like this on the 2010 Outback:
Attached Thumbnails
470_946649.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Hill assist gives me no trouble while towing. I haven't had to start on any steep hills, though (not sure why I would unless I was driving in Seattle!)

However, I'm not fond of manual in stop and go traffic. Luckily I'm rarely doing that.

When I bought the 2000 Forester, the dealer in Fresno was not interested at all in finding a manual for me. I went to Porterville (to a shop that no longer sells Subarus) and that dealer was very willing both to find one and to deal.

When I bought the 2012, all the dealers were willing to find me one (I think they all found the same one.) (I was also specific about color and roof rack.) But for sure most of the models available were automatics.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote