Subaru Outback Towing a 16' Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm so happy I was able to start a thread that turned out to be so popular regarding hitch noises and other things! The question of a Subaru pulling a 16-footer ran out of gas long ago. I guess I got my answer.....not many doing it.

Parker

Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I'm so happy I was able to start a thread that turned out to be so popular regarding hitch noises and other things! The question of a Subaru pulling a 16-footer ran out of gas long ago. I guess I got my answer.....not many doing it.

Parker
Parker I have been doing it for 3 years. Older 16' Scamp with a side bath/shower basic 07 Subaru Outback. Been up and down the US west Coast twice, over the mountains in Washington & BC **many** times. Been in the montains in 107 degree weather and in snow! :-) Stick to the speed limit and all is well. You need to watch your tongue weight though as that is the only issue with the Subaru. Get a good brake controller. I get an average in the mountains about 20 miles to the US gallon. This is my 3rd Outback and I suspect that due to the amount of towing I have done it may be having a harder life than the previous ones so I may consider trading it a bit sooner than the others (kept them on average 6 years). Having said that though I have not had any problems with this one at all.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Guys,

Exactly the sort of comments I'm interested in. We pull our 13' Scamp like it isn't even there with our 3.0L Outback, so I was wondering about how we might do with the 16' model. We often talk about moving up to something slightly larger (really, it's mostly about having a shower and flush toilet for places without facilities), but that invariably leads to discussions of a new tow vehicle, burning more gas for day-to-day use, significant outlay of cash, etc. So then we decide we'll stick with what we have. If I thought we could pull the 16' Scamp (my guess is it's slightly lighter than a Casita, but I haven't confirmed) it would be tempting. I don't want to end up with a slug in the hills, though.

Thanks. Hope there are some others out there to comment!

Parker
How about a 13 Scamp with a shower and a flush toilet??
works great for us!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

The thing about Subarus is that they vary in tow rating depending on the year and engine. You can't just say 'tow with a Subaru'. You have to know which year, etc. Again, the final say is in the Owner's Manual. It says in there what you have to do to tow, how much you can tow, etc. Our (year) 2000 Subaru is only rated for towing 2000# with the 2.2L engine, so we are limited to a 13' egg.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2974__Medium_.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Parker I have been doing it for 3 years. Older 16' Scamp with a side bath/shower basic 07 Subaru Outback. Been up and down the US west Coast twice, over the mountains in Washington & BC **many** times. Been in the montains in 107 degree weather and in snow! :-) Stick to the speed limit and all is well. You need to watch your tongue weight though as that is the only issue with the Subaru. Get a good brake controller. I get an average in the mountains about 20 miles to the US gallon. This is my 3rd Outback and I suspect that due to the amount of towing I have done it may be having a harder life than the previous ones so I may consider trading it a bit sooner than the others (kept them on average 6 years). Having said that though I have not had any problems with this one at all.
Carol,

Thanks for your reply. This is encouraging news. We just completed a 5400 mile trip from Ohio to Idaho, Yellowstone, Tetons, and home pulling our 13' Scamp with our 05 LL Bean Outback. We could pretty well pick any speed we wanted to climb the mountains as long as we kept the revs above 3,000. We were pretty heavily loaded for a 13-er, carrying an external air conditioner, Honda generator, clothes for widely varying weather conditions, lots of food, etc. We seem to have gobs of power with the 3.0 liter six cylinder engine (although we don't get your mileage while towing....closer to 16.5), so we're returning to the idea of a 16' Scamp. We would like a little more space to organize our stuff, and would really like the shower as we often stay in national parks. I understand tongue weight may be an issue. Our Subaru is rated for 3,000#, but the tongue weight limit remains at 200#, so we'll have to watch that with a 16' Scamp.

Thanks again,
Parker
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Is that ball hitch weight or with a WDH ?

The reason I ask is my hitch is 300lb ball hitch and 500lb WDH

My tongue weight is 325lb and trailer with everything but food and cloth's is 2700lb

2009 16' side dinette with front bath.

Bill K
Quote:
I understand tongue weight may be an issue. Our Subaru is rated for 3,000#, but the tongue weight limit remains at 200#, so we'll have to watch that with a 16' Scamp.

Thanks again,
Parker
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We've got a (1984)16' with shower/toilet that we have been towinq quite nicely all summer with the 2005 Outback. Up and down the Sierra Nevada and CA coast. We do have a brake controller that helps with control. It tows and handles really well.
Diane D

Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Is that ball hitch weight or with a WDH ?

The reason I ask is my hitch is 300lb ball hitch and 500lb WDH

My tongue weight is 325lb and trailer with everything but food and cloth's is 2700lb

2009 16' side dinette with front bath.

Bill K
Bill,

That's the simple hitch weight, straight from the manual. I don't know what the options are with a WDH (and whether or not I can put one on the Subaru). When I talked with Scamp, they said I may want to run with some water in the tank to help lighten the hitch weight, but I didn't expect it to be as high as your numbers. Based on your overall weight, 200# hitch weight might be too light to handle well. I wonder if the front bath setup has a higher hitch weight than some other models. I'll be talking with Scamp again today, and I'll try to find out. Naturally, they want to state the lightest weights possible.

Thanks for the email. I'd like to be hearing lighter numbers, but now's the time to find out!

Parker
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #23

Quote:
We've got a (1984)16' with shower/toilet that we have been towinq quite nicely all summer with the 2005 Outback.
Diane,

Do you happen to know the weight of your Scamp and what the hitch weight might be? Is it the side shower model by chance? Your message is really encouraging. It seems that this is doable within the Subaru limits if we are careful with our choice of setup. We do have a brake controller, so we're ready in that regard.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I tow a 16-foot Scamp with an '04 Forester XS, manual transmission, non-turbo. It works very well, even on Colorado mountain passes. I highly recommend manual transmissions for their ability to hold you back on hills without using the brakes. The Scamp is a very light 16'er, however, with no bathroom or fridge and only a couple of gallons of water onboard. Fully but lightly loaded, the trailer scales around 2,000 lbs. It needs at least 160 lbs tongue weight, and prefers a little more. Tongue weight is the limiting factor with these cars. I know of no easy way to increase the loadbearing capacity of Subaru's MacPherson strut rear suspension. My car's butt squats noticeably when hitched up, and the low beams become higher beams.

IMHO, the good news is that you can tow a 16-foot Scamp with your car. But the other, badder news is that you probably shouldn't carry enough water to use that nice bathroom & shower. That wouldn't keep you from running dry and filling up and dumping promptly at campgrounds, but there's less convenience with that.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #25

Quote:
IMHO, the good news is that you can tow a 16-foot Scamp with your car. But the other, badder news is that you probably shouldn't carry enough water to use that nice bathroom & shower. That wouldn't keep you from running dry and filling up and dumping promptly at campgrounds, but there's less convenience with that.
John,

That would be our mode of operation. We mostly only need/want the shower for staying in national parks, which we've really come to enjoy. We just spent three weeks in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, and an on-board shower and a little more space for our stuff would certainly have been welcome. I'm still pondering all this. There are other issues, like finding full-time storage for a larger trailer, indoors if at all possible. Meanwhile, I'm doing some work on our 13', which easily fits in the garage. And that external container attached to our sink drain and the porta-potty are considerably less complicated than gray and black water systems!

Thanks for your comments.
Parker
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #26

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
I have an 08 Outback with the 2.5 rated at 2700 lbs with brakes. I'm looking at moving up from my pop-up to a fiberglass camper, which I could always pull with my truck, but I find that I prefer using the outback for camping over the truck and for driving around after unhitching. I think a 16 ft camper might be a little more than I want to tow with the Suby since my hitch weight is restricted to 200 lbs, and it seems the 16 ft campers exceed that even at the dry weight. I don't know the Scamp hitch weight, but Casita advertises the hitch weight dry as 215 Standard and 255 Deluxe, before adding options or personal items.
I don't really want to deal with draining tanks and we carry a porta potty so I'm considering buying a 13 ft camper with either a front gaucho or a front dinette, so we could leave the bed made up all the time.
I'm sure your 3.0 would have a smoother power delivery than my 2.5 and be well capable of towing a 16 ft Scamp, but I believe the hitch weight would be higher than what Subaru recommends.

John H

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi John H

This has been a very good discussion for me because I am looking for a new second car and want to check out the Subaru Forester with the thought that it could also work as a tow vehicle.

Our bare bones Scamp 13 weighs about 1600 lbs lightly loaded and our hitch weight is near 200 lb. We work at keeping it light weight. I really can't figure out how one could keep the weight down in a 16. Our 13 drags down the Odyssey so that night driving would be bad for the guy coming at us (we don't drive night). Van still handles well so we haven't gone to the WDH.

Subaru only uses a 1 1/4 inch receiver, doesn't it? I would think that also be a problem for 16 foot trailers.

We considered going up to a 16 but after some thought and a visit to the Scamp factory decided we really, really like our little 13 without privacy room.

Keep the thread going.

Nancy
Old 11-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

We've discussed this before, see if these topics help:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=37879

AND:

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=24262

AND:

http://www.rvtravel.com/rvforum/viewtopic.php?t=6146

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp