Subaru Outback Towing a 16' Scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #41

Name: Ken
Trailer: Plans for a Lil Snoozy
Virginia
Wow, that was fast. We plan to pick up our 13' with all the extra weight of a toilet and shower and A/C. I don't remember from various threads, but do you have an added transmission cooler (or is your Subie a manual transmission)?
Ken in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in SW VA View Post
Wow, that was fast. We plan to pick up our 13' with all the extra weight of a toilet and shower and A/C. I don't remember from various threads, but do you have an added transmission cooler (or is your Subie a manual transmission)?
We have the added weight of the toilet, shower, and A/C also. Weighed it on the CAT scale with a full load including full fresh water and hot water tanks to ensure we didn't exceed the 2700 lb Subaru limit, although we normally travel lighter than the full load. Subaru specifies an 8-11% tongue weight.
I added a trans cooler as extra insurance, as well as a brake controller, although the Subaru seems to have great cooling capacity. My temp gauge seems to be the same spot whether I'm solo or towing, but I haven't pulled it up any really big hills yet.
The 13' Scamp should be an even easier combination to pull than the 16, as it's probably at least a couple hundred pounds lighter.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #43

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I tow my 13' Scamp with a 4 cylinder 2011 Outback. It tows beautifully. It should, too.. as the European version has nearly a 4,000 pound tow rating with the same engine/trans combo. I have not added anything other than the tow hitch (Curt 2" receiver) and the lighting converter. The Outback is pre-wired for lights but not for a brake controller. I may be adding a brake controller if and when I add brakes to the Scamp. I really don't feel that I need it, but I am probably going to be replacing the axle, anyway... so a brake upgrade wouldn't cost too much.

I was impress with the Subie when I had to pull the Scamp up a steep hill that was wet and covered in fall leaves. It didn't even think of losing traction!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #44

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft

Here is a youtube video that proves the Subaru is underrated in tow capacity. Well, sort of...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #45

Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Registry
Hey,
I am new here but I am happy to report that I just put 780 miles in my 2008 Forester, pulling my 13' Burro. Went from Asheville NC to Louisville KY and back. Those who know, will recognize that means some tough hill climbs on I-75, I-40 and I-64. I already have 110,000 trouble free miles on the Subaru. BTW we were hauling quite a load, doing a trade show. I averaged 60 to 65 mph and got 18mpg. Never any question that the Subaru could handle it.
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #46

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: 1973 Boler
British Columbia
This may sound like a silly question, but how are you guys coming up with these exact tonque weights
in your back yards, how are you weighing it
Happy Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #47

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Haggis View Post
This may sound like a silly question, but how are you guys coming up with these exact tonque weights
I just use a bathroom scale. I measure mine on my driveway, making sure the camper is level front to rear. If it's not level, you'll get an inaccurate reading due to shift of center of gravity between front and rear. My scale is rated to 320 lbs and my tongue is always below that. If you suspect that your tongue weight exceeds your scale capacity, try using this method at the Curt link;
Tongue Weight

I measure the rest of the camper using CAT scales at a truck stop. If you go to a CAT scale, bring a step stool so you can reach up to push the intercom button since they are set at a height for truckers to reach from their truck cab.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #48

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
this is what you should be using to measure your tongue weight and use it inserted/under in your ball receiver, not under your jack.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #49

British Columbia
Thanxs for that guys!! I am not "site savvy' yet so thanks to Honda for the PM also regards HH
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Bonnie, it should be noted that most of the tongue weights that appear on the real world weight list here where not done in back yards by the owners. Frederick who is a member here did the weighing of most of those trailers over a few years at a meet in Bandon Oregon using proper equipment.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
this is what you should be using to measure your tongue weight and use it inserted/under in your ball receiver, not under your jack.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
Thanks for that, with one of these I won't have to fight with anyone over the bathroom scales,the price is quite reasonable too
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for that, with one of these I won't have to fight with anyone over the bathroom scales,the price is quite reasonable too
Nice tool, but how do you balance on it back in the bathroom?!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp