Sway bar again! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Thumbs up

Wife kept complaining that the trailer kept moving around when I swerved or a truck passed or similar. One we looked at before we bought had a sway bar. Doesn't sway much at all but I got to looking at where I could get a sway bar and not spend an arm and leg. I found this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...=26649&src=SRQB

I don't need too much I don't think and the price is right ($53.99) but wondered if I was just wasting my money on this.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I will sell you a new one in the box, Valley Friction, that looks just like the one in the add for $35 Plus shipping.

http://www.valleyorders.com/Public/A...ns/Default.htm

Darwin Maring
Mineral, VA
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I have one of these on my 17' Boler and it does make a difference. You'll need to tinker with how tight you need it before you can feel it working. Are there better products out there...most likely yes. Is it better than nothing at all...yes.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I don't need too much I don't think and the price is right ($53.99) but wondered if I was just wasting my money on this.
You're liable to get 1000 different answers to this question. But each individual can only answer for their particular needs. Each tug and tow handle differently. I'd think it's inexpensive enough that if it provides a level of comfort and reduces the sway to less than you're currently experiencing, then it's worth it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I went to this site and couldn't find a sway bar. Need help!
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #6

Look under equalizing hitch accessories.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #7

Maybe this will help, screenshot from the website:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks, I found it.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
ChrisZ, my experience with friction type sway bars is - they are basically all the same except for the label on the side. The one illustrated in Camping World should accomplish what you want to do and the price is right. I use an identical bar and would not tow without some type of sway control and I have towed many different type of rv's over 80,000 miles . It is too late to purchase when you really need it and even under moderate towing conditions sway control devices provide additional stability and straight line tracking. Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Wife kept complaining that the trailer kept moving around when I swerved or a truck passed or similar. One we looked at before we bought had a sway bar. Doesn't sway much at all but I got to looking at where I could get a sway bar and not spend an arm and leg. I found this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...=26649&src=SRQB

Hi Chris

Just wondering what tow vehicle you have. We tow with a 2004 Odyssey and use a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) .. No sway bar and No problem with swaying ... We feel the mini van definitely needs the WDH.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Hi Chris

Just wondering what tow vehicle you have. We tow with a 2004 Odyssey and use a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) .. No sway bar and No problem with swaying ... We feel the mini van definitely needs the WDH.
Carol.......... I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe so there's no problem with the capacities. Thanks
Darwin......... does yours have everything including the ball and ball plate and all mounting? I think the one from CW does and they have a store about 15 miles from me so no shipping cost.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Carol.......... I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe so there's no problem with the capacities. Thanks
Darwin......... does yours have everything including the ball and ball plate and all mounting? I think the one from CW does and they have a store about 15 miles from me so no shipping cost.
Chris, I have an '02 Scamp 16' CD side dinette that I tow with a Tundra. Mine doesn't move behind the truck at all. Have you tried to isolate the cause of why yours is wiggling? There may be correctable causes that will only be masked by a friction bar sway control. After you've figured out why it wiggles, a friction sway control may yet be in order, but then you have it for an additional measure of control, not to try to control something that may be permanently correctable using other methods.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #13

The box had never been opened. I opened it and it has the Ball and Ball plate, friction unit and bolts and instructions. It is a Valley Industries, dual friction, model number is 07519 RH and I assume the RH stands for Right Hand meaning it connects to the right side of the vehicles.

DR
Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #14

Be Careful:

The front of the friction hitches have a ball receptacle that connects to the Ball installed on the vehicle hitch assembly. Normally, the extra ball assembly is attached to an equalizing hitch.

The equalizing hitch has the 2 inch ball for the trailer and a place to mount the small friction sway ball to the right of it. If you do not have a place to mount the friction ball then you will need to purchase an additional hitch that slides into your receiver so it will work.

You will not need the additional equalizing bars, etc, just the hitch with the 2 (Two) ball mounts.

DR
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Be Careful:

The front of the friction hitches have a ball receptacle that connects to the Ball installed on the vehicle hitch assembly. Normally, the extra ball assembly is attached to an equalizing hitch.

The equalizing hitch has the 2 inch ball for the trailer and a place to mount the small friction sway ball to the right of it. If you do not have a place to mount the friction ball then you will need to purchase an additional hitch that slides into your receiver so it will work.

You will not need the additional equalizing bars, etc, just the hitch with the 2 (Two) ball mounts.

DR
DR ....... All I have is a 2" ball mounted on square bar. It goes into what I call a "reece" hitch but I guess that's just a brand. It came on my Tahoe with trailoring package. I assumed that this "ball plate" mounts under the 2" ball and onto that - mount the small sway bar ball. No?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
If you do not have a place to mount the friction ball then you will need to purchase an additional hitch that slides into your receiver so it will work.
Not necessarily. When I purchased the Reese Sway Bar, it came with an extra plate and the small ball that attaches to the current stinger. I didn't have to purchase a different stinger at all.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes Chris, Reese is a brand name of Cequent Towing Products. In the Reese web site, you can search for "sway control" to see both the Dual-Cam (part of a weight distribution system or WDH) and the friction-type product.

It does not appear that Reese has a ball mount with the mounting point for the extra ball, except as part of the WDH, and the currently displayed kit doesn't seem to have the mounting plate which Donna got, but I have seen them in catalogs. On the other hand, the same company's Draw-Tite line includes bolt-on adapter brackets: search their site for "sway control adapter" to see them. They are also found as part number 26003 (Class 3/4) or 26005 (Class 2) at Hidden Hitch (another Cequent brand).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #18

Registry
Thanks for all the help. I THINK I understand now. Just now have to find the time to go get the parts.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #19
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just another opinion: I've towed with and without one. My tow vehicle is ample and I don't need a WDH. My trailer is well balanced and does well under normal towing conditions. However, I like back hilly roads and have been faced with all sorts of conditions both with it and without it. It's not that I can't "handle" those conditions, but with one I have yet to find anything that I had to handle -- if you know what I mean. Now, I won't leave home without it. I don't NEED one, but it sure makes towing a whole different experience.

FWIW, I installed the entire set up myself. Here's my set up.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch1.JPG   Hitch3.JPG  

Hitch4.JPG  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #20

The picture is worth a thousand words.

The picture completely shows what is required to get the friction device connected to the Tug and Egg.

Some parts of this thread should be saved in the tutorials section so it doesn't have to be explained again.