SUV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
SUV

I'm interested in an SUV capable of towing my Bigfoot 17. I want a 7500 tow capacity and I don't want a truck. They no longer sell V8 4-runners in the US. Any suggestions?
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Chevy Suburban , Cadillac Escalade , Ford Expedition , Dodge Durango .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Toyota Sequoia would be my pick.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
The Lexus GX460 has a V8 and seems like a great choice -- about the same size as a 4Runner. Unfortunately very expensive.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hey,

We love our '09 Kia Borrego EX Limited V8 2WD with 337 hp and 323 lb ft of torque that is rated to tow 7,500 lbs!!! It was Kia's answer to the 4 Runner (Great Tug).

Research the Borrego and let me know what you think. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A couple of generations ago some said that sticking to "American make" was foolish and limited the buyers choices by overlooking some "superior" offerings from the "Pacific Rim" manufacturers.
Now it appears that the opposite is true.

Take the time to research your purchase, get something that does the job and offers acceptable value.
I did... and 16 years later I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Brand loyalty can be a blessing or a curse, depending on its true foundation, but it is often based less on some notion of mechanical prowess than (dare I say it) one's "political self image".

While image is important to any brand, there are some which are sold almost exclusively on image alone.
What vehicle comes to mind when you think of the word "Vegan", or Redneck, or elbow patches. Its pretty remarkable how many buyers are really just trying to project a stereotype of themselves.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
It is hard to beat the big American rigs. We have an Expedition . It is rated to tow 9200 lbs. It pulls our Lil Snoozy easily and comfortably. The Caddy and Chevy are equally capable.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
It is hard to beat the big American rigs. We have an Expedition .
Yup. Nail some cedar siding to it and call it a 'Tiny House'.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
A couple of generations ago some said that sticking to "American make" was foolish and limited the buyers choices by overlooking some "superior" offerings from the "Pacific Rim" manufacturers.
Now it appears that the opposite is true.

Take the time to research your purchase, get something that does the job and offers acceptable value.
I did... and 16 years later I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Brand loyalty can be a blessing or a curse, depending on its true foundation, but it is often based less on some notion of mechanical prowess than (dare I say it) one's "political self image".

While image is important to any brand, there are some which are sold almost exclusively on image alone.
What vehicle comes to mind when you think of the word "Vegan", or Redneck, or elbow patches. Its pretty remarkable how many buyers are really just trying to project a stereotype of themselves.
Floyd,

I like your comment. I agree with you even though I am a weird abherration. I have no brand loyalty. I buy based on my research and budget. Over the years I have owned (some new and mostly used):

Oldsmobile, Plymouth (Mitsuibishi), Mazda, Datsun, Toyota, Honda, Volvo, Subaru, Saab, Ford, Mazda again, and with two college daughters currently own:

Kia Rondo
Kia Borrego (tow vehicle)
Honda Fit
Honda Piolet
'67 Chevy Pickup (needs restoring, but runs: green with purple flames)!

Not sure what this says about my image!

I don't know what the future will bring, but I really like a 1/2 ton American made crew cab pickup truck to tow that future Oliver!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
It is hard to beat the big American rigs. We have an Expedition . It is rated to tow 9200 lbs. It pulls our Lil Snoozy easily and comfortably. The Caddy and Chevy are equally capable.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
We also have an Expedition. It sure is nice to be able to tow at 75 mph with no issues when needed. It doesn't even break a sweat towing our 16 footer.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericpa3 View Post
I'm interested in an SUV capable of towing my Bigfoot 17. I want a 7500 tow capacity and I don't want a truck. They no longer sell V8 4-runners in the US. Any suggestions?
We bought a 2017 Audi Q7, which has 7700 lbs towing capacity, to pull our Oliver trailer that we picked up in September. The Audi has been a fantastic car, and Consumers Reports loves it. I get 26 MPG on the highway, and 14 MPG when pulling the Oliver at 65-70 MPH. Next year I will see what mileage I get when I travel at 60 MPH.

One caution with the Audi (and with the similar VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne) is that owner’s manual prohibits use of a weight distribution hitch. My experience has been that it tows the Ollie just fine without a WDH. There are ways to weld on a hitch support that allow use of a WDH.

David
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Floyd,

I don't know what the future will bring, but I really like a 1/2 ton American made crew cab pickup truck to tow that future Oliver!

Take care,

Dean
The Oliver is a great trailer , especially when being towed by a Ford F150 Eco Boost
I use the bumper / window sticker / license plate analysis method.
The stickers / license plates are a pretty good indicator of the make of the vehicle and the owner's personal beliefs.
IE ; You don't see many pro vegan stickers stuck to the bumper of one ton dually pickup truck.
IE: Anytime some one posts , asking for advice on a tow vehicle,
members from certain areas of the country tend to recommend certain vehicles or vehicle manufacturers.

Not as scientific as Floyd's method but it works for me.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Oliver is a great trailer , especially when being towed by a Ford F150 Eco Boost
I use the bumper / window sticker / license plate analysis method.
The stickers / license plates are a pretty good indicator of the make of the vehicle and the owner's personal beliefs.
IE ; You don't see many pro vegan stickers stuck to the bumper of one ton dually pickup truck.
IE: Anytime some one posts , asking for advice on a tow vehicle,
members from certain areas of the country tend to recommend certain vehicles or vehicle manufacturers.

Not as scientific as Floyd's method but it works for me.
But why would you care?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
But why would you care?
The point is that one could tell a person what tow vehicle would work best, based on expertise, experience and objective stats, but that is not usually the real question being asked.
The real question really is more akin to the old trap .... "does my butt look big in these jeans?"
To paraphrase Paul Simon, the buyer has often squandered his resistance for a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises, all lies in jest... still an man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest!

Ultimately more vehicles are bought for fashion or social statements than for utility. Like the Shadow... the seller knows

Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
The point is that one could tell a person what tow vehicle would work best, based on expertise, experience and objective stats, but that is not usually the real question being asked.
The real question really is more akin to the old trap .... "does my butt look big in these jeans?"
Again, I ask why would you care?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Again, I ask why would you care?
It gets complex... but then why would you care?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
To paraphrase Paul Simon, the buyer has often squandered his resistance for a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises, all lies in jest... still an man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest!

Ultimately more vehicles are bought for fashion or social statements than for utility. Like the Shadow... the seller knows

Thanks Floyd , my point exactly only stated more succinctly and more eloquently. .
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...To paraphrase Paul Simon, the buyer has often squandered his resistance for a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises, all lies in jest... still an man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest!

Ultimately more vehicles are bought for fashion or social statements than for utility...
And to misappropriate another classic, with apologies to Paul McCartney,

You'd Think That People Would Have Had Enough Of Silly [Autos].
But I Look Around Me And I See It Isn't So.
Some People Wanna Fill The World With Silly [Autos].
And What's Wrong With That?
I'd Like To Know, 'Cause Here I Go Again...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
We don't know where the OP is from, so we can't make assumptions on that basis.

Jeep Grand Cherokee (and Dodge Durango, I think) have a 7200 lb tow rating with V8. That's pretty close.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The OP is a friend of ours and I can tell you guys that you are WAY off track. I'm sure that suggestions for a practical SUV that will tow a Bigfoot and carry the dogs would be helpful. The rest of the comments are crap.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote