Sway Bar Bent Plate - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How about "cheap bandaid insurance"!! Some trailers are prone to sway regardless of load and sway control may make the towing more enjoyable. Other trailers, not prone to sway, can be improperly loaded, thereby causing sway.
I think the issue should be addressed by eliminating the need for sway by proper loading and then install sway control for those "on the road" incidents that may arise causing sway.
Mine is installed because it simply tightens the handling of the trailer, I'm sure we would be fine without it, just as we could tow without upgraded tires or suspension mods on the Tow Vehicle, but why?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
....I think the issue should be addressed by eliminating the need for sway by proper loading and then install sway control for those "on the road" incidents that may arise causing sway.
Exactly the approach I would suggest. And in line with Carols comments.
Load then road test to get a known good baseline first. So it really is "extra" insurance. I have nothing against duct tape and bailing wire fixes... just not for the parachute.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Ok I was wrong callling the sway control bar a "bandaid", as a baindaid would generally mean a temporary fix, or quick repair. You could use the sway bar to permanently slow down the effects of a badly loaded trailer. It would be a poor solution though. My trailer came with a sway control bar, so I welded the mount to the draw bar and use it when I tow. I have towed with and without it and have to say the trailer is less busy with the bar attached. The slight inconvenience of hooking it up is minimal. If I didn't own it I would not run out and buy one, as the rig behaves well without it when loaded properly. Do I like it? Yes. Do I need it? No. I find that if I make an abrupt lane change the trailer will wag a little after finishing the lane change when not using the bar. With the bar the trailer settles in faster. The wag could be caused by tire sidewall roll on the trailer and tow vehicle and self corrects itself after two or three cycles.
Russ